Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: The COMPLETE Guide to Fixing the Scoring System and Improving Ice Skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I just believe in an old quote by Ghandhi. "You have to be the change you want to see in the world".

In all honesty does Korea even have enough judges or qualified people to accomplish such a feat? Should we all start taking notes on So Youn Parks step sequence for the inevitable thread. The sad thing is some people here don't seem to think she can win it without cheating or something. That is the most disappointing to me.
    Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?
    I wish I knew, and understand what you mean about fighting fire with fire. But I also feel that the "fire" approach will badly hurt FS as a whole without benefiting the skaters in any way. After all, what good is an OGM or any medal if it's not won fairly?

Boycott the ISU
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It seems like a lot of smaller countries voted no. I wonder if it is to protect their judges from scrutiny if they mark programs out of line with other judges on the panel due to under-training/incompetence.
    No. It's because these are the countries -- without top skaters -- who are used to collude with larger federations to influence results.

Big country X (USA, Canada, Russia, Japan, etc.) try to get as many of these smaller federations on their side as possible. They get favors or bribes or whatever they get, and that's what they receive out of senior ISU competitions. If anonymous judging went away, all of those benefits would disappear, and these federations would be receiving nothing nor having any relevant skaters.

As I've been saying, these are the people running the sport ... into the ground.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Does anyone else find it completely baffling that the Republic of Korea voted to KEEP anonymous judging?? Yet the bigger feds (Japan, Russia, US) voted against it...

Is the KSF that out of touch??
    Maybe ISU tech guys told them unofficially that Yuna lost in Sochi for most of judges.

Quote Originally Posted by mich2 View Post
    Maybe ISU tech guys told them unofficially that Yuna lost in Sochi for most of judges.
    or maybe speedy gave them an offer they can't refuse for their beloved speed skating..

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Since we are talking about the judging, mind anyone explaining why almost identical jumps got different GOE and call in the same competition? I have just logged on youtube and they suggest me this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-JWw-rm9g

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Since we are talking about the judging, mind anyone explaining why almost identical jumps got different GOE and call in the same competition? I have just logged on youtube and they suggest me this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-JWw-rm9g
    I think second one was really a slightly, very slightly underrotated, she touched with blade earlier than in 1st one I think

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I think second one was really a slightly, very slightly underrotated, she touched with blade earlier than in 1st one I think
    I agree. It's very slight, but I agree with the caller. It is a bit a ridiculous of course that the second one is worth 4.3 points less though.

Then again, it's also ridiculous that Asada received +GOE for this 3A in her 2013 Worlds SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBM_Z39JdA

Most skaters have been gifted or screwed over by the judges at some point or another.

Rinkside
    Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.

Quote Originally Posted by AC96 View Post
    Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.
    Love the idea. Anything is better than the current mere 1 point deduction imho.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AC96 View Post
    has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc.
    See my post here

That whole thread might be of interest.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8