Grace Gold - too princessy? | Golden Skate

Grace Gold - too princessy?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I really liked Golds original SP last year. It was fast, very difficult and quirky-it scored well. Frank takes over and Grace skates two princess programs, beautiful but cookie cutter as has been said. What direction will he take her? Can princess be a mistake in packaging? She is a fabulous athlete-shouldn't Frank show off her power in the tech program? Versatility is great and Gold has proven she can skate to any music....thoughts?

VirMo

On the Ice
I think at the moment (at least till the last season) Gracie was in no position to take chances and I think it was a good strategy that she played by her strengths. As her expressions and techniques get more stable and mature, she definitely should go for more mature programs (as long as they suit her style though). Last time I saw her, she was still not there yet. It varies from skaters to skaters though - I think Mao's coach mentioned that Mao reached the stage of maturity where she was fully in control of what emotion she was acting out only a few years ago.

Honestly I don't see so far from any of the rising stars that match the versatility (in terms of acting ability) of Yuna Kim and Michelle Kwan. Having a strong, coherent program with a story is no longer important under IJS though - you can just fit in as many irrelevant movements to show off your technical skills to dazzle people and score high (aka Adelina's 13-14 LP), so I don't know what will be good for Gracie yet.

BlackPack

Medalist
Yes, we should have more Gracie threads so that skyfly can have a seizure and then we'd be rid of her since for some reason she can't be banned:p

Alba

Record Breaker
I really liked Golds original SP last year. It was fast, very difficult and quirky-it scored well. Frank takes over and Grace skates two princess programs, beautiful but cookie cutter as has been said. What direction will he take her? Can princess be a mistake in packaging? She is a fabulous athlete-shouldn't Frank show off her power in the tech program? Versatility is great and Gold has proven she can skate to any music....thoughts?

Yes to all your question marks. However I like Gracie, in fact I like all USA girls this time around.

Maybe it was good for her to this way for now, to establish herself and show to the judges her lines and artistry.
I also think that The Sleeping Beauty for example was meant for Sochi and audience appeal. So I don't think it was a bad choice.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't think Gracie's new packaging is too princessy. It is somewhat a cookie-cutter ice princess look but one with sophistication and it works on Gracie.

Last season's programs were fantastic. I think she was undermarked in Sochi in the team event. Certainly, she should have been closer to Lipnitskaia in her scores in the Team event. She is a rising star.

VirMo

On the Ice
I don't think Gracie's new packaging is too princessy. It is somewhat a cookie-cutter ice princess look but one with sophistication and it works on Gracie.

Last season's programs were fantastic. I think she was undermarked in Sochi in the team event. Certainly, she should have been closer to Lipnitskaia in her scores in the Team event. She is a rising star.

Agreed. Gracie had a more complex and dramatic LP than Lipnitskaia. But I preferred Gershwin SP than the new Piano Concerto program. I think she would have scored higher in PCS had she stuck with Gershwin at Sochi.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I think Gracie is quite versatile, and can already, or will yet, perform to multiple genres without any difficulties. The style they chose for her this last season fits her current skills/expression perfectly IMO.
Myself, I won't even complain if she keeps the 'ice princess' image permanently (which I doubt). ;) I cannot think of any other (contemporary) singles skater who would fit that category, so for me Gold would still be unique.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gracie has that very princessy look. She can't help that and in some ways it's not a bad idea to play on it. (Wonder how many little girls will bug their parents to buy them tickets so they can go see "Queen Elsa"?)

I think she's very elegant and sophisticated and I really loved her LP dress this year - classy and understated. (They need to watch that bustline though. She seemed perilously close to a nipslip a few times.)

She's young, pretty, with a lovely smile, but she's also a powerhouse athlete. I'm quite sure that the overall look this season came from the last-minute change of program. Nothing wrong with her packaging to me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are you talking about The Sleeping Beauty? :rolleye: And more complex in what?

For a Princess who'd been cursed to sleep, Gracie showed a ton more emotional expression and range than Lipnitskaya did.

Alba

Record Breaker
For a Princess who'd been cursed to sleep, Gracie showed a ton more emotional expression and range than Lipnitskaya did.

Really? Smiling like she is in a ballroom with her prince? Is that what you call dramatic?
I'm fine with her expression and interpretation, because I don't think she was meant to be "dramatic" but since the other user, to whom I replied, said her program was more dramatic than Yulia, and more complex, I would like to know how is that more dramatic and complex as a program?

I really like Gracie and I fully agree with BlackPack, she should have been closer to Yulia - or maybe Yulia was overmarked, it depends how you see this - but there is no need to diminish other skaters to back that opinion just because you don't like them or their intepretation.

Is it so difficult to discuss about a skater without whinning about others?

VirMo

On the Ice
Really? Smiling like she is in a ballroom with her prince? Is that what you call dramatic?
I'm fine with her expression and interpretation, because I don't think she was meant to be "dramatic" but since the other user, to whom I replied, said her program was more dramatic than Yulia, and more complex, I would like to know how is that more dramatic and complex as a program?

I really like Gracie and I fully agree with BlackPack, she should have been closer to Yulia - or maybe Yulia was overmarked, it depends how you see this - but there is no need to diminish other skaters to back that opinion just because you don't like them or their intepretation.

Is it so difficult to discuss about a skater without whinning about others?

I think Gracie WAS supposed to be more dramatic to suit the music better (the music is pretty dramatic and you can't disagree with this). I only alluded to the program, not delivery. I wasn't trying to undermine anyone (although the other posters may have carried the tone), unless you think all skaters should be dramatic (which is obviously untrue).

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Gracie WAS supposed to be more dramatic to suit the music better (the music is pretty dramatic and you can't disagree with this).

If she was supposed to do that, than she "failed", but I don't think so.
The music is dramatic for about 55 seconds at the beginning. In fact is in the prologue of the ballet and she was making an introduction to the story. The rest is lighter and fairy, it's a wonder and dreamy.
From the middle of her program till the end she is skating to the music where the princess is dancing at her birthday party.
It's the famous Rose Adagio , when she is dancing with her 4 suitor who have come from 4 different continents.
She (the music as well) is portraying her youth, beauty and aspiration of love, not some drama.
She is the Rose, and I think she did a very good job indeed.

I only alluded to the program, not delivery.

I know you were talking about the program, and indeed I asked you about the program not delivery.
The comment about her expressions was stared by karne not by me. As I said, I'm fine with her delivery, but I can't see how her program can be more dramatic, based both on the music and the subject.

I wasn't trying to undermine anyone (although the other posters may have carried the tone),

Precisely that. :thumbsup:
I know you were not trying to undermine anyone.

unless you think all skaters should be dramatic (which is obviously untrue)

Aboslutely not, on the contrary.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't say that Gracie was more dramatic than Lipnitskaya. I said that she had a better emotional expression and range than Lipnitskaya which is perfectly true.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I liked this year's programs, but I think if they stay with this type of program, it may get stagnant. I hope Frank creatively pushes Gracie.

desertskates

Medalist
I think she's very elegant and sophisticated and I really loved her LP dress this year - classy and understated. (They need to watch that bustline though. She seemed perilously close to a nipslip a few times.)

I noticed that about the dress, too. It's so beautiful, but another inch or two higher on the top would have been a good thing.
As far as "too princess-y" goes, this year was a bit prissy for my taste. But, maybe it's was just for the Russian audiences. Too me, it came off as a little cold and one note. I hope they mix it up next year and push her to explore which direction she truly feels the most comfortable going.

concorde

Medalist
I loved Gracie's SP red dress; was not excited about her LP blue dress.

I'm not sure where the "princess" thing is from. I never sensed it until I started reading the posting on this forum.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly i don't think Frank knows of any other kind of style other then the pretty princess type. He's a bit old fashioned and stuck in the 1950's when it comes to image and Lori likes that style too. I don't think Frank has ever had a female skater that's a powerhouse when it comes to jumps like Gracie.