Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating-ISU president must quit before sport dies

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Cinquanta did respond to Phil Hersh that Yuri Balkov only committed a "minor violation" when he tried to rig competitions.
    for cinquanta's standard, altering score at olympic competition is "minor violation" that is the reason why he must step down as ISU president position.

On the other hand, what response would we expect Cinquanta to make?

Critics: Hey, Ottavio, you're a scum bag, why don't you kill yourself?"

Cinquanta: "You make some good points. I'll take it up with the Council."

Banned
    What does it matter what his response is? If he were a good leader, and the sport were clean and successful, he wouldn't be receiving these questions and protests in the first place.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I assume you accidentally omitted the word judge and it wasn't some Freudian slip. You meant Russian Judges right. Anything else would be nonsense.
    Well ISU did ban all Russian judges from international skating competitions for one year back in 1977-1978 but that didn't work. So perhaps something even more drastic and nonsense is needed. Throw out Cinquanta, throw out Russia, throw out COP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump View Post
    Well ISU did ban all Russian judges from international skating competitions for one year back in 1977-1978 but that didn't work. So perhaps something even more drastic and nonsense is needed. Throw out Cinquanta, throw out Russia, throw out COP.

Okay, you intend to throw out nearly 1/3 of the skating community, including many world class coaches, choreographers, skaters, ice dancers...?
    Not that I am a fan of the Russians, but this sounds even more unfair and will only harm figure skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I assume you accidentally omitted the word judge and it wasn't some Freudian slip. You meant Russian Judges right. Anything else would be nonsense.
    I am sure that the poster had the intention to write what she actually wrote. This forum unfortunately does not have "ignore" button so that I am forced to read one-sided abusive posts from certain characters.

Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    I am sure that the poster had the intention to write what she actually wrote. This forum unfortunately does not have "ignore" button so that I am forced to read one-sided abusive posts from certain characters.
    Actually, it does.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Other-Posters

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post

Not that I am a fan of the Russians...
    Which country are you from? Should I write whether I am fan of all your countrymates or this would not be the best idea, what do you think?

Such a hypocrisy when even a slight hint against certain minorities results in a big outcry. While judging the whole nation is quite normal. Well, what am I doing here, anyway?....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thanks, it's high time now. A lot of people are very likeable here. When I could only bar myself from the anti-Russia hysteria, I would love to stay.

Banned
    Sam if it makes you feel any better it goes both ways! Some people can't even criticize the Sochi farce without being labeled Russian-haters, even when it's not true. I was one of the few Sotnikova proponents here pre-Olympics, and was quite sad that the entire Olympic experience got ruined by the figure skating scandal. Before the rigged results ruined everything for me, I was enjoying the games and the ceremonies. Now that's all gone, unfortunately.

Custom Title
    I don't think many skaters or coaches would want a return to 6.0.

Skaters & their coaches get so much more detailed marking & feedback under the protocol sheets in the new system compared to the old one. While there are problems with it, and while there is inflation and bias, it at least can be examined in the protocols - element by element, and level by level.

Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Which country are you from? Should I write whether I am fan of all your countrymates or this would not be the best idea, what do you think?
    Such a hypocrisy when even a slight hint against certain minorities results in a big outcry. While judging the whole nation is quite normal. Well, what am I doing here, anyway?....
    I am saying I am not a fan of most particular skaters from any particular country, I am not pro-Russian, not pro-Canada, not pro-US or Japan. Does that satisfy you?

If I like any particular skater, then it doesn't have to do with his/her nationality. You think I am anti-Russians? Look at my ava.

I was just saying: I am against the idea of "throwing out all the Russians" even though I am not pro-Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I don't think many skaters or coaches would want a return to 6.0.

Skaters & their coaches get so much more detailed marking & feedback under the protocol sheets in the new system compared to the old one. While there are problems with it, and while there is inflation and bias, it at least can be examined in the protocols - element by element, and level by level.
    I think that is the key point. Is figure skating a participatory sport or a spectator sport? Should the scoring system cater to the skaters and coaches (CoP) or to the watchers (6.0)?

Custom Title
    Wow, throw out Russia? Let's throw out one of the few places where figure skating still matters! That's really going to help the sport's popularity! (And I can only shake my head if anyone believes a) only Russians cheat b) throwing out Russia would fix a darn thing).

EDIT: @Mathman--the problem is, if FS becomes too audience-unfriendly, it might die. (I'm not saying this will happen because of COP--just making the point that skaters and coaches probably prefer their sport having more exposure rather than less. Better to be the controversial silver medalist in a big sport than the gold medalist in some unknown sport.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think that is the key point. Is figure skating a participatory sport or a spectator sport? Should the scoring system cater to the skaters and coaches (CoP) or to the watchers (6.0)?
    Why are these two mutually exclusive? The most popular sports in the world cater to both participants and spectators.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast