Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    This one gave me chills today, especially the lift at 4:08.

Henna Lindholm & Ossi Kanervo, FD Finlandia Trophy 2013

I wasn't going to post it here because first I just put it down to nationalistic bias (nobody's immune, it seems ) but then they went to the kiss'n'cry and I went Marina Zueva? Had no idea. No wonder I liked the choreo. Apparently they train at Canton in the low season - wonder how they can afford it? I'm assuming they have some sponsors and get some national lottery cash as well...Ice dance is no bigger here than singles or pairs (do we have pairs even?), but I'm thinking they're wanting to make them into the next Rahkamo & Kokko...

Afair, Maurizio Margaglio was working with Zueva's students as a technical expert-and he also was working as coach with all the elite level Finnish teams. I expect that is how the connection happened.
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011779.htm

This interview with Maurizio describes his involvement with skating in Finland and Detroit.
    http://www.snowalps.com/sport/figure...re-della-danza
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-26-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Originally Posted by TMC
    This.

Is.

Everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WOO6qoEcgo
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    How have I never seen this before?

AWESOME!
    Mind blown <KA-friggin-BOOM>

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Mind blown <KA-friggin-BOOM>
    I actually got tears in my eyes watching that, thinking of how all those people from all different walks of life; nurses, bus drivers, schoolkids, police etc. took the time to practice that routine like that. This is such a cold world most of the time (I just read Ann Coulter's ideas on soccer, for example), so that video was especially wonderful to me. Made me believe for a few minutes that most people are good at heart after all!

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    I actually got tears in my eyes watching that, thinking of how all those people from all different walks of life; nurses, bus drivers, schoolkids, police etc. took the time to practice that routine like that. This is such a cold world most of the time (I just read Ann Coulter's ideas on soccer, for example), so that video was especially wonderful to me. Made me believe for a few minutes that most people are good at heart after all!
    Same here! Brilliant on so many levels and in every sense of the word.

Medalist
    Agreed. I found myself tearing up toward the end. Of course, then I had to watch Torvill and Dean's Bolero, too.

Custom Title
    I'm a dork and a sucker for the old days of skating...I LOVE watching Magic Memories on Ice, hosted by Dick and Peggy lol. I got the VHS in 1989 and the result was my picking up a strange habit and jumping like Sonja Henie (hell for my coaches to undo but made double jumps and especially single axels, oh so much easier to do! Haha, don't judge me, I was 7! Lol)

I lost my VHS over the years but here is a link to YouTube. There are 6 parts in all. Enjoy!
    http://youtu.be/Hccsen5fEFM

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Afair, Maurizio Margaglio was working with Zueva's students as a technical expert-and he also was working as coach with all the elite level Finnish teams. I expect that is how the connection happened.
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011779.htm

This interview with Maurizio describes his involvement with skating in Finland and Detroit.
    http://www.snowalps.com/sport/figure...re-della-danza
    Thank you dorispulaski!

I knew that Margaglio is the head of all of ice dance here, but was surprised by the Detroit connection. And mainly because I can imagine how expensive a choreo from Marina is, on top of travel & living expenses in Detroit. Either their parents are rich or they get way way more lottery (and other) funding than I imagined is given to our skaters - or both, obviously. Rahkamo was lucky to have wealthy parents supporting her & her partner in the early years so that when they started to get famous they received more and more sponsor money (like that embarrassing episode of Petri skating in a blouse with a "Nokia" applique..... )

Ossi, as well as our other 2 top ice dance men, have just started their national service in the army sports division in the city of Lahti. I was wondering how the logistics would work, as they all represent the Helsingfors skridskoklubb based in Helsinki. Would the partners have to move to Lahti which is a 1,5 hours drive from Helsinki for the 9-12 months of their service? Well, I just checked and lucky for all of them it turns out that the Sports div. has just moved to Santahamina which is an island in Helsinki

Too bad for me as I live near Lahti and I totally would have sneaked in at some point to watch their rehearsals

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I suspect there is a different pricing schedule for choreo/coaching when coaches and choreographers each are doing work for each other. Part of tech coaching pay may be in choreo, and vice versa. Maurizio may have negotiated a deal for Zueva choreo for Finnish dancers as part of his pay for technical expertise from Marina's school.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8