Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
There is always Duhamel/Radford.

For now, yes.

They are coming back next season, but have said they will take it season by season. They don't appear to have said for certain they will go all the way to the next Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW here's the results from this year's nationals
1 Marissa Castelli / Simon Shnapir 205.71 1 73.13 3 132.58
2 Felicia Zhang / Nathan Bartholomay 201.72 2 66.50 2 135.22
3 Caydee Denney / John Coughlin 201.43 3 65.40 1 136.03
4 Alexa Scimeca / Christopher Knierim 189.67 5 64.68 4 124.99
5 Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier 181.59 8 59.52 5 122.07
6 Tarah Kayne / Danny O'Shea 173.89 7 61.48 6 112.41
7 DeeDee Leng / Timothy Leduc 171.94 3 66.40 9 105.54
8 Gretchen Donlan / Andrew Speroff 170.73 6 61.70 8 109.03
9 Lindsay Davis / Rockne Brubaker 163.81 10 54.14 7 109.67
10 Jessica Pfund / AJ Reiss 156.04 9 55.16 10 100.88
11 Jessica Noelle Calalang / Zack Sidhu 151.65 11 51.19 11 100.46
12 Alexandria Shaughnessy / James Morgan 140.73 12 48.45 12 92.28

Still together: 2, 4, 5, 6, 11,12
Spilt (or presumably so): 1,7,8,9, 10
Uncertain: 3

So not as dire as Canada, but man....there's some opportunities for those willing to seize the day!

tulosai

Record Breaker
FWIW here's the results from this year's nationals
1 Marissa Castelli / Simon Shnapir 205.71 1 73.13 3 132.58
2 Felicia Zhang / Nathan Bartholomay 201.72 2 66.50 2 135.22
3 Caydee Denney / John Coughlin 201.43 3 65.40 1 136.03
4 Alexa Scimeca / Christopher Knierim 189.67 5 64.68 4 124.99
5 Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier 181.59 8 59.52 5 122.07
6 Tarah Kayne / Danny O'Shea 173.89 7 61.48 6 112.41
7 DeeDee Leng / Timothy Leduc 171.94 3 66.40 9 105.54
8 Gretchen Donlan / Andrew Speroff 170.73 6 61.70 8 109.03
9 Lindsay Davis / Rockne Brubaker 163.81 10 54.14 7 109.67
10 Jessica Pfund / AJ Reiss 156.04 9 55.16 10 100.88
11 Jessica Noelle Calalang / Zack Sidhu 151.65 11 51.19 11 100.46
12 Alexandria Shaughnessy / James Morgan 140.73 12 48.45 12 92.28

Still together: 2, 4, 5, 6, 11,12
Spilt (or presumably so): 1,7,8,9, 10
Uncertain: 3

So not as dire as Canada, but man....there's some opportunities for those willing to seize the day!

My money is on Denney / Frasier. They are actually a VERY STRONG hope for the USA if they can stay together, which is always the difficulty here.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm still sad that Emily Samuelson never found an ice dance partner. Now there was talent and because of the injury or whatever Bates and she split. They would have been spectacular.

I think Samuelson & Bates had more than one injury, and because of the way one injury happened (eg. with her blade slicing him) it appeared to harm their partnership. Maybe injuries of that kind damage the feeling of trust/safety between the partners. When Bates got back on the ice, he told Samuelson he needed to move on to a new partner.

Crone & Poirier split up that same season, and Samuelson later confirmed that she had a try-out with Poirier. We don't know for sure why they didn't team up, but it was speculated at the time that neither country was willing to release them since they were both fairly high-ranked ice dancers at the time.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I find these tweets today from Scimeca and Knierim execeedingly tacky. I know they're mean to be funny but the timing is just bad. I'm sure they're happy as hell that the team that beat them twice at Nats are gone but keep that between yourselves and your inner circle. You were teammates at Worlds and you were beaten fairly and handily at Nationals. This just reeks of poor sportsmanship and jealousy that C/S have an Olympic medals while these two watched Sochi on television. After all her pouting on the GP, at Nationals and 4CC, I don't know why I'm surprised.

@ChrisKnierim 1h
Teams around the world are dropping like flies after Olympics and Worlds..................Good thing I put a ring on it ������@lexxapaige
@lexxapaige 54m@ChrisKnierim haha! Babe! I love you!!!!!! #TooFunny!!!

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, no! I was just beginning to really enjoy them...

Note: I just saw this thread.... Now I can't help wondering: Who's next?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Those tweets are kinda tactless... but they're true. Probably better if they didn't tweet that, but it doesn't bother me much.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm not bothered by those tweets either. And as I said, I'm really sad to see C/S split.

Mystic

Rinkside
I read over on FSU that Andrew Speroff has not officially retired, he is maintaining his eligibility through USFS. I wonder if either Castelli or Denney could temp him to reconsider competing this year. While I loved Donlan and Speroff I felt that Speroff was held back from reaching his full potential because of the inconsistency in Donlan's jumping. Would love to see him with a partner that would put the pressure on him to perform full out. Judging form the video on you tube with his girlfriend he has a beautiful 3 toe and 3 sal.

flutzy13

On the Ice
This split is both not shocking at all and yet totally surprising at this juncture and with. Boston holding Worlds in 2 years. I can't help but wonder if it's a similar situation to MT/M where she wants another Olympics and maybe beyond and he's looking at it year by year. People are quick to point to the whole they hate each other but I really think if it was as simple as that they wouldn't have lasted as long as they did.

This split seems very matter of fact almost like it's been their plan all along and was not a reaction to Worlds disappointment etc. They unlike other teams never really talked about beyond this season. If that's the case, good for them. They had a storybook end to their 8 years in Boston and Sochi, achieved their ultimate goal of the Olympics, took home a medal and parted with gracious statements. All's well that ends well. This split seems like the antithesis of the usual US pairs drama.

TripleToe

Rinkside
There wasn't too much chemistry between them but I liked them! They were the best pairs in USA, so it's sad.

noskates

Record Breaker
That's what always bothered me - lack of chemistry. I hated their Bond program this year and was sorely disappointed when Denney and Coughlin didn't make the Oly team. I do hope they come back this year. I think they're the US' only hope for a few years to come. Although - Haven Denney and her partner should be vastly improved this year.

azcalder

Rinkside
Ryan Bradley started out as a pairs skater. He was partnered with Tiffany Vise the first time I ever saw him skate.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Those tweets are kinda tactless... but they're true. Probably better if they didn't tweet that, but it doesn't bother me much.

Someone on FSU posted this which is apparently from Lindsay Davis's Facebook tonight. Knierim's tweet, while I don't think it was malicious, was just something that was going to be easily misconstrued by C/S fans and obviously other skaters.

From Lindsay Davis's Facebook:

I just have to say, every single pair skater knows they aren't perfect nor are partnerships perfect. Things happen. People change. Life changes. Respect your teammates. Cheer for them when they're skating and cheer for them when they're not. In the end we all want the same thing: To do what we love in a sport that we love. #somepeoplehavenoclass #twitter

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Those kind of tweets about other teammates are a bit unusual - they're not evil or anything, but they are a bit mischievous.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Those kind of tweets about other teammates are a bit unusual - they're not evil or anything, but they are a bit mischievous.

Personally, I think skating needs a bit more drama to liven it up! No complaints here.

C/S were really growing on me though. Can't say I'm not disappointed at this (entirely expected) news. At SOI Chicago, I was with a non-skating-fan friend and she leaned over during their program and said to me "wow, they do not want to be here right now." If she could feel it in the 20th row, it was time to quit.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Someone on FSU posted this which is apparently from Lindsay Davis's Facebook tonight. Knierim's tweet, while I don't think it was malicious, was just something that was going to be easily misconstrued by C/S fans and obviously other skaters.

From Lindsay Davis's Facebook:

I just have to say, every single pair skater knows they aren't perfect nor are partnerships perfect. Things happen. People change. Life changes. Respect your teammates. Cheer for them when they're skating and cheer for them when they're not. In the end we all want the same thing: To do what we love in a sport that we love. #somepeoplehavenoclass #twitter

Just my opinion, but she is over reacting. Yes they are a ton of couples spliting and he is happy he is engage to the girl...no need to over react, actually Davis is the one losing points for having no humor

caitie

Medalist
It was kind of an insensitive tweet about something hard a lot of his teammates are going through. It's not surprising one of them took it personally. He was probably just trying to be funny, but it was not really the time/not really appropriate for his public account IMO.