Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

Hybrid View

Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

It's off-season and I've been watching a lot of old videos on Youtube.

I've realised that I seem to be exceptionally susceptible to chills/goose bumps/shivers when I see something awesome, and I always seem to get them at the same point of a programme. It doesn't necessarily have to be an especially cool lift or an exciting jump or a fast spin - sometimes the tiniest hand gesture just hits the spot exactly! I thought it might be fun to see if the parts that we find chill-inducingly awesome are the same for others, and at the same time give each other suggestions for vids we haven't seen/have not watched in a while that are worth a re-watch.

Some of my "special moments" are:

- Charlie's huge half-loop in their Borodin free dance
    - The few strokes exactly to music just before the diagonal step sequence in D/W's Samson & Delilah & the back spiral into the camel spin in the same
    - The Y-spiral followed by the 'tano Lutz in Jason's Riverdance free skate
    - The hand gestures exactly to the music in the 2nd spin in Ashley's Samson & Delilah free skate
    - The step sequence in Max's Tron sp - there's one cool step he does that I can't really describe, but it gets me every time

Rinkside
    I am a figure skating newbie so I don't know all the correct terms. But of some of the recent skates I have seen I love the way Carolina Kostner glides from one element into another during Ave Maria. There is something so refined and feminine about every little movement she makes that is unmatched by any other female skater I have seen. Also at one point she comes to a complete stop during the performance, which I found quite daring and very powerfull.

Another favorite moment for me was Adelina Sotnikova encouraging the crowd during her Fs in sochi. I know a lot of people don't like it/her for various reasons, but to me there was something so beautiful and powerful about that moment. Here is this little girl with all the pressure in the world on her shoulders in front of a home crowd doing the skate of her life. Having made it trough all her difficult jumps and spins, she is finally able to relax a little and just be in this moment of pure joy and extacy. I just found it a very moving moment.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by titatovenaar View Post
    Another favorite moment for me was Adelina Sotnikova encouraging the crowd during her Fs in sochi. I know a lot of people don't like it/her for various reasons, but to me there was something so beautiful and powerful about that moment. Here is this little girl with all the pressure in the world on her shoulders in front of a home crowd doing the skate of her life. Having made it trough all her difficult jumps and spins, she is finally able to relax a little and just be in this moment of pure joy and extacy. I just found it a very moving moment.
    I think that's the best explanation/defense I've heard re: Adelina's encouraging the crowd/waving. A lot of people didn't like it but I agree with you. She'd managed to give her best under the most pressure she'd ever been under in her life. She was elated! People forget she's only 17 years old! The kid had just had the skate of her life...some people can't contain that kind of emotion. I found it refreshing to see her cut loose and thoroughly enjoy the moment...she was the only skater who did. Everyone else was pretty much all business...she just went out there and had a blast. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Say what you will about the scoring but I won't take that moment away from Adelina. I enjoyed both of her performances in Sochi b/c she tapped into that focus she'd been missing for so long and she managed to do it without skating like a zombie. You could see she was into her performance and having fun. A lot of younger skaters will completely drop the performance and focus solely on the jumps, and it shows. Best example is Gracie Gold's FS from nationals in 2013. She was flawless but she was also completely blank/dead in terms of her performance.

Adelina managed to really let herself go in the sense that she hit all of her elements and did it while having a blast and playing to the audience/judges. I admire and respect that.

And about Carolina, yes...she is exquisite. Since you're a newbie to the sport (welcome, by the way! ) I would advise you to go back and watch some of Carolina's performances from this last quad. From 2011-2014 she really blossomed as a skater, performer and artist.

The superbe split RoLi in the middle of D/W's Die Flendermaus, that made everything so perfect! (2:40 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSzLIs9S24 )

Julia's Ina Bauer in her Schindler's List ChSq: so gente, delicate and emotional (3:37 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QyFQXxeTnk )

The whole second half of Caro's Vampire SP (from 1:34 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywtl-3833c ): she realizes that the vampire has bitten her, then those little hops, the 2A and that incredible StSq begins (pay attention to that crazily difficult little jump at 2:20!)

Michelle's RFI spiral in her Rachmaninoff SP (2:14 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk ): all her joy came out and made the crowd react so emotionally!

Akiko's ChSq at the end of her O FS: that was pure beauty and happiness flying on ice (3:50 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg )

Custom Title
    First that comes to my mind from recent performances is Hanyu's Ina Bauer at Worlds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP6N31F9nzQ#t=245

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    From old performances, T&D's paso doble osp, 1984, the part when Chris strides up the ice, dragging Jayne, a fluttering cape, behind him.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The whole second half of Caro's Vampire SP (from 1:34 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywtl-3833c ): she realizes that the vampire has bitten her, then those little hops, the 2A and that incredible StSq begins (pay attention to that crazily difficult little jump at 2:20!)
    I hadn't seen that one before, thanks! It was awesome!

On the Ice
    Lots of T&D's dances give me chills. One of them is definitely Encounter. The whole dance gives me goose bumps, but those moment (4.05, 4.28, 4.42) are just ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWk5a0I1BA

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think that's the best explanation/defense I've heard re: Adelina's encouraging the crowd/waving. A lot of people didn't like it but I agree with you. She'd managed to give her best under the most pressure she'd ever been under in her life. She was elated! People forget she's only 17 years old! The kid had just had the skate of her life...some people can't contain that kind of emotion. I found it refreshing to see her cut loose and thoroughly enjoy the moment...she was the only skater who did. Everyone else was pretty much all business...she just went out there and had a blast. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Say what you will about the scoring but I won't take that moment away from Adelina. I enjoyed both of her performances in Sochi b/c she tapped into that focus she'd been missing for so long and she managed to do it without skating like a zombie. You could see she was into her performance and having fun. A lot of younger skaters will completely drop the performance and focus solely on the jumps, and it shows. Best example is Gracie Gold's FS from nationals in 2013. She was flawless but she was also completely blank/dead in terms of her performance.

Adelina managed to really let herself go in the sense that she hit all of her elements and did it while having a blast and playing to the audience/judges. I admire and respect that.

And about Carolina, yes...she is exquisite. Since you're a newbie to the sport (welcome, by the way! ) I would advise you to go back and watch some of Carolina's performances from this last quad. From 2011-2014 she really blossomed as a skater, performer and artist.
    I agree re: Adelina - it was almost uncanny how relaxed and happy she was! It looked like I'd imagine she'd look if she did a run-through of her programme just for fun for a group of friends! Incredible composure for a 17-year-old.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by titatovenaar View Post
    I am a figure skating newbie so I don't know all the correct terms. But of some of the recent skates I have seen I love the way Carolina Kostner glides from one element into another during Ave Maria. There is something so refined and feminine about every little movement she makes that is unmatched by any other female skater I have seen. Also at one point she comes to a complete stop during the performance, which I found quite daring and very powerfull.

Hi,
    Some skating performances are beautiful not only because of the choreography but because of the difficulty faced by the skaters.

Here are some that have some deep meaning.
    Rudy Galindo, 1996 US Nationals
    Rudy was not the judges favourite, being gay and all. Based on a book I read the judges had already decided he was not going to medal (maybe bronze). However after this performance, they could only shut up and give him the title.

Midori Ito's LP at the Calaragy Olympics in 1988
    Midori was not the fav, Witt and Thomas were the medal contender. However among the ladies, this is the performance that I always like to watch. Maybe she is a bit rough around the edges, but she is amazing.

Natalia Mishkutenok-Artur Dmitriev's LP in 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
    probably the best stake of their entire career. They had a tough time during their pro-career and decided to compete at this Olympics.

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik skating to Casi un Bolero in 1999/2000
    This is probably one of the best ice dance performance, perfomed by non-ice dancers.
    Gordeeva who used to be a pair skater with her late husband Sergey Grinkov, started to date Ilia Kulik four years later. This performance is about them.

