Grace Gold - too princessy? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grace Gold - too princessy?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^ Hopefully she immediately told him off-camera that it was unlikely she could/would go. As much as I disliked that she was put on the spot, I hate it when girls lead guys on/stand them up. It's not that hard to just say no...

But in this case, Gracie was in a total lose-lose situation. She couldn't say no, or she'd have been treated as an evil heartless b*tch for doing that to a poor sweet kid on live national television. She didn't want to say yes, but she was put in a situation where she pretty much had no choice. Which is why I hate it so much and think the guy's a real douchebag.

She turned him down, but all I remember is thinking that kid had guts :laugh:

Yes, but I'll bet Kournikova got some serious flack for it.

Gracie may look powerful with her speed and big jumps
but because of her beauty type and her being quintessential blonde hollywood look they suit Gracie ideally for the Princess look
Gracie looks so much like Grace Kelly, wonder if her mother had something to do with naming her Gracie because of Grace Kelly ?

You are the sort of person Gracie needs a restraining order against. No. Just no.

As an aside, I know Jason Brown also got a few prom invites, and planned on going with everyone who had asked him at that stage. Whether this happened or not I don't know. Either way, I know he mustn't have accepted all the invites...because hell hath no fury like an entitled brat teenage girl on twitter who has been scorned. Honey, tweeting at Jason in such an aggressive manner every day about coming to your prom is really not going to make him want to go to your prom...

flutzy13

On the Ice
you never know ;)

also the haters here coming out in full force using this thread is getting old
I guess Beauty is indeed threatening

I think by the time Pyeongchang rolls around a grown up Edmunds will be much more striking and ethereal than Gracie. And Gracie's generically pretty for sure but I hope Frank and lori find a better hair colorist. Her roots are distracting.

I'm glad she got out of prom though after Extra put her in such an awkward spot

Alba

Record Breaker
I can see Irina doing one if she tried hard enough.

I congratulate you for your wild imagination. :sarcasm:
She did worked and tried hard. In fact she did improved a lot, but you just can't have beautiful lines when you don't have the body as well to support you.
There is a reason why they choose certain types for ballerina since they are children. Besides, certain things either you have it or you don't, and it should be natural like Natalia Mishkutenok. It's not something they can teach you.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think by the time Pyeongchang rolls around a grown up Edmunds will be much more striking and ethereal than Gracie. And Gracie's generically pretty for sure but I hope Frank and lori find a better hair colorist. Her roots are distracting.

I'm glad she got out of prom though after Extra put her in such an awkward spot

Yes, she has a date with sky_fly20 to get to, ya know!

Crystallize

On the Ice
I congratulate you for your wild imagination. :sarcasm:
She did worked and tried hard. In fact she did improved a lot, but you just can't have beautiful lines when you don't have the body as well to support you.

And what exactly is the body you need to have beautiful lines? Do you mean that there is a specific body type?

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Gracie clearly has some inherent technical talent as happens with skaters that are gifted with certain body proportions/stamina/flexibility. It's a great edge to have, especially when you're competing against skaters like Ashley Wagner or any of the myriad of lower-ranked skaters who work their butts off but just don't have the physical attributes that allow them to move effortlessly across the ice the way the top top girls do.

The problem is, Gracie doesn't seem to be a natural performer the way that the best girls are. She can appropriate certain moves that make her appear a certain way (elegant, regal, sexy, whatever) but unfortunately it just looks a bit affected. I don't know that changing her choreography and style of music can really mask the artistic deficiencies of someone who isn't inherently a gifted interpreter of music.

That said, I do believe she can improve. I just don't think she'll ever be a Yuna, Mao, Carolina or Michelle.

It's strange. Adelina Sotnikova is a rather ugly skater in comparison with Gracie. Her landing positions are not pretty, she runs through her choreography like she's on crack and she definitely does not exude class or elegance. But in a weird way she is a better skater than Gracie because she does seem to feel the emotion of her music. She may make it look horrid on the ice, but underneath all that ugly skating you can tell she sort of gets the music. Doesn't mean she's actually a great skater..she's definitely not...but just comparing her with Gracie, you have two girls of the same age who really represent opposite poles of the skating spectrum.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know, gettinglow. Yulia Lipnitskaya can't hear or feel the music either and people seem to love her, but I'd still rather watch Gracie. At least I can be confident that Gracie isn't about to lose all her jumps.

I think Gracie is probably in that transition period where she's trying to find an identity for herself in skating. That's all right. We'll see what happens. And at least she tries.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yulia Lipnitskaya can't hear or feel the music either and people seem to love her, b.

Because you always forget that Yulia "can't hear or feel the music" for you. It's what you feel, think and see.
People are not the same, so others, like me, thinks she is gorgeous who can feel, hear and interpret the music.
This is how this sports works. Some skaters will give you and some not. ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
And what exactly is the body you need to have beautiful lines? Do you mean that there is a specific body type?

Michelle Kwan, Yuna Kim, Carolina etc., the list can goes on, all have good body lines for a skater. A good spiral made by one of these skaters will always look more beautiful than one made by someone like Irina or Tonya harding, no matter how proper technically that spiral is made by the later skaters. Irina, which by the way I loved, was playing at her strength and rightly so.
She could have never been a Kwan, Mao or Yuna. Never.

Crystallize

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan, Yuna Kim, Carolina etc., the list can go on, all have good body lines for a skater. A good spiral made by one of these skaters will always look more beautiful than one made by someone like Irina or Tonya harding, no matter how proper technically that spiral is made by the later skaters. Irina, which by the way I loved, was playing at her strength and rightly so.
She could neve have been a Kwan, Mao or Yuna. Never.

Well perhaps those skaters have good body lines to you. Maybe others have a different idea. After all, people are not the same. ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
Well perhaps those skaters have good body lines to you. Maybe others have a different idea. After all, people are not the same. ;)

I'm not speaking about interpetation or feelings here. This is about something which is very objective, it is not about being ugly or beautiful, or what I think is ugly or beautiful. It is about having certain body lines, and you can see that. It's not about what I see.
Irina was not able to do certain things not because she didn't try, as the user to which I replied suggested. She tried very hard and she did improve a lot. She just couldn't be in the same league as Kwan, in that particular sector.
Also, do not forget that not all skaters are balletic, or "classical", if you prefer. No matter the lines there is also the style we should consider.

As for specific body types about ballerinas for example here is an interesting docu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCTdkJ3kjo

Meoima

Match Penalty
I assume no curves or little curves also means beautiful body lines, someone working at opera house told me that. :confused: I am not sure if she's right, though.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I honestly just don't feel comfortable judging someone as not being in the same league as a figure skater over something they can't control. But maybe you know a lot more than I do what the, I guess, correct body lines are.

Alba

Record Breaker
I honestly just don't feel comfortable judging someone as not being in the same league as a figure skater over something they can't control.

I think you misunderstood my first comment then because that is precisely what I was saying in my first comment about this.
They can not control that, no matter how hard you can work. Skaters are different and thanks god for that. :)
Each play to their own strength. I loved both Kwan and Irina for example. I don't watch or like just one type of skater.

Alba

Record Breaker
I assume no curves or little curves also means beautiful body lines, someone working at opera house told me that. :confused: I am not sure if she's right, though.

Yes, that too. :thumbsup:
I dance very well, but I could've never been a ballerina myself and I adore ballet. I'm curvy. :biggrin:
Although who knows, at the age you start you are still very young, little girl, so you can work on it. Not all ballerinas are born with a ballet body type like: long neck, long lean legs, normal-long torso, flat chest, thin hips, lean arms etc.etc.