Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership

flutzy13

On the Ice
I feel as if Marissa & Simon peaked and maxed out all they did and could have accomplished. While I enjoyed their SOI performance this year the height differential was distracting to me in competitions. I wish them both well in the future.

I agree and disagree. Undoubtedly, Marissa and Simon were unlikely to stand on a World podium. But I think they were in a position to win another national title or two, land that quad at some point, pick up some GP and 4CC medals/money especially next season with the field nonexistent, skate at their hometown Worlds and make some show money. They would have had full support from USFS (as much as USFS cares about pairs anyway) as 2 time champs with longevity and as part of the OBM team.

With other partners, their paths to those things becomes a lot less clear. Not impossible but just starting over with less guarantees and more things will have to be earned. They won't automatically get the small errors overlooked and the massive PCS at Nationals as defending champions. Rockne certainly didn't despite his past success. But hopefully they find pairings that work and earn it and are not sitting in the stands at the TD Garden in 2 years wondering what might have been. At the same time, if she stayed unhappily or halfheartedly in this partnership, the next 2 seasons could have been a real trainwreck, which would have been sad to see after how far they came from 2012-2014 and is probably why they actually called it a day this time.

I don't see either of them country hopping although stranger things have happened. He actually has choices here and should be able to shop around a little whereas I expect she'll go to LeDuc kind of by default.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I don't see either of them country hopping although stranger things have happened. He actually has choices here and should be able to shop around a little whereas I expect she'll go to LeDuc kind of by default.

Marissa and Tim could be an interesting partnership. I love Tim.

yoyojoy83

Spectator
Megan Duhamel favorited the tweet? Is it because so many pairs have split in Canada that she and Eric no longer have any competition? ;)

Although I might also add that about 85 people including Marissa herself and other skaters "liked" what Lindsay had to say about the tweet. :popcorn:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Speaking of, any chance she's one of the tryouts Simon has lined up? Any idea who is Castelli is considering? I thought we'd have heard rumors by now. This split came late relative to next season's GP assignments so I'd imagine they're both rushing to get something set down.

caitie

Medalist
Any news on tryouts with other skaters for either of them? A friend asked me about them last night and I didn't know if either had many any progress on finding a new partner.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Any news on tryouts with other skaters for either of them? A friend asked me about them last night and I didn't know if either had many any progress on finding a new partner.

I think there were some reports of them both being in Indianapolis, leading to speculation that they might be trying out with DeeDee Leng and Timothy LeDuc, a pair that was also rumored to be splitting. That was a few weeks ago though, just after the Castelli/Shnapir split was announced.

I guess they have to make a decision pretty quickly if they want any initial GP placements.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I think there were some reports of them both being in Indianapolis, leading to speculation that they might be trying out with DeeDee Leng and Timothy LeDuc, a pair that was also rumored to be splitting. That was a few weeks ago though, just after the Castelli/Shnapir split was announced.

I guess they have to make a decision pretty quickly if they want any initial GP placements.

The Leng/LeDuc split was pretty much confirmed when they were removed from the USFS international selection pool. The rumors were that as the news of the C/S split was breaking, he was in Indy skating with Leng and LeDuc was seen at SCoB, presumably trying out with Marissa (the Leng tryout seemed more substantiated than the Marissa/LeDuc rumor but I kind of assume both were true since both make sense). That's really been all we've heard on C/S except for a picture they both tweeted of them doing a joint appearance in Boston with their medals this weekend.

There's really no one else in the US available for her to try out with. If the LeDuc tryout was a bust, I wouldn't be surprised if USFS and their coaching staff (both of whom were probably disappointed by this split) are quietly trying to get them to reconsider before the GP lists have to be submitted. Whether that will work/is a good idea at this point is a whole other can of worms. But it would be such a shame for Castelli to be off the ice if she wants to compete when she's such a cut above the rest of our pair girls.

How would GP assignments even work for them with new partners? No guarantees?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Speroff, who recently split with Donlan. However, he seems to be moving on to the next part of his life rather than looking for a new partner.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
The reports were that as the news of the split was breaking, he was in Indy skating with Leng and LeDuc was seen at SCoB, presumably trying out with Marissa. That's really been all we've heard on them except for a picture they both tweeted of them doing a joint appearance with their medals this weekend.

There's really no one else in the US available for her to try out with. If the LeDuc tryout was a bust, I wouldn't be surprised if USFS and their coaching staff are quietly trying to get her to reconsider before the GP stuff has to be submitted. Whether that will work/is a good idea at this point is a whole other can of worms. But it would be such a shame for Castelli to be off the ice for any amount of time if she wants to compete when she's such a cut above the rest of our pair girls.

Thanks for the clarification.

I noticed that a couple of days ago Simon tweeted "What a great week it's been! Really excited about what the future may hold!" (link: https://twitter.com/SimonShnapir/status/469457553995599872)

Agree that if Marissa hasn't found a viable partnership, USFS has to be freaking out...

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
not at all surprising in pairs or ice dance - more gals than guys -- guys can write their own ticket

Yeah, I mean more that it's surprising Marissa would have even broken the partnership if she didn't already have a pretty good idea that she could line up a new, workable partnership. I'm hoping it works out for her.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Yeah, I mean more that it's surprising Marissa would have even broken the partnership if she didn't already have a pretty good idea that she could line up a new, workable partnership. I'm hoping it works out for her.

Agreed. She's so so talented and I'd hate to see her fade out like Caitlin Yanskowskas (who I know now has a British partner but is now light years away from where she once was and where we thought she'd end up) did-- especially here when unlike Caitlin, she's the one walking away from the team. I can't believe USFS would even have put out the press release on this split without a fairly solid plan in place for her but that's probably giving them way more credit than they deserve.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see Leng and Shnapir as a particularly good match. He brings fabulous pairs skills to the table but he's not the most exciting performer. Castelli was and that's why they worked. Even when they had errors, her charisma saved the performance every single time. He needs a partner with star quality to show off and he's effective at doing that. With Leng and LeDuc, they were the rare pair where you watched him instead of her. It seems like Shnapir's team just went down the line of available girls from Nationals with semi consistent triples and she was the highest ranked and now we have a team of the 2 less interesting halves of the 2 former pairs. I do get that the pressure was probably on to find someone fast before GP deadlines and she's agreed to go to Boston, which I'm sure was a big plus in her favor.

I do wish them well- I loved C/S and I liked L/L and I'm inclined to root for anyone who was dumped by their longtime partner after a successful Olympics. And it's not like any US pairs are lighting up the PCS world so maybe they'll be just fine.