Lawrence & Swiegers End Partnership | Golden Skate

Lawrence & Swiegers End Partnership

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
After nine wonderful and fantastic years of skating; myself and Paige have decided to split and go our separate ways. I would like to thank my friends, family and support team for all their dedication, trust, and belief in helping us realize our Olympic goals.

I’d also like to thank Patricia Hole for everything she’s done; untold hours to and from the rink, dedication to me as an athlete and mostly a person.
I have decided to take a year off from competitive skating for personal reasons and I’m truly grateful for all the sport has shown and given me. Skating will continue to be a very important part of my life.

https://www.facebook.com/rudi.swiegers.7

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh my Canada's no. 2 and no. 3 teams are gone. Does this give the USA now a chance to get three teams. I do admit Page and Rudi seemed to stagnate. too bad though.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I guess it depends on how successful the new Moore-Towers/Marinaro partnership turns out to be (and whether Moscovitch gets a new partner).

---

Btw, an Italian sports site has picked up the Lawrence/Swiegers story:

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figureskating/notizie/news/capolinea-per-lawrenceswiegers

---

Paige's Instagram account now has a photo of her & Rudi with a thank-you message:

Thank you to #SkateSaskatchewan for organizing such a great Awards Banquet this weekend, and thank you for all of the support throughout the years!

http://instagram.com/paigehlawrence

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The one pair that I liked the least. :scowl: Perhaps Radford could skate with Moore-Towers?

I'm all for that
anything to get Duhamel out of the picture

they are a nasty and mismatched pair
one of the worst pairs in figure skating history along with Sale / Pelettier

hanca

Record Breaker
I'm all for that
anything to get Duhamel out of the picture

they are a nasty and mismatched pair
one of the worst pairs in figure skating history along with Sale / Pelettier

sky_fly20, no need to get nasty about them. It is enough to say that you don't like them and that's it. Everyone has different preferences. :) (although I do agree with the mismatched part, but there is no need to spell it out. :think: )

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
and worst, their worst pair is the only one left
MT/M should have stayed 4 more years instead of D/R

I think the problem was Dylan wasn't willing to commit which is somewhat understandable considering the state of skating..

hanca

Record Breaker
I think the problem was Dylan wasn't willing to commit which is somewhat understandable considering the state of skating..

He may have a hard time finding a partner if it is only for a year or two. What can a new pair achieve in a year? They need to gel together and that takes time.

magicrider

Rinkside
I love Duhamel and Radford and find it deplorable that several of the people commenting on this thread have been so entirely negative! Each pair from Canada had their strengths and weaknesses, as had pairs like Sale and Pelletier in the past. It's sad to think that people get their kicks by making such far-sweeping negative comments about any given team. I enjoy all of Canada's pairs, and the terrible commentary in this thread does nothing to support the sport of figure skating in our country.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So there were 7 teams at Canadians last year:

1 Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford QC 213.62 75.80 137.82
2 Kirsten Moore-Towers / Dylan Moscovitch WO 209.44 74.96 134.48
3 Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers SK 176.31 61.67 114.64
4 Natasha Purich / Mervin Tran QC 170.40 60.04 110.36
5 Margaret Purdy / Michael Marinaro WO 147.35 54.23 93.12
6 Shalena Rau / Rob Schultz WO 146.44 48.63 97.81
7 Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan WO 144.98 52.47 92.51

Teams 2,3, 4, 5 have broken up. It will be interesting to see how many pairs will show up in 2015.

tulosai

Record Breaker
So there were 7 teams at Canadians last year:

1 Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford QC 213.62 75.80 137.82
2 Kirsten Moore-Towers / Dylan Moscovitch WO 209.44 74.96 134.48
3 Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers SK 176.31 61.67 114.64
4 Natasha Purich / Mervin Tran QC 170.40 60.04 110.36
5 Margaret Purdy / Michael Marinaro WO 147.35 54.23 93.12
6 Shalena Rau / Rob Schultz WO 146.44 48.63 97.81
7 Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan WO 144.98 52.47 92.51

Teams 2,3, 4, 5 have broken up. It will be interesting to see how many pairs will show up in 2015.

If Jones and Reagan Are staying together this could be an interesting and unique opportunity for them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wow, this is truly the season of veterans refusing to retire + duos splitting up. Maybe time to cue up Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way."

While D/R are rather uninteresting to me, I give them credit for their difficulty and their triple lutzes. No need to call them (or S/P) "deplorable." ;) I certainly don't want them to split up--what would be the point of that? They're no longer "in anyone's way" since the other teams went ahead and self-destructed. :laugh: