Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 106 to 116 of 116

Thread: The COMPLETE Guide to Fixing the Scoring System and Improving Ice Skating

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I just believe in an old quote by Ghandhi. "You have to be the change you want to see in the world".

    In all honesty does Korea even have enough judges or qualified people to accomplish such a feat? Should we all start taking notes on So Youn Parks step sequence for the inevitable thread. The sad thing is some people here don't seem to think she can win it without cheating or something. That is the most disappointing to me.
    Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?

  2. #107
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?
    I wish I knew, and understand what you mean about fighting fire with fire. But I also feel that the "fire" approach will badly hurt FS as a whole without benefiting the skaters in any way. After all, what good is an OGM or any medal if it's not won fairly?

  3. #108
    Boycott the ISU
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It seems like a lot of smaller countries voted no. I wonder if it is to protect their judges from scrutiny if they mark programs out of line with other judges on the panel due to under-training/incompetence.
    No. It's because these are the countries -- without top skaters -- who are used to collude with larger federations to influence results.

    Big country X (USA, Canada, Russia, Japan, etc.) try to get as many of these smaller federations on their side as possible. They get favors or bribes or whatever they get, and that's what they receive out of senior ISU competitions. If anonymous judging went away, all of those benefits would disappear, and these federations would be receiving nothing nor having any relevant skaters.

    As I've been saying, these are the people running the sport ... into the ground.

  4. #109
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Does anyone else find it completely baffling that the Republic of Korea voted to KEEP anonymous judging?? Yet the bigger feds (Japan, Russia, US) voted against it...

    Is the KSF that out of touch??
    Maybe ISU tech guys told them unofficially that Yuna lost in Sochi for most of judges.

  5. #110
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by mich2 View Post
    Maybe ISU tech guys told them unofficially that Yuna lost in Sochi for most of judges.
    or maybe speedy gave them an offer they can't refuse for their beloved speed skating..

  6. #111
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,388
    Since we are talking about the judging, mind anyone explaining why almost identical jumps got different GOE and call in the same competition? I have just logged on youtube and they suggest me this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-JWw-rm9g

  7. #112
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Since we are talking about the judging, mind anyone explaining why almost identical jumps got different GOE and call in the same competition? I have just logged on youtube and they suggest me this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-JWw-rm9g
    I think second one was really a slightly, very slightly underrotated, she touched with blade earlier than in 1st one I think

  8. #113
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I think second one was really a slightly, very slightly underrotated, she touched with blade earlier than in 1st one I think
    I agree. It's very slight, but I agree with the caller. It is a bit a ridiculous of course that the second one is worth 4.3 points less though.

    Then again, it's also ridiculous that Asada received +GOE for this 3A in her 2013 Worlds SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBM_Z39JdA

    Most skaters have been gifted or screwed over by the judges at some point or another.

  9. #114
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    20
    Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.

  10. #115
    Always lurking.. 0v0 satine94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by AC96 View Post
    Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.
    Love the idea. Anything is better than the current mere 1 point deduction imho.

  11. #116
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,748
    Quote Originally Posted by AC96 View Post
    has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc.
    See my post here

    That whole thread might be of interest.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •