If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be? | Golden Skate

If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be?

Peaches1972

Rinkside
Just for fun…

If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be?

For me I would like to pair Johnny Weir with Sasha Cohen

I'm pretty new to this board so forgive me if this question has been asked before. I just thought it would be fun to see whom other would pair together.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Everyone keeps saying that they'd put Johnny and Sasha together, but I just don't see them being a good pairs team.

I think Mike Weiss would make a great Pairs skater. I don't know who I'd pair him with though

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Braves........great idea. Michael is a solid singles skater, plus he's got the upper body strength needed for lifts and throws.....now, who do we pair him with? Angela? 42

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I know there is a history of skaters transitioning from pairs to singles (yamiguchi & galindo)... but does the same hold true for singles skaters transitioning into pairs?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
show 42 said:
Braves........great idea. Michael is a solid singles skater, plus he's got the upper body strength needed for lifts and throws.....now, who do we pair him with? Angela? 42
How about his wife and he could throw her out of the rink???:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Longhornliz said:
I know there is a history of skaters transitioning from pairs to singles (yamiguchi & galindo)... but does the same hold true for singles skaters transitioning into pairs?
Wasn't both T & M (2004 World's Pair Gold medalists) both single skaters?

Dee

soogar

Record Breaker
Kristi and Rudi were both singles skaters. I'm not sure if you can classify their pair partnership as transitioning to singles as they competed both events at the same time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:

Kristi and Rudy were both singles skaters first, I think

Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were more successful at pairs, but they also competed as singles before they started skating together...

I'd pair Kurt Browning and Josée Chouinard... not sure if it'd have worked... but their little numbers they've done together have always been so much fun! :D

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Yikes Dee, I forgot about the wife.......Angela's programs of late have been beautifully choreographed, maybe she could insist they use her choreographer...!!!:) 42

Antilles

Medalist
Yuka Sato transitioned to pairs with her hubby, but that was in the pro world. There are lots of people who are singles skaters when their young, but switch in their teens. Older than that, I can't think of any.

Marinin did skate singles, but switched when he was beaten by a much younger Plushenko.

soogar

Record Breaker
How about Timmy Goebal and Sasha Cohen? I think Sasha and Timmy go better together than her and Johnny. Plus I think Johnny is only her shopping partner.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Oksana and Victor P or possibly Illia!!!

I would have liked to see one of those configurations for a pairs team...well not Victor and Illia, but you know what I mean.

I also agree with soogar that Tim and Sasha would look nice together, maybe they could work up to a side by side quad. JK

CB1AB2

Medalist
DIDN'T I READ THAT JENNY KIRK IS STARTING TO SKATE PAIRS TOO ?? WITH WHO ?? I DON'T KNOW ?? AM I WRONG ??

cb

I think it would be fortuitous to train skaters in both singles and paris. In ballet, there are ballet classes all week with 2 partnering classess as well as mens solos and ladies toe. A more rounded way of teaching dancing and an improvement in skating..

It would be interesting to see Kwan and Yagudin doing the Nutcracker pas de deux on ice and comparing them with Shen and Zhao. Wow!! You'll have a preference but the comparison would be something else.:rolleye:

Joe

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I agee joe!!!

When I was training so intensly in ballet I noticed a huge jump in my skill mastery once I began working consistantly on partnering classes and pas de duex skill workshops. I found that it helped me find a whole new level of my center or core that I had not been able to utilize before... you never realize how important being centered is and having a strong core untill someone has you held up over their head.

The only drawback I could see to a training orientation that stressed pairs and singles work is that it opens the door even wider to injury. I wouldnt really want a partner who wasnt fully comitted to hurling me up over his head while spinning, I would prefer to be paired with someone who was training with the intent to be a pairs skater exclusively.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CB1AB2 said:
DIDN'T I READ THAT JENNY KIRK IS STARTING TO SKATE PAIRS TOO ?? WITH WHO ?? I DON'T KNOW ?? AM I WRONG ??

cb

Fedor Andreev

and not to be mean or rude... but this is an FYI typing in all caps is the internet way of shouting... so please be aware, I don't think it'd offend anyone here, but typing in all caps can be hard to read. :)