Hippity Hop/Floppity Flop Lessons & Practices, 4/5 - 4/10 | Golden Skate

Hippity Hop/Floppity Flop Lessons & Practices, 4/5 - 4/10

Yazmeen

On the Ice
OK, how's it going this week?

Flopsy, Mopsy: Bad start this morning. This time change has really gotten to me, I guess its a sign of getting older!!! :laugh: Tried my first waltz toe and didn't pick in right and didn't jump and I just got rattled, so par usual, I started to hesitate with subsequent combos. :mad: I hate it when I allow myself to get thrown off like that. It did start to come back. I've also determined I may need to wear my glasses for the figures competition. The rink doesn't put full lights on in the morning, so it was hard to see my tracing. Ahh, the joys of age... ;)

Hippity, hoppity Peter Cottontail: I was nervous, too, this morning, because we opted to go back to one foot spins for the first time since November. It was rough at first, but I started to get my form back and got three revs after a bit. I was also able to do a small spin out of crossovers for the first time without coming to a dead stop before I spin (that looks so bloody awful that I insisted to my coach that she never let me do that anymore!!!) Its starting to feel familiar again, and that's a good thing. I want to have a definitive one foot spin, not one that starts on two feet and sort of lifts. Luckily, my coach will not allow me to do that. I have to push off into a definite one foot spin, and that's good. Little by little!!!!

soogar

Record Breaker
Hippity Flop for me:
New set of group lessons and now the instructor is focusing on spins , lunges and crossovers. It's hard to lunge in jeans but I did spin on one foot. I'm getting a little bit braver as I'm skating with more speed and hopping like a bunny rabbit. That's a big deal for me so maybe at the end of the year I'll have a waltz jump.

sk8pics

Rinkside
Wow, soogar, you skate in jeans? But I guess you're early on in your group lessons. Wait 'til you try a spiral in jeans!

As for me, my lesson last night was Hippity Hop: my mohawks in all directions are getting better, so now I can skate in circles doing one forward crossover into a mohawk then one back crossover and a mohawk, and so on. I had to complain to my coach when I did the CCW direction completely on my own, and he didn't even notice, just started giving me corrections! Also my interpretive program is feeling better, except for the salchow which has a different entrance from what I'm used to. I guess it will get better! The whole opening part including the sequence of waltz jumps was much better.

Floppity Flop: My cw back crossovers are still too scrapey and I'm turning my left foot as I set it down. Oh well, this too shall eventually get better.

Happy skating everyone,
Pat

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm going to have to get a set of yoga pants , according to my instructor. I don't like the idea of having that thin piece of cloth between me and the ice. Do any of you wear dresses? I'm dying to wear a skating dress and even though a lot of the kid beginners wear dresses, I'd feel like a spaz wearing one. That's why I'm working so hard to skate decently: so I can wear a dress.

icer

Rinkside
Flippity Flop: My work stress followed me to the rink and all bets were off. Could not center a spin to save my life (and this is something I'm good at!), jumps were off center, and I had a very weird fall practicing spirals (visually humiliating, physically painless).

Slow, Gliding Hippity Hop: Turning lemons into lemonade- took it as an opportunity to stop with the fancy stuff and go back to the basics I need for the pre-bronze moves test. Working at getting more control on alternating forward 3's- to my HUGE surprise, the FI's were better controlled than the FO's- how did that happen? I'm getting much better at placing the turn at the right part of the lobe- still inconsistent on back to the forward foot, esp on the FO's, but vast improvement. Good progress- I'd rather work on jumps and spins, but the pressure of the test is definitly helping my skating!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
soogar: (By the by, I'm assuming you are female!!!) If you have an "Express" near you, get a pair or two of the stretch "Ponte" pants. I have two old pair that I love to skate in. They stretch great and a big thicker than yoga pants and they look really sharp. Victoria's Secret yoga and warmup pants also are not too thin and work well on the ice--you can order them online or from the catalogue. Express also has some drawstring workout pants that are thicker and very good--they are even on sale right now. Standard warmup pants also work for men and women. My hubby also has a pair of custom stirrup pants that he got from "Blue Sky," but he saves those for when he did synchro and for skating parties and such. If he decides to test or compete, he'll wear those.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
soogar said:
I'm going to have to get a set of yoga pants , according to my instructor. I don't like the idea of having that thin piece of cloth between me and the ice. Do any of you wear dresses? I'm dying to wear a skating dress and even though a lot of the kid beginners wear dresses, I'd feel like a spaz wearing one. That's why I'm working so hard to skate decently: so I can wear a dress.

I wear a skirt and turtleneck in the winter, skirt and t-shirt in the summer, with footless tights and trouser socks made for skaters. I'm 39, BTW, and I don't really care what others think of how I look. (OK, I do a bit - I would look much worse in yoga pants because of the 20 pounds I still need to lose.) My coach likes it because he can see what my legs are doing better than if I were in pants, and I like how they feel.

So go ahead and wear whatever you like! :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Soogar-a lot of our adult skaters skate in skirts and dresses. I have several ballet skirts and I will skate in them some of the time. I like a solid bottom like black with my skirts. I did buy a skating dress on ebay (a deal at $22.) but have yet to wear it, a little embarrased I guess. My normal skate wear is, tights, stretch pants (black or navy) and a fitted t-shirt with zip up jacket to take off when I get too hot. I also have a nylon suit I like to wear which is pretty warm and lets you slide when you fall:)