Grace Gold - too princessy? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grace Gold - too princessy?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If she and her team are most comfortable with that style, they're entitled to keep it. It does nothing for me personally, but I don't think any skater's style is universally liked.

But I think a (wanna-be) princess ought to still have a genuine personality and not come off like a robot...that part she needs to work on more.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I find Gracie a bit too (though I hate to go all Simon Cowell)... "pageanty." Everything, from her image to her skating, comes across as a bit fake to me. I didn't understand why she was hyped as a gold medal contender in Sochi (well, it's because the US desperately needs a female star, I know...). Her fourth place finish is more a testament to how hard Mao and Yulia bombed, imo.

I don't have a problem with nice girls--far from it. But whereas, say, Michelle came across as down-to-earth and genuine, Gracie feels very manufactured to me. Like they're trying to mould her to fit the classic "ice princess" image instead of letting her just be. This is accentuated by how her teammate Ashley is the exact opposite: all grit and honesty and raw power, which I personally find more appealing even if Ashley's chances in the future look less bright. I'm not saying Gracie is fake--just that, so far, her packaging and performances are making her seem that way.

I don't think Gracie will be a big threat to Yulia (or the legion on Russians). She'll do well just to hold off her fellow Americans. She'll have to wait for Yulia to have more breakdowns Sochi-style (unlikely) or for Yulia to be swallowed by the puberty monster (I hope this doesn't happen).

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think Gracie WAS supposed to be more dramatic to suit the music better (the music is pretty dramatic and you can't disagree with this). I only alluded to the program, not delivery. I wasn't trying to undermine anyone (although the other posters may have carried the tone), unless you think all skaters should be dramatic (which is obviously untrue).

The program had the potential to be more than she performed it, I think, so I do agree with you there. Maybe Frank and Lori will do something about that going into the next season.

I noticed that about the dress, too. It's so beautiful, but another inch or two higher on the top would have been a good thing.
As far as "too princess-y" goes, this year was a bit prissy for my taste. But, maybe it's was just for the Russian audiences. Too me, it came off as a little cold and one note. I hope they mix it up next year and push her to explore which direction she truly feels the most comfortable going.

She needs to work on her expression. There was a slow-motion close-up of her face during her spiral(?) at Worlds on Japanese TV that particularly got my attention.

Though, if you ask anyone who's already in love with her, they'll tell you she's the most elegant and graceful figure skater they've ever seen. :sarcasm:

thom

Rinkside
I've tried my darndest to embrace an American skater, and when Gracie hit the scene, I thought she'd be someone to root for. Unfortunately, I'm still looking. She just seems so…processed...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are many ways a skater can package themselves. What's tacky to some may be meaningful to others. I personally find Gracie way too princess for my taste. I know many find Yulia too forlorn. I think the main thing to note is both girls seem to connect with their fans. This sport represents different cultures and different upbringings. That is what is so unique to it. Many skaters often represent their cultural norms and show its influences within their own interpretations of widely known pieces of music. While I may not be drawn to the princess type or feel any emotional connection to it...I certainly respect it.

... This sport represents different cultures and different upbringings. That is what is so unique to it. Many skaters often represent their cultural norms and show its influences within their own interpretations of widely known pieces of music. .... ...I certainly respect it.

:clap: Very eloquently said Sam!!! You are right on the mark; and I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it comes down to appreciating what the skater can do and respecting their approach rather than loving the full package.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As much as I think Gracie should play to her strengths, it would be nice to see some greater range of programs than the typical, classical programs. I think she'll want to be in this comfort zone for another season though, and once she starts winning she'll become a little more experimental. She's capable of it, but we have yet to see it. I wouldn't call her "princessy" simply because she's skated to Sleeping Beauty and Frozen.

It's also hard to compare her to Lipnitskaia, who uses her vulnerability to create emotions. I would like to see Lip also have more attitude in her programs, although it might not suit her at this point, and like Gold she should play to what's working for her.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't know about "range" - truth is few people do a variety of genres well. Very few. When people do branch out and try new styles, they're not as well-received, the quality of their programs suffer, or the judges knock off their PCS. Why not do something that you know for sure you'll do well even if it is safe and traditional? People are always going to complain anyway.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Her shoulders are too broad to be a princess. But it's a good thing since she is an athlete.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know about "range" - truth is few people do a variety of genres well. Very few. When people do branch out and try new styles, they're not as well-received, the quality of their programs suffer, or the judges knock off their PCS. Why not do something that you know for sure you'll do well even if it is safe and traditional? People are always going to complain anyway.

<kaboom> Thank you. No need to pander to those who complain. Be yourself and really give them something to hate on :yay:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, I think people complain less if you're able to show a range, and you develop artistically as a skater, and become more memorable. It's nice to be known as a skater who can interpret all types of music, even though very few skaters are able to. It's really up to the skater.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm curious to know which skaters in particular people think could truely represent a variety of interpretation are. It seems to me the truely loved skaters always have a signature style that will always come thru at some point. I personally think the most beloved skaters are unapologetically themselves. It takes a certain dynamic to mold a song to fit your interpretation just as much as it does to bend your character to fit a song. I think both are tricky and commendable in their own way.

Ven

Match Penalty
I find Gracie a bit too (though I hate to go all Simon Cowell)... "pageanty."

Yep. I've said that too ... she's a pretty girl off the ice, but every time I see her in a competition she looks like she's trying out for some tacky beauty pageant.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
GG has a great future. I also think she was a little bit underscored in the team event.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really didn't like her 2012-2013 programs (especially the FS), so I think that this year they were A LOT better! The answer to the thread's title is "no" for me, since I don't find her "princessy" right now, I would actually call her style under Frank just "a lot more elegant and refined"; Carroll is kind of "old style", yes, but I really like the "majestic" impact that his skaters have.
Specifically, I think her new SP was a huge step forward in terms of class, ability to portray a wide range of emotions and to have a more "sophisticated" choreography; not the most daring music/dress/movements choice, of course, but a lot more mature for sure!

thom

Rinkside
Yep. I've said that too ... she's a pretty girl off the ice, but every time I see her in a competition she looks like she's trying out for some tacky beauty pageant.

YES! THAT'S IT! She looks like she decided to be a skater once she outgrew kiddie pageants!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Actually, this is a pretty good assessment. She does have that prim and prop "pageant" quality to her. In some ways it helps her skating, but in other ways it makes her skating kitschy and difficult to "feel" anything when watching her programs. Then again, she'll mature over time and hopefully diversify her capabilities.

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, I think people complain less if you're able to show a range, and you develop artistically as a skater, and become more memorable. It's nice to be known as a skater who can interpret all types of music, even though very few skaters are able to. It's really up to the skater.

Yes, but very few people are able to master a variety of styles. It's hard enough to perfect one style. V&M can do it but not all skaters are at the level of V&M. Some skaters who do a "variety" of styles are really not very good at all. I cringed during a lot of the pro skating events where a skater with a typical classical style tries to do the groove-hip-hop-breakdance and it doesn't always work.

noskates

Record Breaker
I just met Gracie yesterday at the San Jose SOI and she was warm, friendly, and not at all diva'ish or princessy or pageanty (is that a word) Don't confuse someone's persona on the ice or when being interviewed as what that person is truly like. It was also interesting to see her palling around with Mirai and Ashley during warm ups. The girls came off as being friends and enjoying each other's company.

I think oftentimes people who work the internet day in and day out bring their own reality to it rather than what's really occurring.