Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Per USFSA: http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=50180&type=media

(5/7/14) - Two-time reigning U.S. pairs champions Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir announced they have ended their partnership. Both skaters have expressed interest in finding new partners.

Castelli and Shnapir, who trained in Boston under coaches Bobby Martin and Carrie Wall, began their partnership eight years ago. Castelli and Shnapir finished ninth at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games and were team event bronze medalists at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. They are the 2013 Four Continents bronze medalists and 2009 World Junior bronze medalists.

"I am so honored and proud to have shared the ice with Simon for the last eight years. It has been an amazing journey and I wouldn't change it for the world," Castelli said. "We will always share our amazing accomplishments with each other. I appreciate everything Simon has done for me and wish him the best in his future endeavors. I will continue skating and hope to be back performing in front of a crowd soon. Thank you to everyone who has supported us through the years."

"I am very proud of the accomplishments Marissa and I have had over the past eight years," Shnapir said. "I wish Marissa the best of luck with her future as I look forward to starting a new chapter in my skating career. I want to thank all of my family, coaches, friends and fans as well as U.S. Figure Skating and The Skating Club of Boston for their incredible support."

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:eek::eek: Another one?! So, basically we'll have more new couples than old ones competing next season :laugh::slink:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can't say I'm entirely shocked. Saw them at SOI Chicago and they looked MISERABLE

Yeah, I have been told by people who would definitely be in a position to know that they truly dislike each other, but I am nonetheless slightly surprised. I expected they'd stick it out till Worlds in Boston.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Yeah, I have been told by people who would definitely be in a position to know that they truly dislike each other, but I am nonetheless slightly surprised. I expected they'd stick it out till Worlds in Boston.

Yeah. They must really hate each other. I wonder why...:popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
And... another one bites the dust. Expected these two to stick it out a bit longer, but 'tis the season for splitting.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
wonder if D/C will plan to stick around until 2016 Boston
now that C/S are done, D/C though they have injuries on their side that will have to worry about

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Ugh. And right when I thought they were hitting their stride! And Worlds is in Boston - their hometown - in a couple of years. I thought they'd stick it out. I'm kind of depressed - but maybe it's Zhang and Bartholomay's time to shine! I always liked them better than Denney/Coughlin :no:

I'm more interested to see if there will be more splits or what will happen now since they both want to continue skating.... Does anyone know if there is currently any good prospects for either of them that is also partnerless?

desertskates

Medalist
Whoa. I'm really surprised. I had heard they weren't exactly best pals. But, like others, I assumed they be around for Worlds in '16. I can't even begin to think who they could partner with.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Whoa. I'm really surprised. I had heard they weren't exactly best pals. But, like others, I assumed they be around for Worlds in '16. I can't even begin to think who they could partner with.

I mean not that they are over the hill but yeah, especially at their ages and experience levels in the USA it is hard to fathom.

Matt K

On the Ice
I can't say I'm entirely shocked. Saw them at SOI Chicago and they looked MISERABLE

They don't look like they enjoy skating with each other at all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was the only pair I actually liked!

Officially done with Pairs and Dance.

I mean not that they are over the hill but yeah, especially at their ages and experience levels in the USA it is hard to fathom.

I concur. I do think it's odd just considering how high they've climbed in the USA and internationally...Starting with a new partner will be a few steps back (at least temporarily).....that is if there's even a partner available....?

But tbh, I'm really not surprised. They never look like they enjoy themselves around one another to me - on or off ice. ...and two years can be a long time if thing are indeed not working.

With yet another split in pairs, it makes me think if all of these people have lost their marbles; and have the dream of pulling a V/T... ;) (I'm joking sort of...)