Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113

Thread: Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

  1. #1
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,392

    Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

    It's off-season and I've been watching a lot of old videos on Youtube.

    I've realised that I seem to be exceptionally susceptible to chills/goose bumps/shivers when I see something awesome, and I always seem to get them at the same point of a programme. It doesn't necessarily have to be an especially cool lift or an exciting jump or a fast spin - sometimes the tiniest hand gesture just hits the spot exactly! I thought it might be fun to see if the parts that we find chill-inducingly awesome are the same for others, and at the same time give each other suggestions for vids we haven't seen/have not watched in a while that are worth a re-watch.

    Some of my "special moments" are:

    - Charlie's huge half-loop in their Borodin free dance
    - The few strokes exactly to music just before the diagonal step sequence in D/W's Samson & Delilah & the back spiral into the camel spin in the same
    - The Y-spiral followed by the 'tano Lutz in Jason's Riverdance free skate
    - The hand gestures exactly to the music in the 2nd spin in Ashley's Samson & Delilah free skate
    - The step sequence in Max's Tron sp - there's one cool step he does that I can't really describe, but it gets me every time

  2. #2
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    20
    I am a figure skating newbie so I don't know all the correct terms. But of some of the recent skates I have seen I love the way Carolina Kostner glides from one element into another during Ave Maria. There is something so refined and feminine about every little movement she makes that is unmatched by any other female skater I have seen. Also at one point she comes to a complete stop during the performance, which I found quite daring and very powerfull.

    Another favorite moment for me was Adelina Sotnikova encouraging the crowd during her Fs in sochi. I know a lot of people don't like it/her for various reasons, but to me there was something so beautiful and powerful about that moment. Here is this little girl with all the pressure in the world on her shoulders in front of a home crowd doing the skate of her life. Having made it trough all her difficult jumps and spins, she is finally able to relax a little and just be in this moment of pure joy and extacy. I just found it a very moving moment.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    - The step sequence in Max's Tron free skate - there's one cool step he does that I can't really describe, but it gets me every time
    Max's Tron SP is just all-round epic awesomeness. (That whole first group at 2013 Nats was epic awesomeness, actually.) And I think I know which step you mean.

    In that vein, Jason's lovely Liebestrame free skate at JW2013. The whole thing!

    The step sequence in Plushenko's 2013 European SP. Oh, it is pure magic. He knew his back was screwed, he knew he couldn't go on, but the steps were just...

    Josh hits every nuance of the music in his almost-perfect Bach SP at 2013 Nats

    Plushenko's Russian Nats SP - that chilling, spine-tingling moment when he took the ice again after that back surgery, against almost impossible odds...

    Brendan Kerry's hauntingly perfect SP at Nebelhorn...

  4. #4
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by titatovenaar View Post
    Another favorite moment for me was Adelina Sotnikova encouraging the crowd during her Fs in sochi. I know a lot of people don't like it/her for various reasons, but to me there was something so beautiful and powerful about that moment. Here is this little girl with all the pressure in the world on her shoulders in front of a home crowd doing the skate of her life. Having made it trough all her difficult jumps and spins, she is finally able to relax a little and just be in this moment of pure joy and extacy. I just found it a very moving moment.
    I think that's the best explanation/defense I've heard re: Adelina's encouraging the crowd/waving. A lot of people didn't like it but I agree with you. She'd managed to give her best under the most pressure she'd ever been under in her life. She was elated! People forget she's only 17 years old! The kid had just had the skate of her life...some people can't contain that kind of emotion. I found it refreshing to see her cut loose and thoroughly enjoy the moment...she was the only skater who did. Everyone else was pretty much all business...she just went out there and had a blast. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

    Say what you will about the scoring but I won't take that moment away from Adelina. I enjoyed both of her performances in Sochi b/c she tapped into that focus she'd been missing for so long and she managed to do it without skating like a zombie. You could see she was into her performance and having fun. A lot of younger skaters will completely drop the performance and focus solely on the jumps, and it shows. Best example is Gracie Gold's FS from nationals in 2013. She was flawless but she was also completely blank/dead in terms of her performance.

    Adelina managed to really let herself go in the sense that she hit all of her elements and did it while having a blast and playing to the audience/judges. I admire and respect that.


    And about Carolina, yes...she is exquisite. Since you're a newbie to the sport (welcome, by the way! ) I would advise you to go back and watch some of Carolina's performances from this last quad. From 2011-2014 she really blossomed as a skater, performer and artist.

  5. #5
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,964
    The superbe split RoLi in the middle of D/W's Die Flendermaus, that made everything so perfect! (2:40 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSzLIs9S24 )

    Julia's Ina Bauer in her Schindler's List ChSq: so gente, delicate and emotional (3:37 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QyFQXxeTnk )

    The whole second half of Caro's Vampire SP (from 1:34 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywtl-3833c ): she realizes that the vampire has bitten her, then those little hops, the 2A and that incredible StSq begins (pay attention to that crazily difficult little jump at 2:20!)

    Michelle's RFI spiral in her Rachmaninoff SP (2:14 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk ): all her joy came out and made the crowd react so emotionally!

    Akiko's ChSq at the end of her O FS: that was pure beauty and happiness flying on ice (3:50 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg )

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    924
    First that comes to my mind from recent performances is Hanyu's Ina Bauer at Worlds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP6N31F9nzQ#t=245

  7. #7
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,823
    From old performances, T&D's paso doble osp, 1984, the part when Chris strides up the ice, dragging Jayne, a fluttering cape, behind him.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA

  8. #8
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    From old performances, T&D's paso doble osp, 1984, the part when Chris strides up the ice, dragging Jayne, a fluttering cape, behind him.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA
    What have I just seen... That was INCREDIBLE! Thank you!

  9. #9
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think that's the best explanation/defense I've heard re: Adelina's encouraging the crowd/waving. A lot of people didn't like it but I agree with you. She'd managed to give her best under the most pressure she'd ever been under in her life. She was elated! People forget she's only 17 years old! The kid had just had the skate of her life...some people can't contain that kind of emotion. I found it refreshing to see her cut loose and thoroughly enjoy the moment...she was the only skater who did. Everyone else was pretty much all business...she just went out there and had a blast. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

    Say what you will about the scoring but I won't take that moment away from Adelina. I enjoyed both of her performances in Sochi b/c she tapped into that focus she'd been missing for so long and she managed to do it without skating like a zombie. You could see she was into her performance and having fun. A lot of younger skaters will completely drop the performance and focus solely on the jumps, and it shows. Best example is Gracie Gold's FS from nationals in 2013. She was flawless but she was also completely blank/dead in terms of her performance.

    Adelina managed to really let herself go in the sense that she hit all of her elements and did it while having a blast and playing to the audience/judges. I admire and respect that.


    And about Carolina, yes...she is exquisite. Since you're a newbie to the sport (welcome, by the way! ) I would advise you to go back and watch some of Carolina's performances from this last quad. From 2011-2014 she really blossomed as a skater, performer and artist.
    I agree re: Adelina - it was almost uncanny how relaxed and happy she was! It looked like I'd imagine she'd look if she did a run-through of her programme just for fun for a group of friends! Incredible composure for a 17-year-old.

  10. #10
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Max's Tron SP is just all-round epic awesomeness. (That whole first group at 2013 Nats was epic awesomeness, actually.) And I think I know which step you mean.
    Let's see: it's at exactly 3:56 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVm1sNlgMQo

  11. #11
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The whole second half of Caro's Vampire SP (from 1:34 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywtl-3833c ): she realizes that the vampire has bitten her, then those little hops, the 2A and that incredible StSq begins (pay attention to that crazily difficult little jump at 2:20!)
    I hadn't seen that one before, thanks! It was awesome!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    From old performances, T&D's paso doble osp, 1984, the part when Chris strides up the ice, dragging Jayne, a fluttering cape, behind him.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA
    I always preferred this osp to the Bolero program, not just the concept and the execution but the music (love Capriccio Espagnol!—far richer music than Bolero for my taste) and those splendid black-and-white costumes. Before YouTube I depended on retrospectives on TV to get to see it, but now I can enjoy it any time I want, and it never gets old. Definitely gooseflesh-inducing.

    The program "Missing," which Dean choreographed for the Duchesnays using music from the Andes, always gives me chills.

  13. #13
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    39
    Lots of T&D's dances give me chills. One of them is definitely Encounter. The whole dance gives me goose bumps, but those moment (4.05, 4.28, 4.42) are just ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWk5a0I1BA

  14. #14
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    654
    Lu Chen's Nagano Olympic long program is chill worthy. But her in a triple-triple at the end and her reaction to a job well done is mega chill worthy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY_RAqK-KX0

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    273
    1. Mao Asada's Sochi Freeskate is the most chill inducing for me: 1. When she hits the triple axel 2. When she cradles her arms beneath her neck and looks up smiling at the sky in the middle section after doing a sit spin. 3. The step sequence
    2. Lu Chen's Roch 2 performance Worlds 1996
    3. When Midori Ito hits the triple axel after falling on her first attempt in the 1992 Olympics LP

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •