Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership

gold12345

Medalist
Yeah, I mean more that it's surprising Marissa would have even broken the partnership if she didn't already have a pretty good idea that she could line up a new, workable partnership.

That is typically the way pair splits work though. You split with your partner, with no guarantees that another partnership will materialize, never mind be better than your old one. Things can get ugly if you try to look for a new partner behind your partner's back. Even if you don't end up finding a new one, your current partner would still be left in the awkward position of feeling not wanted, and there might be trust issues and feelings of betrayal moving forward. So the best thing to do is to end the unhappy partnership first, which is what Marissa did. She and Simon were together 8 years, so she likely wanted to be as respectful as possible towards him in the split. And it has been said continuously that they didn't have a strong relationship, so that may have played a real part in Marissa wanting to end it.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see Leng and Shnapir as a particularly good match. He brings fabulous pairs skills to the table but he's not the most exciting performer. Castelli was and that's why they worked. Even when they had errors, her charisma saved the performance every single time. He needs a partner with star quality to show off and he's effective at doing that. With Leng and LeDuc, they were the rare pair where you watched him instead of her. It seems like Shnapir's team just went down the line of available girls from Nationals with semi consistent triples and she was the highest ranked and now we have a team of the 2 less exciting halves of 2 good pairs. I do get that the pressure was probably on to find someone fast before GP deadlines and she's agreed to go to Boston, which I'm sure was a big plus in her favor.

Interesting point. Leng seems reserved, not particularly expressive on the ice. The girl of the partnership is to be the "flower" to the guy's "stem", but I would consider Leng to be a bit of a "stem" like Shnapir. I can't see them having a particularly good rapport on the ice, but they didn't really have that with their previous partners either. They're different in terms of style. Height wise, I think they might look a bit better on the ice than Castelli & Shnapir (Leng is about an inch taller than Castelli), but it's tough to say how they would mesh in terms of presentation or technically (I do think Shnapir is probably a stronger pair skater overall than LeDuc). I agree that these skaters probably rush sometimes to try to get something together fast and take whatever's available. It must be difficult to know when it's better to wait a while and see who's available later on. But usually there aren't too many options.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Someone over at FSU claims that Marissa will be teaming up with Mervin Tran. No official announcement yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wow!

Not impossible. C&S spent a lot of time with Marcotte in Canada this last year. I wonder whether
she'd be training the couple? Tran skated for Canada this last year, so I presume he would have to wait out his time before competing internationally.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow!

Not impossible. C&S spent a lot of time with Marcotte in Canada this last year. I wonder whether
she'd be training the couple? Trsn skated for Canada this last year, so I presume he would have to wait out his time before comprting internationslly.

Actually Mervin's last competition was 2012 Worlds, so it's been more than a year, so if he got the release from Canada he could compete right away.

If we go by speculation that they represent Canada, then yes, Marissa will have to sit out for a year since her last competition was Worlds 2014. And that also depends on how quickly the U.S. will release her...(if they are wiling to do so at all...)

seabm7

Final Flight
Actually Mervin's last competition was 2012 Worlds, so it's been more than a year, so if he got the release from Canada he could compete right away.

You missed his record with Purich. He went to 2014 4CC.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Someone over at FSU claims that Marissa will be teaming up with Mervin Tran. No official announcement yet.

I think they could be an interesting pair and there's an obvious Boston/Montreal connection. But logistically this is a huge question mark. He's not getting US citizenship even if they train here- it basically took an act of God for Tanith Belbin to get citizenship before Torino and she had been living in the US for 7 years at that point. And she was a World medalist.

So they have to skate for Canada. And unless USFS is getting major major money from Skate Canada, why would they not hold up the release for as long as possible? I love Marissa but I couldn't really blame them. She's their most talented pair girl, a 2 time US champion, and their only pairs Olympic medalist with a US World coming in basically her hometown. Its not in their interest to gift her to Canada for a very talented Canadian skater. Not that she couldn't be released eventually but this sounds like a huge amount of red tape that borders on not being worth it. At the same time, neither one currently has options in their own country.

Also if this is happening, it was probably intentionally being kept quiet because of all the political crap its going to involve. I feel bad its not being announced on her terms.

This pairs offseason is the most insane I remember in 20 years as a skating fan.

Yes, I'd heard about this as well!! If it's true, I hope that it works out for them if they feel they're a good fit. Heaven knows she didn't really have many boys from the USA to choose from.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think they could be an interesting pair and there's an obvious Boston/Montreal connection. But logistically this is a huge question mark. He's not getting US citizenship even if they train here- it basically took an act of God for Tanith Belbin to get citizenship before Torino and she had been living in the US for 7 years at that point. And she was a World medalist. ...

Although Tran also is a World medalist :bow:, the huge logistical question mark remains. But I really, really hope that one way or another Tran will have a shot at the 2018 Olympics.

In any case, best to all four skaters in their new partnerships. :yay: :popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also if this is happening, it was probably intentionally being kept quiet because of all the political crap its going to involve. I feel bad its not being announced on her terms.

This pairs offseason is the most insane I remember in 20 years as a skating fan.

Yes, I really question why the poster on FSU thought it was a good idea to release that information. Some people called her/him out on it but the poster justified that it was "OK" to release the info.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well the USFS should be proud of itself. First they let perhaps the best US Lady in Pairs sit out for so long she finally decides to skate for the UK and the now the 2-time US Pairs champion is probably going to be skating for another country too. And we wonder why the US can't have decent Pairs teams. :disapp:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well the USFS should be proud of itself. First they let perhaps the best US Lady in Pairs sit out for so long she finally decides to skate for the UK and the now the 2-time US Pairs champion is probably going to be skating for another country too. And we wonder why the US can't have decent Pairs teams. :disapp:

They can't control the fact that John Coughlin decided to skate with someone else nor that Caitlin's subsequent partnerships with other U.S. pair skaters did not work out. As for Marissa -- it was her decision to end the partnership with Simon, again nothing that the USFS can do in that situation.

flutzy13

On the Ice
They can't control the fact that John Coughlin decided to skate with someone else nor that Caitlin's subsequent partnerships with other U.S. pair skaters did not work out. As for Marissa -- it was her decision to end the partnership with Simon, again nothing that the USFS can do in that situation.

The Y/C situation was so weird. USFS issued a press release that seemed to imply John was retiring while he and Delilah were plotting the Caydee thing. So I think its very possible USFS was too in the dark to stop that train until Y/R were done. Or they saw that he was moving to a young partnerless US champion/Olympian who was a more consistent jumper (right or wrong, they've obviously never been bothered by Denney's fugly lifts and bad packaging) and were fine with it. After that I think they were eager to make Y/Reagan happen and got them 2 GPs but it just fizzled in part because of injury and also rumors that they dated and it went south.

The C/S thing is different as I'm sure USFS was majorly in the know that was about to go down since all seemed to play out during USFS sponsored SOI. I would like to think they were smart enough to try to convince a 2 time US champion/part of the OBM team that they're so desperate to sell to continue to the partnership. They should have offered them like D/W's envelope funding as well as their own, assuming they're not competing. But in the end if a Boston Worlds, a depleted pairs field and the lack of US pair guys wasn't enough to make her want to stay with Simon plus the fact that Simon and their coaches didn't want a split, I'm not sure what USFS could have done. I'm sure they were hoping at the very least that the rumored LeDuc tryout worked out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And although Tran was a world medallist, he didn't reach that eminence on Skate Canada's dime. It might be easier for him to get his release.

Last edited:

flutzy13

On the Ice
They'd have an easier time of it, competing for the US, I'd think?

Except the 2018 Olympics will be out of the question. Because he'll never get citizenship in time. Tanith barely got it after seven years of training here and really only did because she had already won 2 medals for the US and Congress got involved. Roca's partner didn't get it prior to 1994. If they want to just keep skating, get GPs and maybe go to Worlds, then skate for the US once Canada releases him. But if they have aspirations of Pyeongchang, there's almost no chance.

Shani

On the Ice
They could skate at US Nationals though this year. And for any international competition they qualified for more than 12 months after 4CC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He was OK with Narumi, and I am sure he knew Japanese citizenship was never happening. Marissa has been to Olympics and has an OBM. The next Olympics may not be their first goal.