Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official agenda of the upcoming ISU Congress

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvYuna View Post
    Pairs jump and throw, ice dancers never do - shouldn't that be enough for the casual viewer to tell the difference? LOL
    Exactly. That's how I'd explain it to a new viewer.

Besides, if they know enough about how many lifts there are, don't they already know how to tell the difference?

To me, the difference between dance lifts and pairs lifts (star lifts, lasso lifts, etc.) is pretty stark already.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    9) Why?

10) Eh, make it 45 seconds.
    To reflect the change of duration in the free skate, if proposal is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    To me, the difference between dance lifts and pairs lifts (star lifts, lasso lifts, etc.) is pretty stark already.
    Indeed! But apparently the NUMBER of lifts is what will make the average viewer able to tell them apart? I'm just... confused....

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Indeed! But apparently the NUMBER of lifts is what will make the average viewer able to tell them apart? I'm just... confused....
    Well maybe you could read the document and get some more explanations. I wrote what i understood in general but it wasn't really that clear to me. :P

If you do please tell us what you understood

Quote Originally Posted by FS.Addict View Post
    Well maybe you could read the document and get some more explanations. I wrote what i understood in general but it wasn't really that clear to me. :P

If you do please tell us what you understood
    Oh, I didn't doubt your interpretation - it's not like I expect everything the ISU does to make sense to me.

But, I did as you suggested - and I couldn't even find it! And I don't even know where to look - there seem to be fifty-eleven thousand or so proposals from all kinds of countries - including pertaining to speed skating, so... Being good at reading official documents is not one of any skill sets I may happen to have, however, so this is no suprise to me. My brain casts a look at any official document, exclaims: "Hang this, I'm off!" - and promptly is gone. Alas.

Tripping on the Podium
    hahaha

In fact, i searched for it but didn't find it. Maybe i wasn't in the right part of the document, but i remember well a proposal having as a reason to make bigger differences between pairs and ice dance. I'm confused !

Quote Originally Posted by FS.Addict View Post
    Besides the elimination of anonymous judging, there are also proposals to:
    1. change every free skate duration to 4 minutes (and 7 jumps instead of 8 for the men)
    2. change the PCs factors so they are the same for men and ladies
    3. allow only two repetitions of each double (including double axel)
    4. count ChSq even if executed before the StSq
    5. allow triple twist in junior pairs short program
    6. up the age limit for junior pairs and ice dance (21 instead of 20 for the men)
    7. EDIT : can't find the proposal anymore, i'm confused... maybe it didn't understand the right thing !
    8. count a triple that is repeated but not combined as a jump executed alone and just give 70% of the base value, instead of counting it as a sequence
    9. remove the choreographic sequence of the pairs free program
    10. give 30 seconds and not 60 seconds for the skater to take his starting position (but 60 seconds for the first skater of the flight)

(These are the ones i remember and that i found more interesting ; i read it very quickly)
    Big NO to 1, 2, 5.
    Not sure about 3 (yes for double axel, but it shouldn't be done for 2T and 2Lo)
    Big YES to 4 and 6
    I still can't see the point of reducing the value of a triple jump if it is executed twice alone: the skater loses the points of the combo, but that shouldn't affect the jump itself for me... It should be marked 3x+COMBO making it count as a "not executed combination" or something like that but without affecting the score of that jump
    Don't really care about 9 and 10: ChSq in Pairs is often boring and awkward, so yes it could be good to remove it, but it doesn't really change a lot... The same for the time allowed to take the starting position: 1 minute is really a lot, but it doesn't really make any difference since most skaters use 20-30 seconds only.
    And... isn't there enough difference between Ice Dance and Pairs?

#TeamAUS
    Im going to repeat this again. If thry want to make pairs and ice dance different, get rid of the dance spin!!
    It saves 15 seconds that are could be used for actual dancing!

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Im going to repeat this again. If thry want to make pairs and ice dance different, get rid of the dance spin!!
    This is actually a good idea, but I would like even more if it became a ChSpin, I think that without having to worry about levels a lot of skaters would come up with interesting ideas!

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Generally speaking, anything that involves counting (e.g., number of lifts) makes my brain explode. Having said that, I agree w/ Mathman that the difference between pairs & dance lifts is fairly obvious. The number of lifts doesn't matter -- what distinguishes the 2 disciplines is how the lifts are done, not how often they happen.

Custom Title
    I have a question about anonymous judging. Is it just anonymous to us, or can a federation find out how the judges voted? (i.e. can the Korean Fed find out which judges scored Yuna a certain way?)

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I have a question about anonymous judging. Is it just anonymous to us, or can a federation find out how the judges voted? (i.e. can the Korean Fed find out which judges scored Yuna a certain way?)
    In principle, no, the federations do not have access to this information. The ISU does retain that information, though, for purposes of evaluating the judges, so I don't know how difficult it would be for a determined and favored federation head to obtain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In principle, no, the federations do not have access to this information. The ISU does retain that information, though, for purposes of evaluating the judges, so I don't know how difficult it would be for a determined and favored federation head to obtain it.
    My prediction: If there's a Snowden in the ISU who is able to leak that information it would cause a whole lot of commotion...... (and possibly drive the last nail into the coffin and get figure skating kicked out of the olympics).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast