Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Grace Gold - too princessy?

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    Well perhaps those skaters have good body lines to you. Maybe others have a different idea. After all, people are not the same.
    I'm not speaking about interpetation or feelings here. This is about something which is very objective, it is not about being ugly or beautiful, or what I think is ugly or beautiful. It is about having certain body lines, and you can see that. It's not about what I see.
    Irina was not able to do certain things not because she didn't try, as the user to which I replied suggested. She tried very hard and she did improve a lot. She just couldn't be in the same league as Kwan, in that particular sector.
    Also, do not forget that not all skaters are balletic, or "classical", if you prefer. No matter the lines there is also the style we should consider.

As for specific body types about ballerinas for example here is an interesting docu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCTdkJ3kjo

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    I assume no curves or little curves also means beautiful body lines, someone working at opera house told me that. I am not sure if she's right, though.

Custom Title
    I honestly just don't feel comfortable judging someone as not being in the same league as a figure skater over something they can't control. But maybe you know a lot more than I do what the, I guess, correct body lines are.

I honestly just don't feel comfortable judging someone as not being in the same league as a figure skater over something they can't control.
    I think you misunderstood my first comment then because that is precisely what I was saying in my first comment about this.
    They can not control that, no matter how hard you can work. Skaters are different and thanks god for that.
    Each play to their own strength. I loved both Kwan and Irina for example. I don't watch or like just one type of skater.

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I assume no curves or little curves also means beautiful body lines, someone working at opera house told me that. I am not sure if she's right, though.
    Yes, that too.
    I dance very well, but I could've never been a ballerina myself and I adore ballet. I'm curvy.
    Although who knows, at the age you start you are still very young, little girl, so you can work on it. Not all ballerinas are born with a ballet body type like: long neck, long lean legs, normal-long torso, flat chest, thin hips, lean arms etc.etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I think you misunderstood my first comment then because that is precisely what I was saying in my first comment about this.
    They can not control that, no matter how hard you can work. Skaters are different and thanks god for that.
    Each play to their own strength. I loved both Kwan and Irina for example. I don't watch or like just one type of skater.
    Oh, no. I understood what you were saying. Loud and clear.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, it's true.

Oh, no. I understood what you were saying. Loud and clear.
    Not really. Otherwise you would not say that I'm judging the skaters "over something they can't control", when I'm saying the opposite.

Custom Title
    I'm with Alba on this, to some extent. It's simply much harder (I'll stop short of saying impossible) for someone with Irina's figure to make the same lines as Kwan. For Irina, it'll probably be better to find her own style and play to her own strengths rather than attempting to be a ballerina. This doesn't mean she can't be a good performer--whether she became that is subjective.

Also, this doesn't only apply to girls. Elvis Stojko couldn't skate Alexei Urmanov's programs no matter how hard he tried--and thank God he didn't try, instead going with his own style. Whether you find that style appealing, or whether the judges rewarded that style enough or too much... that's something we can debate.

@Meoima
    I think the curves thing is a different matter, at least for skaters. Female skaters tend to have little curves 'cause that's usually the body type that makes better jumps. Simple as that. At least, I don't think lines are just about curves. Proportions matter even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I'm with Alba on this, to some extent. It's simply much harder (I'll stop short of saying impossible) for someone with Irina's figure to make the same lines as Kwan. For Irina, it'll probably be better to find her own style and play to her own strengths rather than attempting to be a ballerina. This doesn't mean she can't be a good performer--whether she became that is subjective.
    Absolutely, and for me she was great. I honestly hated Bezic, and even Button, when they so often were criticising Irina about that.

Also, this doesn't only apply to girls. Elvis Stojko couldn't skate Alexei Urmanov's programs no matter how hard he tried--and thank God he didn't try, instead going with his own style. Whether you find that style appealing, or whether the judges rewarded that style enough or too much... that's something we can debate.
    Fantastic example. I totally forgot about men and you probably brought the best example. Skaters should skate to their own strength.

@Meoima
    I think the curves thing is a different matter, at least for skaters. Female skaters tend to have little curves 'cause that's usually the body type that makes better jumps. Simple as that. At least, I don't think lines are just about curves. Proportions matter even more.
    No Meoima was speaking about ballerinas in this case, I think. Obviously skaters don't have to be, and should not be, the same. There are some requirments which are similar though, for certain things in skating.

Custom Title
    Not really. Otherwise you would not say that I'm judging the skaters "over something they can't control", when I'm saying the opposite.
    Lmao. okay then. Irina may not have not have had the same style or certain body lines, but I feel like she tried. And if somebody thinks that if Irina trying harder would have made it possible, then what does it matter? It doesn't have to be someone's "wild imagination."

Lmao. okay then. Irina may not have not have had the same style or certain body lines, but I feel like she tried.
    Thats what I said. She also improved. So you can LMAO as much as you want.

And if somebody thinks that if Irina trying harder would have made it possible, then what does it matter? It doesn't have to be someone's "wild imagination."
    I was being ironic with the user, who was implying that she didn't try harder and that's why she couldn't. Let the other user complain about it, if my comment was offensive towards her/him.

Anyway, whether you like it or not some things are just the way they are. It's not about being politically correct or a matter of opinion here.
    Not being a "swan" type it's not a handicap at all, IMO at least, but if you want to see "the swan" in all skaters that's fine with me also.

Cheers.

Custom Title
    Most people wouldn't say Kwan was balletic either. At peak form she was very slim but also muscular. I still think her skating was at its most beautiful when she was at her thinnest (2001, although in 1997 she seemed to have less broad shoulders and less muscular legs?).

Nowadays Kwan is still extremely fit/muscular but you can see that she looks much bigger now compared to her competitive days. On such a small frame even 5 pounds makes a huge difference.

I remember someone on here once claiming that Kwan had a "stocky" body type even during her youth, which I find hilarious..how could anyone with eyes call this stocky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjG2cXkpm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Owv8PrpA4

You know, Kwan didn't have long legs but I liked that she had some feminine curves

Custom Title
    Thats what I said. She also improved. So you can LMAO as much as you want.

I was being ironic with the user, who was implying that she didn't try harder and that's why she couldn't. Let the other user complain about it, if my comment was offensive towards her/him.

Anyway, whether you like it or not some things are just the way they are. It's not about being politically correct or a matter of opinion here.
    Not being a "swan" type it's not a handicap at all, IMO at least, but if you want to see "the swan" in all skaters that's fine with me also.

Cheers.
    I've laughed too hard already. You made the comment first about Irina not being capable because of her lack of good body lines. And I don't think I ever stated that Irina was the balletic type. I was just wondering why her body lines weren't considered good. Good body lines = balletic? With that being said, I feel like Irina could have taken Swan Lake and made it her own. It's really not that impossible. But you're the expert.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    Most people wouldn't say Kwan was balletic either. At peak form she was very slim but also muscular. I still think her skating was at its most beautiful when she was at her thinnest (2001, although in 1997 she seemed to have less broad shoulders and less muscular legs?).

Nowadays Kwan is still extremely fit/muscular but you can see that she looks much bigger now compared to her competitive days. On such a small frame even 5 pounds makes a huge difference.

I remember someone on here once claiming that Kwan had a "stocky" body type even during her youth, which I find hilarious..how could anyone with eyes call this stocky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjG2cXkpm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Owv8PrpA4

You know, Kwan didn't have long legs but I liked that she had some feminine curves
    I don't think I ever saw Kwan as being balletic. The same goes for Yuna Kim. That's no insult though. They're quite athletic anyway and among the best ever. Then again, I'm not so sure what could be considered balletic. Does it really just mean being slim with hardly any muscle?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast