Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir end partnership

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
With the recent photo of Marissa in Florida, I was starting to think that Nathan B. might be in play. He is such a solid partner & they would look wonderful together.
Yes, I also love Felicia, but Nathan & Marissa really would be a dream team (at least for me).

flutzy13

On the Ice
He was OK with Narumi, and I am sure he knew Japanese citizenship was never happening. Marissa has been to Olympics and has an OBM. The next Olympics may not be their first goal.

True. But at the same time, I feel like because she's been, it has to be a big goal to experience it again and a big part of the reason she's signing up for another long cycle of the grueling training of an elite skater and not just retiring having fulfilled her Olympic dream. It's not like there's huge money in skating anymore so the Olympic berth seems to be what all of them are driven by. Im not saying there aren't other goals and that people can't skate because they love it- just that I can't imagine the Olympics is a nonissue for any skater at that level

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mervin could establish US residency, if he wants to, by living just over the border, either near the Highgate Springs border crossing in Vermont or near the border in Champlain, NY. Either way, it is about 60 miles to St. Leonard, where the rink is, a long but not impossible commute. There is a card you get to facilitate border crossing for work. He would need to spend at least 180 days in the U.S. per year. He won't have enough years for citizenship for 2018 Korea, without a bill from Congress, but 2022 is possible.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I would rather see Marissa with Timothy LeDuc. Yes, the forums will explode with all the scenarios for drama, but I love the personality that both exude.

tulosai

Record Breaker
True. But at the same time, I feel like because she's been, it has to be a big goal to experience it again and a big part of the reason she's signing up for another long cycle of the grueling training of an elite skater and not just retiring having fulfilled her Olympic dream. It's not like there's huge money in skating anymore so the Olympic berth seems to be what all of them are driven by. Im not saying there aren't other goals and that people can't skate because they love it- just that I can't imagine the Olympics is a nonissue for any skater at that level

I mean, while I find it hard to believe that either of them cares ZERO about the Olys, he in fact publicly stated that he was okay with never going to Olys, and wanted to continue to skate with Narumi despite the fact that he KNEW the Olys would NEVER be an option then. It was her who split from him thinking she had to get to the Olys (which I suppose worked out for her, if she was content to do really badly at the Olympics).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I mean, while I find it hard to believe that either of them cares ZERO about the Olys, he in fact publicly stated that he was okay with never going to Olys, and wanted to continue to skate with Narumi despite the fact that he KNEW the Olys would NEVER be an option then. It was her who split from him thinking she had to get to the Olys (which I suppose worked out for her, if she was content to do really badly at the Olympics).

In the long run, they might gotten the citizenship they needed to get to the Olympics in 2018 or 2022 somehow. It is a shame really. I don't think either did as well with their new partners...but I suppose Narumi's partnership can still develop.

tulosai

Record Breaker
In the long run, they might gotten the citizenship they needed to get to the Olympics in 2018 or 2022 somehow. It is a shame really. I don't think either did as well with their new partners...but I suppose Narumi's partnership can still develop.

Yeah, especially with the shake ups in Canada currently. Not sure if she's ever have considered giving up her Japanese citizenship, and they'd have needed to sit out for probably 2 years, but that could have been one way in. I don't see either being as successful with a new partner unfortunately, even going forward, but I certainly would not mind to be proven wrong.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I would rather see Marissa with Timothy LeDuc. Yes, the forums will explode with all the scenarios for drama, but I love the personality that both exude.

A LOT of people seemed to be wanting this pair. And I really don't see it. I agree that she's way more of a star than DeeDee and he's a better basic skater/jumper than Simon. But I don't think that automatically would make them better for each other. She's all speed and power (granted with some beautiful positions) and he's all lovely, deliberate movements and grace. It would be a little bit ballet meets a little bit rock and roll. Add in the fact that he's not a particularly strong lifter when fantastic lifts were kind of one of her main things and might nor be able to chuck her into a quad- which seems to be her only throw option beyond the axel. I think they're two skaters everyone loves and wants good partners for but I'm not sure they'd be good partners for each other.

Anyway, there were strong rumors from several placed that they tried out and another rumor on FSU that it didn't work out. I think Mervin is a more exciting choice skating wise even though Marissa is literally the last skater I want to see stuck in political release red tape.

The drama of an L/L and C/S swapping partners might have gotten us an NBC fluff piece though.

Anyway, there were strong rumors they tried out so it must not have worked on some level.

The drama of an L/L and C/S swapping partners might have gotten us an NBC fluff piece though.

Yeah, I heard those rumors too.... I wonder if/who LeDuc will partner with...

twirlingaround

Rinkside
Yeah, I heard those rumors too.... I wonder if/who LeDuc will partner with...

The Rumor of Marissa and Mervyn skating really has caused alot of stir and really one BIG RUMOR! Because from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE. Marissa and Tim LeDuc have partnered up and WILL be skating together. The whole big rumor thing about Marissa and Mervyn from what I was told was intentional to deflect people from speculating the Partner Swapping when the partnership of Simon and DeeDee were announced. LOL...... Personally I would have thought Tim and Gretchen would have been a much better match then Tim and Marissa.

flutzy13

On the Ice
The Rumor of Marissa and Mervyn skating really has caused alot of stir and really one BIG RUMOR! Because from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE. Marissa and Tim LeDuc have partnered up and WILL be skating together. The whole big rumor thing about Marissa and Mervyn from what I was told was intentional to deflect people from speculating the Partner Swapping when the partnership of Simon and DeeDee were announced. LOL...... Personally I would have thought Tim and Gretchen would have been a much better match then Tim and Marissa.

Interesting but it sounds more than a little out there. I'm not sure I see the need to drag Mervin in as a deflect just to throw off a handful of skating fans who were talking about this. I was a huge C/S fan but they're pretty far from Meryl and Charlie fame and really probably only hardcore skating fans are even aware of this split. People were speculating the L/L and C/S partner swap from the day Marissa and Simon announced their split. It's not like there's a million available partners so it was always obvious that was a strong possibility.

Despite the fact that I don't think Castelli and LeDuc would be a match for the reasons I stated above, this pair would make a hell a lot more sense logistically/practically than a partnership with Tran as much as I like him. In any case though, it probably makes sense to just wait to hear from Marissa who hasn't said a word publicly on the subject since the icenetwork piece right after the split. Which is why it's unfortunate the Tran rumor took off so much on FSU because one poster wanted to feel like they were breaking news.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

The possibility that Tran is being used is not a laughing matter. :no:

Waiting to see what the truth is re Castelli.
I have liked her in the past, but if Tran remains partnerless in the end, what is funny about that? :mad:

... I'm not sure I see the need to drag Mervin in as a deflect just to throw off a handful of skating fans who were talking about this. ....

Thanks, flutzy. I do not see any need either.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't just a false rumor. Marisa has indeed teamed with Mervin Tran---it is true. It makes a lot of sense. Both have years of experience and are a good fit, as Marisa is tiny enough for Mervin.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It isn't just a false rumor. Marisa has indeed teamed with Mervin Tran---it is true. It makes a lot of sense. Both have years of experience and are a good fit, as Marisa is tiny enough for Mervin.

What's your source, chuckm? At this point we have two different posters (one on FSU and one here) claiming "reliable sources" that two different scenarios are true. At this point I'm skeptical until I see something a bit more concrete.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Its official. Castelli and Tran have paired up and will represent the US.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/10/79080006/

"Castelli said she never considered representing Canada, telling icenetwork, "I'm American all the way." Tran is awaiting word regarding his release from Skate Canada. Skate Canada's board of directors is expected to make a decision regarding Tran's future at their next meeting, which is scheduled for the end of June. At a minimum, he is not expected to be able to compete internationally for a year. Tran's last competition was at Four Continents when he and Purich finished fifth.

While Skate Canada officials sort out Tran's issues regarding what country he can represent on the ice, the couple has already started training together. They plan to train in both Boston, where Castelli has spent much of her career, and in Montreal. When the skaters are in Boston, they will work with coach Bobby Martin. They plan to train in Montreal the majority of the time, however, and will work with coach Bruno Marcotte."

tulosai

Record Breaker

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/10/79080006/

"Castelli said she never considered representing Canada, telling icenetwork, "I'm American all the way." Tran is awaiting word regarding his release from Skate Canada. Skate Canada's board of directors is expected to make a decision regarding Tran's future at their next meeting, which is scheduled for the end of June. At a minimum, he is not expected to be able to compete internationally for a year. Tran's last competition was at Four Continents when he and Purich finished fifth.

While Skate Canada officials sort out Tran's issues regarding what country he can represent on the ice, the couple has already started training together. They plan to train in both Boston, where Castelli has spent much of her career, and in Montreal. When the skaters are in Boston, they will work with coach Bobby Martin. They plan to train in Montreal the majority of the time, however, and will work with coach Bruno Marcotte."

Their being in Montreal most of the time is a big problem if he is to have any hope of getting US citizenship.

Honestly, I do not see how they will be able to get to the Olys based on this very limited info, but if that is not a huge concern to them, more power to them.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It does sound like the tryouts went really well though.

"I didn't want to skate together at first," Castelli admitted. "Then we skated together and I said, 'OK, maybe we'll try that again.'"

ice coverage

Record Breaker

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/10/79080006/ ...

Thx for breaking the official news, flutzy. I was going to suggest that you start a Castelli/Tran thread at this point, but I see that someone else did so within the last few minutes.

I hope things work out well in terms of their on-ice partnering. :popcorn: And in terms of Tran becoming an Olympian. :yes:

ETA:
Forgot to say that I am relieved that the rumor that turned out be false was that the Castelli/Tran rumblings were planted as a diversionary tactic.​