The European Ladies | Golden Skate

The European Ladies

When you look them over carefully, one sees a modicum to an abundant amount of talent. Yet, somehow they let the americans take over and now the Japanese have taken over. Will we see a European (other than Russian) on the Podium?

Britain - Jenna McCokel - Very nice but so faluty.
France - forgot her name - really, nothing special
Switzerland - Sarah Meier - Very nice but faulty
Italy - Carolina Kostner = So much but can't hold it together
Hungary - Julia Sebastyen - very solid but needs to up the tech.
and then there's Pavuk if Hungary get w2 places.
Finland - Suzana Poykio - Best of the lot, imo. She should be in the top grouping in Moscow.
Ukraine - I, personally, would like to see more of Maniachenko than Liashenko.
(and in Australia - I know it's not Europe - a gal named Manzano who should be moving up in the groupings.)

Will any of these gals make it to the top 6? Will any of them reach podium in Moscow?

Remember Just musing No predicting.

Joe

Joe

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, barring injury, Carolina Kostner will make her way onto the podium in events leading up to the next olympics... and with her home team advantage there, who knows. Maybe even a bronze?

lulu

Final Flight
As someone said in another thread-I think it was from this board:p Carolina is the "hot-cold" girl. One moment, she gives a superb performance with 3-3, no cheats, good edging, beautiful artistry. Another moment, she gives a performance with falls, and just sort of 'lack luster' performance.

IMO she is the most promising of all of the ladies mentioned, and her speed on the ice is to be commened. However, in order to become a major force she is going to need more consistancy.

I think the French skater you're thinking of in Anne-Sophie Calvez:) I've never seen her skate, but I've heard she has improved since last year.

I adore Galina Maniachenko's skating, I hope she can stay injury free next season.

If Carolina has a good performance, I can see her certainly see her in the top grouping at Moscow. I can also see Julia in the top group as well.

shine

Record Breaker
I think Maniachenko is the best overall European lady, from posture to stroking, from carriage to power, and not to mention her unique programs and musicality. Her Madame Claude LP and Schindler's List SP are two of my favorite programs. She's champion material in every sense and definitely a worthy contender for world medal. I just wish she was much more consistent than she has been :cry:
Susanna Poykio is another quality, quality skater. One of the best in the world IMO. In the past, consistency has not been her thing. She just started to gain some this season. However, she was really undermarked at Worlds this year after skating an almost mistakeless freeprogram :\
Julia Lautowa is another European lady whom I love. I will always remember the 15-year-old little girl skating to Bye bye love and Kalinka. She used to be the "next one" circa 1997; she has so much speed and power across the ice. Her programs are always interesting and her loop is a thing of beauty. But since then consistency has left her forever. :(
Carolina Kostner has to have some of the best basics I've EVER seen, and the speed and edging on her spiral is just out of this world. But her presentation at this point still leaves a lot to be desired. But she has a very refreshing look and I like her.
Liashenko and Sokolova are thought to be medal contenders, for reasons foreign to me. They just don't have the kind of quality skating that makes one champion material. Liashenko does some elements very well (camel spin) and uses her arms beautifully, but her strange stroking and telegraphing are really distracting to the otherwise wonderful program; Sokolova has charisma, and really sells her program when she's on. But when she's not, all her weaknesses show up: so-so line, heavy movement, choppy stroking, and lack of choreography.
Sebastyen is a good skater- no real weakesses, but nothing really impressive either (well, besides her huge toe jumps). Doesn't have the sharpness or sensitivity of the top skaters.

Last edited:

Koroleva

On the Ice
I vote for the Ukrainian ladies. Liashenko has experience and well rounded, well choreographed programs. Some people have a problem with her telegraphing but at least she does true jumps instead of flutzing and all. Maniachenko is a great skater, and she has it all except for that she's a wild card. So I would think that Liashenko would make the top 6 before Liashenko. Those are my favorite European ladies.

Poykio is a Kwan clone. I think Kostner has a long way to go. Her 5th at Worlds was a huge gift. Sebestyen has gone down hill in my opinion, she has no choreo anymore... thank you Morosov... and her win at Euros was clearly a gift IMO.

Sokolova is in the other thread shine. ;)

Thanks for starting a Euro ladies thread! :)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think the French skater you're thinking of in Anne-Sophie Calvez I've never seen her skate, but I've heard she has improved since last year.
She improved tremendously from last year.

Just some random thoughs.

Meier and Poikio are my 2 favs and I hope that they can do better in the future. If not, I'll just have to be content with enjoying their performances.

Poikio may have the whole "Vertigo" thing going on with Kwan, but I still think she has interesting music choices and nice musical quality. I thought it was mean to put her 11th at this past worlds. Just one spot up and she could have gotten a second skater. Russia only needed one in top 10, not 2. This is one situation where I would have had no problem with being poltical. I like Ketuin (sp?) as well, although she's not as strong. Drei gets on my nerves.

Speaking of "on my nerves", sorry all, but absolutely everything about Galina rubs me the wrong way. Best in Europe? I guess I'm just not educated enough. I just can't get past the awful music, the hideous costumes, the seemingly constant falls, the detached bored feeling of someone not even interested in being there, never mind connecting with the audience. Europe's best fridge break in my book, good edging or not.

Lautowa IMHO should be discussed under the "Russian ladies" thread. Poor Austria, once such a powerhouse, now look at them. An over the hill foreigner who can't even qualify for the LP. So sad.

The Italians have some nice second string skaters as well, more in the line of Sylvia rather than Carolina (speaking of having to import champs). They were plaesantly feisty, if technically unsound.

The Germans seemed excited about that Annette gal.

I though that Zuzana Babiwhatever was interesting this year.

I really fell in love with Sara Falotico's SP this year. Too bad she's just not all that good.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I thought Poykio should have been ahead of Kostner in the FS, but then I also think Sebestyen, Rochette and Sokolova should have been ahead of Kostner, too. That still wouldn't have put Susanna in 10th, but it would have moved Sebestyen and Suguri into the top 6, and Rochette to 7th.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I thought that Poykio should have been second in her qualifying group. Poykio missed an element (double instead of triple), as did Volchkova, who placed four places above her, when Sokolova, Slutskaya, and Liashenko made mulitiple errors in their programs. The SP was the real dis to Poykio, even more than her LP placement.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Britain - Jenna McCokel - Very nice but so faluty.
McCorkell has never been known for her consistency, but one of the British contingent told us that she spoke to the British team leader, and was told that McCorkell's boots broke down at Jr. Worlds, and she was wearing new boots at Worlds. (She didn't look quite over her blades, so that could explain it.) Also, according to the TL, puberty has hit.

It will be interesting to see her next year. She still has a couple of more years of Jr. eligibility.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Maniachenko! She probably as more choreography than the entire US Ladies team combined. I think that is where her problem lies. She always has such difficult programs, but never gets the content out. She also doesn't have consistent jumps :(. It's gotten to the point where she'll do a 2 triple program, and it's so normal. I think she is very underrated though for clean short programs. She should be placing top 6 at worlds with her clean SPs IMO. She has great spins, footwork, and jumps. She has the choreo and transition to boot.

Liashenko, I like her in that she has great programs too. Her telgraphing can be awkward, as is her huge lip which has no hint in inside edge.

Am I the only one who is utterly bored with Pavuk? She was nothing more than a jumping bean (and a poor one at that) at Euros to me.

TV