Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be?

Custom Title
    DIDN'T I READ THAT JENNY KIRK IS STARTING TO SKATE PAIRS TOO ?? WITH WHO ?? I DON'T KNOW ?? AM I WRONG ??

cb

I think it would be fortuitous to train skaters in both singles and paris. In ballet, there are ballet classes all week with 2 partnering classess as well as mens solos and ladies toe. A more rounded way of teaching dancing and an improvement in skating..

It would be interesting to see Kwan and Yagudin doing the Nutcracker pas de deux on ice and comparing them with Shen and Zhao. Wow!! You'll have a preference but the comparison would be something else.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 04-06-2004 at 05:37 PM.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I agee joe!!!

When I was training so intensly in ballet I noticed a huge jump in my skill mastery once I began working consistantly on partnering classes and pas de duex skill workshops. I found that it helped me find a whole new level of my center or core that I had not been able to utilize before... you never realize how important being centered is and having a strong core untill someone has you held up over their head.

The only drawback I could see to a training orientation that stressed pairs and singles work is that it opens the door even wider to injury. I wouldnt really want a partner who wasnt fully comitted to hurling me up over his head while spinning, I would prefer to be paired with someone who was training with the intent to be a pairs skater exclusively.

Originally posted by CB1AB2
    DIDN'T I READ THAT JENNY KIRK IS STARTING TO SKATE PAIRS TOO ?? WITH WHO ?? I DON'T KNOW ?? AM I WRONG ??

cb
    Fedor Andreev

and not to be mean or rude... but this is an FYI typing in all caps is the internet way of shouting... so please be aware, I don't think it'd offend anyone here, but typing in all caps can be hard to read.

On the Ice
    Sasha Cohen and Brian Joubert

.........Sasha and Brian....now that would be a gorgeous and talented pair to watch......42

Rogue Leader
    I can't see Sasha and Tim. He doesn't have the lines. Sasha and Shawn Sawyer would be amazing. Has anyone ever seen him do a spiral? His almost look like Sasha's. I've never seen a guy with such flexibility.

Custom Title
    I think Tim would develop the line if he had a partner like Sasha.

I'm not sure if pairs skating would develop male skaters. It probably would work in developing the girl b/c of the throws, however a guy would have to bulk up to lift the girl over his head and I think that a heavier body takes away from the jumps. In Rudi's book, once he committed to pairs skating and bulked up, it really took away from his singles elements.

Re: Mike Weiss:
    How about his wife and he could throw her out of the rink???
    LOL! You don't know how many times I've wished to see her thrown out of the kiss'n cry area!!!

Wasn't Nicole Bobek "tinkering" with doing pairs with someone a year or so ago? Guess it never went anywhere....

Didn't Shelby Lyons skate singles as well as pairs for awhile? Does she even still skate? In pairs she was with Brian Wells.

As for pairing presently single skaters for a pairs team....hmmm...
    I'd have to agree the suggestion of Kurt with Josee sounds like a cute and entertaining pairing.

Most of the men skated either pairs or dance when they were in Intermediates or younger. Ryan Bradley skated Novice or Jr. pairs, I remember. Then as they grow they decide which discipline they prefer. John Baldwin, Jr. was a single skater for years, Philip Dulebohn has skated singles, too. Paul Wylie competed in pairs when he was young.

Rinkside

Pais

Paul Wylie started out as pairs skater, but !!!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Kurt and Tara - they did a couple of programs together. Looked great.

Go NJ Devils
    I would like to pair Tiffany Stiegler with one of the tall, elegant Euro guys, like Zoltan Toth of Hungary, or Andrejs Vlaschenko, if he could be coaxed out of retirement. Same with Tugba Karademir, who is a beautiful skater mired at the bottom of qualifying because of her lack of jumps.

I would also like to pair Stannick Jeanette, maybe with the young Italian, Valentina Marschei, who has a real show-biz personality. Miriam Manzano might be a good match for him. Nikodinov is too tall for him. I think he'd look great with Joannie Rochette, but I don't want her to give up singles

Alexei Tikhonov showed a lot of personality in the Worlds Exhibitions -- I've always loved her -- and if they could harnass a drop of that in their competitive programs, I think they could be brilliant. So I've put wishing a new partner for her on hold.

The only skaters I can think of who could match Silvio Smalun's unusual artistry are ice dancers, so I wish he'd become a dancer.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Rena Inoue was a singles skater for Japan before she and John Baldwin (who had been a singles skaters for years and years). Jenni Meno was a singles skater, not too successfully, but did make it to Nationals regularly. Calla Urbanski was out of the same mold. Kyoko Ina was a singles skater first, and finished as high as 4th or 5th in senior ladies.

I think Jason Dungien's style has improved immeasurably since working with Yuka Sato!! So definitely a great femal skater can improve the style of the guy. His sit and pair spins are definitely better than when he was skating with Yuka.

Let's see, I would like to see Stephane Lambiel do pairs. Maybe pair him up with Maniachenko. Then a 2 triple performance would be great for her.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-07-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Kristi Yamaguchi and Denis Petrov.

MM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast