Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IOC awarded to NBC the broadcast rights for the Olympic through to 2032

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Yeah, only 20 skater makes it to the LP so no need to cut it. Especially during the Olympics. The good thing with Sky Italia (they have the Olympics here) is that they have different sport channels, so the FS and Speed skating had their own channel.
    The bad thing is that it's not a public TV service, so the majority of population doesn't have a subscription.
    The U.S. broadcaster also has several channels. Often something like hockey gets wall-to-wall coverage. Alas, they don't seem to think that ice skating deserves such extensive coverage.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    The U.S. broadcaster also has several channels. Often something like hockey gets wall-to-wall coverage. Alas, they don't seem to think that ice skating deserves such extensive coverage.
    So with these channels what are they covering, full coverage I mean, during the Olympics?

Banned
    NBC's coverage is pretty awful. A big part of this problem is Costas and his constant pushing of his political opinions as facts. I don't know who even really likes this guy or who would miss him.

Most of the events I watched on BBC feeds on the Internet. The commentators they had for the events were so much better than NBC's its not even funny.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    NBC's coverage is pretty awful. A big part of this problem is Costas and his constant pushing of his political opinions as facts. I don't know who even really likes this guy or who would miss him.
    I'd be fine if they had no commentary as I'd prefer to see more of the sports. That being said, I couldn't wait for Costas' pink eye to heal with the replacements they had this year...they were horrible. I can ignore Costas' preferences political and otherwise, but I couldn't stand the insipid questions and blatant lack of knowledge of the athletes and sports displayed by almost all of the individuals they called in to replace him.

Custom Title
    Well, I enjoyed CNBC's morning coverage of figure skating and was able to see everyone who competed in the SP and then all who qualified to compete in the LP. While I found Johnny Weir to be an annoying distraction and hope he won't have the opportunity to follow in Dick Button's footsteps (perish the thought!), I was grateful to NBC for providing this extensive FS coverage. All NBC needs to do is hire better commentators (Tanith Belben, Paul Wylie, Ben Agosto, hey what about Randy Gardner for pairs? he did win a WC). IMO the commentators need to provide interesting & knowledgeable commentary and not focus attention on themselves (or their clothes, hairstyles, jeweled headbands, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakebeautiful View Post
    I'd be fine if they had no commentary as I'd prefer to see more of the sports. That being said, I couldn't wait for Costas' pink eye to heal with the replacements they had this year...they were horrible. I can ignore Costas' preferences political and otherwise, but I couldn't stand the insipid questions and blatant lack of knowledge of the athletes and sports displayed by almost all of the individuals they called in to replace him.
    I agree. Matt Lauer seemed especially ill-prepared. It must be hard to be thrown into the job at the last moment. At least Bob Costas has months to prepare for the gig.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree. Matt Lauer seemed especially ill-prepared. It must be hard to be thrown into the job at the last moment. At least Bob Costas has months to prepare for the gig.
    Yes! And they all talked about how Bob Costas lives for an Olympic cycle to roll around because he loves them, which with all of the knowledge he has stored up from way back I'm inclined to believe... If I have to listen to commentary and/or a night show, then I definitely prefer him over those that are ill-equipped and don't care/know enough to ask more interesting/deeper questions than the ones that are always asked on every morning show.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2