Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?
It's off-season and I've been watching a lot of old videos on Youtube.
I've realised that I seem to be exceptionally susceptible to chills/goose bumps/shivers when I see something awesome, and I always seem to get them at the same point of a programme. It doesn't necessarily have to be an especially cool lift or an exciting jump or a fast spin - sometimes the tiniest hand gesture just hits the spot exactly! I thought it might be fun to see if the parts that we find chill-inducingly awesome are the same for others, and at the same time give each other suggestions for vids we haven't seen/have not watched in a while that are worth a re-watch.
Some of my "special moments" are:
- Charlie's huge half-loop in their Borodin free dance
- The few strokes exactly to music just before the diagonal step sequence in D/W's Samson & Delilah & the back spiral into the camel spin in the same
- The Y-spiral followed by the 'tano Lutz in Jason's Riverdance free skate
- The hand gestures exactly to the music in the 2nd spin in Ashley's Samson & Delilah free skate
- The step sequence in Max's Tron sp - there's one cool step he does that I can't really describe, but it gets me every time
I am a figure skating newbie so I don't know all the correct terms. But of some of the recent skates I have seen I love the way Carolina Kostner glides from one element into another during Ave Maria. There is something so refined and feminine about every little movement she makes that is unmatched by any other female skater I have seen. Also at one point she comes to a complete stop during the performance, which I found quite daring and very powerfull.
Another favorite moment for me was Adelina Sotnikova encouraging the crowd during her Fs in sochi. I know a lot of people don't like it/her for various reasons, but to me there was something so beautiful and powerful about that moment. Here is this little girl with all the pressure in the world on her shoulders in front of a home crowd doing the skate of her life. Having made it trough all her difficult jumps and spins, she is finally able to relax a little and just be in this moment of pure joy and extacy. I just found it a very moving moment.
Rejoicing in the land of Kwan
Bona Fide Member
First that comes to my mind from recent performances is Hanyu's Ina Bauer at Worlds:
Wicked Yankee Girl