The COMPLETE Guide to Fixing the Scoring System and Improving Ice Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The COMPLETE Guide to Fixing the Scoring System and Improving Ice Skating

cooper

Medalist
Lol, in what world would Korea ever "get their turn"? Even if they are the host country, the federation has no power at all. They'll file an appeal because they believe they were cheated out of a OGM and want fairness, but they are willing to keep the current rules because they themselves want to cheat as well? Okay. :rolleye: The same applies to those fans who go on for 100+ posts about fairness, justices and "saving FS" but then turn their heads and say Korea should have the chance to do what Russia (supposedly) did. Obviously all that talking was just a cover, cause all they really wanted was the gold for their "queen".

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

i think you're too naive.. it's not really shocking to yuna's fans at all about KSU's decision.. and even them they feel betrayed when their own fed don't really care.. after all their golden goose is already retired..:p

and by the way KSU was hesitant to file a complaint in the first place.. and i wouldn't be surprised if speedy had something to do w/ it.. especially for their beloved speed skating which korea is known for.. :popcorn:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Who is them?

Russia. This is under the assumption that Korea voted against so they could have their revenge against Russia in 2018, per the original poster's comment.

I dunno if the KSU ever really cared about the state of figure skating in their country, or for Yuna Kim.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
i think you're too naive.. it's not really shocking to yuna's fans at all about KSU's decision.. and even them they feel betrayed when their own fed don't really care.. after all their golden goose is already retired..:p

and by the way KSU was hesitant to file a complaint in the first place.. and i wouldn't be surprised if speedy had something to do w/ it.. especially for their beloved speed skating which korea is known for.. :popcorn:

What exactly did I say that makes me naive? :unsure: Did I say that Yuna fans were shocked? My comment was simply pointing out the contradictive actions of both the KSU and fans. Its pretty obvious to everyone that KSU doesn't give two cents about appealing the results and did it just to relieve some backlash.

It's called giving them a taste of their own medicine. If you can't get fairness and justice through the proper channels, then fight fire with fire.

This is wonderful actually. Fight fire with fire till the whole forest burns down. :) In this cause, the forest is FS as a whole. This goes perfectly with those 100 page comments about how we need to save figure skating--justice and fairness for everyone. (But of course, everyone translates to just Kim Yuna cause if Yuna doesn't get fairness no other skater from any other country should.) People insisting that Yuna was robbed!!! But flips a page and say, lets rob someone else in retribution to be fair.

Right. Seems like everyones true faces are showing. :popcorn:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia. This is under the assumption that Korea voted against so they could have their revenge against Russia in 2018, per the original poster's comment.

I dunno if the KSU ever really cared about the state of figure skating in their country, or for Yuna Kim.

I just believe in an old quote by Ghandhi. "You have to be the change you want to see in the world".

In all honesty does Korea even have enough judges or qualified people to accomplish such a feat? Should we all start taking notes on So Youn Parks step sequence for the inevitable thread. The sad thing is some people here don't seem to think she can win it without cheating or something. That is the most disappointing to me.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I just believe in an old quote by Ghandhi. "You have to be the change you want to see in the world".

In all honesty does Korea even have enough judges or qualified people to accomplish such a feat? Should we all start taking notes on So Youn Parks step sequence for the inevitable thread. The sad thing is some people here don't seem to think she can win it without cheating or something. That is the most disappointing to me.

Blame that on the governance of this sport, who is clearly out of touch and don't seem to care. Arrogant, flippant, pompous probably not so different from the attitude of its leader. Just look at its own policy, rules, press regarding the controversy.

- ISU can not be challenged.
- Judges don't make mistakes, all decisions are final.
(Or rather they do, but it is ISU's prerogative to take in maximum advantage of human vulnerabilities to 'steer' results towards certain outcome, unless someone came and rock the boat by putting up ridiculous high standards that is beyond any slants.)
- The federation's interest must over ride the individuals and the judges can do whatever they want under anonymity. This is sad, because I think majority of the judges do try to be fair, but failing to address controversies head on and its leader attempt to distract main issues with ridiculous new changes just makes it look more guilty than ever.

The fact there doesn't appear to be a re-calibration/correction process between different competitions, different flights, checking, real care with rewarding PCS marks properly continues to irks me. Early flight? Too bad, now we have an excuse not to reward you properly. Or we can justify why we give you lower mark while we inflate certain individuals on the final flight of skaters etc, enough to distort the rankings.

Power federation skaters continues to get maximum benefit/inflation from as many home/friendly events as possible. Rich get richer. Poorer have no say and you better shuddap or face consequences... with speed skating too.

Skaters continues to have no say, no rights in this 'individual' sport. Their privilege belong entirely with the federations. If you are out favour with them, you better do someone special enough to over ride your disadvantages. (I am thinking of Mirai, Daisuke, Akiko etc)

shiroKJ , I suggest you do a bit more research into the 'art' of 'taking the piss' :sarcasm: I am actually laughing at the absurdity of the decision and possible outcome.

I'd like figure skating to be a sport where people can 'believe' and 'trust' the judging, and the judges reward performances entirely on its own merits correctly (with humility that sometimes they can get it wrong, and if they did, they are unafraid to acknowledge it and correct themselves). To award things on quality. Not where the skater is from or whether it benefit ISU and its federations more. A sport's survival rest entirely on public trust, otherwise it will continue to be a niche sport that is merely formality of who has the richest daddy, and are they their fav?

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Uh, many people are TRYING to be the change. Launching petitions, FB pages, writing articles, trying to round up skaters in support of anonymous judging, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. So if such an attempt to change the world fails, then what's next? Continue beating on the wall?

I wish I knew, and understand what you mean about fighting fire with fire. But I also feel that the "fire" approach will badly hurt FS as a whole without benefiting the skaters in any way. After all, what good is an OGM or any medal if it's not won fairly? :no:

Ven

Match Penalty
It seems like a lot of smaller countries voted no. I wonder if it is to protect their judges from scrutiny if they mark programs out of line with other judges on the panel due to under-training/incompetence.

No. It's because these are the countries -- without top skaters -- who are used to collude with larger federations to influence results.

Big country X (USA, Canada, Russia, Japan, etc.) try to get as many of these smaller federations on their side as possible. They get favors or bribes or whatever they get, and that's what they receive out of senior ISU competitions. If anonymous judging went away, all of those benefits would disappear, and these federations would be receiving nothing nor having any relevant skaters.

As I've been saying, these are the people running the sport ... into the ground.

mich2

Match Penalty
Does anyone else find it completely baffling that the Republic of Korea voted to KEEP anonymous judging?? Yet the bigger feds (Japan, Russia, US) voted against it...

Is the KSF that out of touch??

Maybe ISU tech guys told them unofficially that Yuna lost in Sochi for most of judges.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think second one was really a slightly, very slightly underrotated, she touched with blade earlier than in 1st one I think :scratch:

I agree. It's very slight, but I agree with the caller. It is a bit a ridiculous of course that the second one is worth 4.3 points less though.

Then again, it's also ridiculous that Asada received +GOE for this 3A in her 2013 Worlds SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBM_Z39JdA

Most skaters have been gifted or screwed over by the judges at some point or another.

AC96

Rinkside
Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Some posters were talking about deductions for falls in the thread about predictions of 2018 medalists, so I thought I'd chip in here: has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc. Still a bigger deduction than for a fall but not extremely so, and takes into account that a fall typically mars the whole program, rather than an isolated element.

Love the idea. Anything is better than the current mere 1 point deduction imho.

gkelly

Record Breaker
has anyone suggested a fall being a percentage of the total segment score? Nothing too drastic, perhaps something like 2% so that a skater who scores 120 would receive 2.4 points off, 130 would lose 2.6 points, etc.

See my post here

That whole thread might be of interest.