And finally, Gordeeva skating to Mahler - Symphony No. 5 during "Celebration of a Life" in 1996
    Here Gordeeva skated her first solo performance after Sergei's death.
    "The crowd rose and clapped, then stopped and was transported. For the next five minutes, to the haunting strains of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5, Gordeeva exposed her soul with such gentleness and pathos and strength that no one watching could remain unmoved. This was a rarity: sport, art and tragedy fused into one"

All these performances are available on youtube. Please watch them if you haven't done before.

Custom Title
    I like these moments. They're so simple but so cool and the second one is so poignant.

Stéphane Lambiel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9snEtUHJZ0 3:11 and 5:02-5:25

Custom Title
    in the middle of the difficult season with his injury and uncertainty about Olympic selection, Daisuke fought hard. This segment of Friends and Lovers at Japanese Nationals 2013 gives me chills no matter how many times I watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVHs3KVZ20#t=02m47s

Daisuke's 2011/12 season SP, i get the biggest goosebumps when he pauses in the step sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUplazBWp0

Like so many of you mentioned, Mao's Sochi LP. Especially from the moment she nails her 8th triple, the loop till the end when she bursts into tears... Gets me every single time.

1996 Worlds Michelle's SP - the part she strokes so graciously into Ina Bauer at 1.24, and where she taps her hands so captured in the feel of the music at 3.20.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvRCis1upE

2004 Worlds Shizuka's LP - you can see that the usually reserved Shizuka really feels the music at 7.23 during the magnificent Spread Eagle, then to nailing the second 3lutz, then to Ina Bauer till the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYtIDzcrF0

Shizuka's Torino LP - the part she moves to the gorgeous Y spiral with only a couple of strokes at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9EaMEk74g

Watching Patrick's steps. Especially Take Five.

Davis & White's Free Dance 2013/14. The part they just keep going and going from 3:35 is insane.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fe1e869cA

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble77 View Post
    Hi,
    Some skating performances are beautiful not only because of the choreography but because of the difficulty faced by the skaters.

Here are some that have some deep meaning.

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik skating to Casi un Bolero in 1999/2000
    This is probably one of the best ice dance performance, perfomed by non-ice dancers.
    Gordeeva who used to be a pair skater with her late husband Sergey Grinkov, started to date Ilia Kulik four years later. This performance is about them.

And finally, Gordeeva skating to Mahler - Symphony No. 5 during "Celebration of a Life" in 1996
    Here Gordeeva skated her first solo performance after Sergei's death.
    "The crowd rose and clapped, then stopped and was transported. For the next five minutes, to the haunting strains of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5, Gordeeva exposed her soul with such gentleness and pathos and strength that no one watching could remain unmoved. This was a rarity: sport, art and tragedy fused into one"

All these performances are available on youtube. Please watch them if you haven't done before.
    Casi un Bolero is one of my favorites. It is a perfect example of how skating can convey emotion, character, and even narrative. The way these two skaters blended their separate talents, from separate training regimens, without years of skating together behind them, is phenomenal. Sandra Bezic did a brilliant job of using their strengths to create this program.

Gordeeva's Mahler--like watching the earth move. This piece was nearly unskateable, but no other music could have been better to convey the profound loss and grief Katia had experienced. Confession: When Virtue and Moir skated to this music, I was never able to enter completely into the spell they cast, because the Adagietto has just one meaning to me, and that meaning transcends competitive skating. Tessa and Scott looked beautiful, to be sure, and they well deserved the OGM that this earned them, but I wish that Zoueva had used some other part of a Mahler symphony for them in 2010.

I don't mean to criticize Zoueva at all, but I've always been curious: has anyone ever asked her why she used this music again? She choreographed the original version for Katia out of her own grief for Sergei, so clearly the piece meant a great deal to her. I'd love to know how it came to her to recast it into something more serene and graceful rather than a statement of unimaginable rupture and anguish.

Custom Title
    I just want to say kudos to the OP, TMC, for starting this thread as I am so enjoying following the video links of skating performances posted here as well as reading the explanations why they are deemed to give chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    I just want to say kudos to the OP, TMC, for starting this thread as I am so enjoying following the video links of skating performances posted here as well as reading the explanations why they are deemed to give chills.
    Happy to be useful I'm loving this as well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast