Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Grace Gold - too princessy?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Wow, you think so??? Ok...

Hmm. Only if because Gold will be in the position of defending her title and will likely leave the door open...
    I think Polina does trump Gold in terms of connecting with the audience in her SP particularly. Gold doesn't connect with the audience in either program very much, IMO. Gold does however connect with her music better than Polina does in her FS. I love Edmunds' connection with her music in her SP though, particularly some of her twizzles that go with the music. I actually hadn't realized how complex her SP was until I re-watched it a few times. If she were a more popular skater, she should have cracked top 5, IMO.

Custom Title
    The issue here with Gold is that it appears (to me) that she is trying really hard to be something she is not. If she could pull off "princessy", well, fine. This thread then wouldn't exist. But her skating style to me is more of a power skater, a "look at what I can do" type of skater. She needs a vehicle that allows her to showcase that and last season's programs failed bug time in that regard. However, at the end of the day, she'll get points as long as she lands her jumps. That should be top priority...getting comfortable enough so she doesn't fall apart when a medal is within her grasp. I know, easier said than done.
    I mostly agree with you. The problem is, pulling off "power skater" is a big risk. One has to nail the technical elements and skate with conviction. If she misses the jumps and doesn't have a safe, conservative program to fall back on, she hasn't much to offer.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Wow, you think so??? Ok...
    110%, I do think so. Polina's SP was energetic and fun and she brought that energy to her performance. As for the FS, Polina has more natural flow and grace in her movements than Gracie, so that gives her the upper hand when it comes to pulling off that kind of music. The program wasn't all that great but her delivery of it and connection to her music/choreography was lovely. There was nothing forced or pageant-like about Polina's FS. It all seemed very natural and flowed easily. I can't say the same for Gracie's FS...it was a horrible choice of music for her style of skating. They did what they could with it but I still think that program was a big dud. She connected better in her SP though so at least there's that.

Gracie tends to connect w/ the audience in her exhibition programs very well, but exhibitions and competitions can't be compared side by side. She has it in her somewhere; they just need to find the right vehicle for her.

Hmm. Only if because Gold will be in the position of defending her title and will likely leave the door open...
    Well that's always a possibility. I was speaking more in terms of if Polina has a stellar season on the GP that will give her momentum coming into nationals. If Gracie succumbs to the defending jitters, Polina does have enough firepower to capitalize on that and possibly sneak in for the title. A lot of that will be dependent on whether or not Gracie has a good GP season. She's due for one at this point. Her first two have been sub par for someone with her talent. She's much more put together now so this next season is definitely her season but it won't be a cakewalk. There is plenty of competition coming from all sides so she's going to have to really step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post

I have a Tibetan terrier puppy
    That's T-E-R-R-O-R, not T-E-R-R-I-E-R according to the lady in my dog agility class who owns one.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    I must be the only one who thinks the high ballet bun is cute and I think she pulls off the red lipstick okay. Didn't anyone notice Ashley with the high bun and red lips as well?
    I did notice the same about Ashley. I think her bun doesn't bug me as much because it pulled up a little more softly and isn't perfectly doughnut shaped. And I don't like the lipstick of either girl. The funny thing is, I never noticed the matte red on either of them before. And now they have Cover Girl contracts. I wonder if there is some connection there?

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    That's T-E-R-R-O-R, not T-E-R-R-I-E-R according to the lady in my dog agility class who owns one.
    I know! As a novice dog owner I went for a wire hair fox terrier. Every time I consulted with the experts, saying "My crazy dog does this and he won't do that", the response was always, "Well, he is a terrier."

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I know! As a novice dog owner I went for a wire hair fox terrier. Every time I consulted with the experts, saying "My crazy dog does this and he won't do that", the response was always, "Well, he is a terrier."
    You betcha! One of my cousins and his wife used to breed Westies (show quality -- Westminster and everything ). Their favorite line was, "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the terrier way."

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    OMG! You scared me! Pepe is only 9 weeks old.. I read good things about the Tibetan terrier, only.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Terrier

Despite its name, it is not a member of the terrier group. Thank God!!

Custom Title
    Right now I think Polina is all arms and legs.....and she needs to ditch those silly braids she wears in competition. But then - she's young. I think a lot of what's being discussed here is based on last season and not whatever reality will come with next season. Gracie will have been with Frank for over a year and Polina will have another year of her age. In the meantime, it's really kind of inane to discuss hairstyles, costumes, music....it's going to change.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    This thread has no clear direction. It's like ghost riding a bike. The handle bars just randomly go where they want to. Eventually the bike is going to have to hit a trash can or something.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    OMG! You scared me! Pepe is only 9 weeks old.. I read good things about the Tibetan terrier, only.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Terrier
    Well if that's what he/she is going to look like, then he/she will be one handsome/pretty dog!

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Tend to agree that the thread doesn't really have a clear direction.

Still, all the doggie talk started b/c of a couple of posts a few days ago re: Julia's & Gracie's dogs. So it's still sorta kinda on topic although possibly headed for the outer limits.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Wow, no kidding? Yours truly is now turning pea green w/ envy. Really. Pea green. Per one of my earlier posts, I'm a total pushover for both dogs and cats and just about any other kind of critter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakebeautiful View Post
    Well if that's what he/she is going to look like, then he/she will be one handsome/pretty dog!

Pepe is "he" and he has stolen my heart already..

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    So it's still sorta kinda on topic although possibly headed for the outer limits.
    True... Also on the erm outer limits, is Gracie's twin sister, Carly, still going to continue skating competitively? Does anyone know?

The only issue I have with Gracie's look is that she just needs to make sure her dresses cover her chest without close calls...just bring the fabric up a little higher and then start the illusion fabric if she wants... Otherwise, I think once she's really feeling more confident and consistent in skating competitions, she'll blossom and be able to portray exactly what she wants. She just needs some more experience and opportunities to learn how to connect to the audience. I feel like her coldness partly comes from nerves...As someone who can come off as snobby or as my sister dubbed me years ago - "the ice princess," I think she may just need to get more comfortable with her position now.

plushyfan I bet!! I can't imagine how cute he must be as a puppy right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    It does though because it does have to do with body lines as well. Can you see Irina or Harding doing a Swan lake, no matter how hard they could try?
    I can see Irina doing one if she tried hard enough.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast