Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 245

Thread: Grace Gold - too princessy?

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,799
    Much too princessy in makeup and hair.

  2. #107
    Yuzulia & Ruslena Team Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    My point is, why does it matter who Elena's friends with?

    It doesn't matter at all. It matters only in the Skyfly planet. That's why I was teasing her about Gracie, but I was wrong because it's like feeding the troll with her.



    @This is the most beautiful dog in the world.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

  3. #108
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post


    I have a Tibetan terrier puppy
    Wow, no kidding? Yours truly is now turning pea green w/ envy. Really. Pea green. Per one of my earlier posts, I'm a total pushover for both dogs and cats and just about any other kind of critter as well.

    Back to the thread topic (sort of): I'd been wondering why there were no sky_fly posts in this thread, but now it looks like she's making up for a lot of lost time. Oh, well.

  4. #109
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,556
    I agree with Drivingmissdaisy re: Gracie's need to develop an identity.

    I do wonder if Frank is going to force Gracie into the boring cookie-cutter ice princess image, which is what they did to her last season. Don't get me wrong, it worked...but only b/c what preceded it was so terrible.

    Are we going to get to see Gracie bring any personality to the ice? She's improved a lot, don't get me wrong, but in terms of developing that personality, reaching the audience and the judges and really selling the program w/ more than just a plastered pageant smile, she has a long way to go. I'd also really like to see her continue to work on her arms. She's not as frantic with them as she used to be but she still flails/windmills/samauri-swords-slashes them. Someone needs to soften her arms up...hopefully she'll continue to work on that.

    It's going to be really interesting to see what programs they come up with next season. They have the full summer to tailor the programs to Gracie and make them work.

    Personally, I see Polina as being a big threat to Gracie next year. She's got all of the technical content and then some, plus she's pretty consistent. I think Polina trumps Gracie when it comes to feeling the music, performing and connecting with the audience/judges. She's versatile too: she went from Latin up-tempo to soft and lyrical and pulled off both very well. She has better control of her arms than Gracie, that's for sure, and she's confident and a competitor.

    A strong GP season from Polina, and Gracie may have her hands full at nationals next year.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I agree with Drivingmissdaisy re: Gracie's need to develop an identity.

    I do wonder if Frank is going to force Gracie into the boring cookie-cutter ice princess image, which is what they did to her last season. Don't get me wrong, it worked...but only b/c what preceded it was so terrible.

    Are we going to get to see Gracie bring any personality to the ice? She's improved a lot, don't get me wrong, but in terms of developing that personality, reaching the audience and the judges and really selling the program w/ more than just a plastered pageant smile, she has a long way to go. I'd also really like to see her continue to work on her arms. She's not as frantic with them as she used to be but she still flails/windmills/samauri-swords-slashes them. Someone needs to soften her arms up...hopefully she'll continue to work on that.
    .
    Yes. I prefer watching Ashley to Gracie every single time, not because Ashley is an objectively better skater but because she projects power and sexiness in a way that makes her interesting. Likewise, I enjoy Mao's lyrical flowing style, and Julia's delicateness and "wow factor". It's not that I prefer one style over another. I just prefer some personality to none.

    <waits for the inevitable pillaging>

  6. #111
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's going to be really interesting to see what programs they come up with next season. They have the full summer to tailor the programs to Gracie and make them work.
    I also am interested to see what Frank can do working with Gracie the full summer. She definitely has the capability to be great. I don't see her succeeding as a lyrical skater, but many skaters have done very well whom I don't find lyrical at all including Debbie Thomas, Irina Slutskaya, and Tonya Harding. Like you said, Polina moves with the music better so Gracie needs to find another way to set herself apart.

  7. #112
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Yes. I prefer watching Ashley to Gracie every single time, not because Ashley is an objectively better skater but because she projects power and sexiness in a way that makes her interesting.
    This is a good point. Ashley finds programs that work for her. I don't think she could pull off programs like Mao's SP or Yuna's LP from this year, but Ashley stays away from programs that she can't inject some excitement into. Gracie's original SP from last season shows that she's willing to try something different, and although I hated the music a lot of fans did appreciate the risky choice she made. She should continue taking risks, understanding that some risks will fail, until she finds the right type of programs for her.

  8. #113
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Personally, I see Polina as being a big threat to Gracie next year. She's got all of the technical content and then some, plus she's pretty consistent. I think Polina trumps Gracie when it comes to feeling the music, performing and connecting with the audience/judges. She's versatile too: she went from Latin up-tempo to soft and lyrical and pulled off both very well. She has better control of her arms than Gracie, that's for sure, and she's confident and a competitor.

    A strong GP season from Polina, and Gracie may have her hands full at nationals next year.
    I agree. She already beat Gold in the FS at Worlds, and with Gold getting a 6 point PCS advantage at that.

    Polina still has juvenile qualities, but I thought her SP this year was fresh and bubbly, and her FS was graceful and ethereal (although a tad boring). Like Gold, it'll be hard for Edmunds to develop the artistic range given her slight figure (it'll be interesting to see her tackle something with attitude), but I think she can be a huge threat if she maintains her current consistency.

    Let's not forget that as essentially a junior, Polina cracked 126 points in her FS at Worlds, which is pretty remarkable.

  9. #114
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I agree. She already beat Gold in the FS at Worlds, and with Gold getting a 6 point PCS advantage at that.

    Polina still has juvenile qualities, but I thought her SP this year was fresh and bubbly, and her FS was graceful and ethereal (although a tad boring). Like Gold, it'll be hard for Edmunds to develop the artistic range given her slight figure (it'll be interesting to see her tackle something with attitude), but I think she can be a huge threat if she maintains her current consistency.

    Let's not forget that as essentially a junior, Polina cracked 126 points in her FS at Worlds, which is pretty remarkable.
    What does a slight frame have to do with developing into an artist?

  10. #115
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraAngelica View Post
    What does a slight frame have to do with developing into an artist?
    I think her figure is too slim and girly to do roles with more attitude or "fire". It's a maturity thing that will come with time, but it would be odd to see her try to interpret a tango for example, but possibly interesting. I tend to associate more "mature" body types with those types of music. Kim for example is a bit more filled out and strong looking so something like Danse Macabre or James Bond suits her... but I can't picture Edmunds selling the same type of program given the figure she has. Sometimes it's a stylistic thing, like Czisny being more comfortable doing airy, ethereal programs instead of programs with attitude. A super slim girl-like figure can make it not as easy to project, IMO.

  11. #116
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    I saw Gracie at the SOI show in San Jose over the weekend, and I really enjoyed her performances, but she didn't have the musicality that some of the other skaters showed. She seems like more of a technical skater than an artistic one at this point in her career.

    I don't know if I think she's too princess-y. Maybe a little. I don't find her make up tacky or pageanty, but it's not the most flattering. I think she's fallen into the trap of thinking, "I'm on stage, I need bold make up to stand out," when, in reality, a pink lipstick, scaling back a little on the eyebrow pencil, and wearing a lower bun/French twist would soften her look and really give her a much more classic look.

    I also met her at the meet and greet in San Jose and she's super sweet. No trace of diva there.

  12. #117
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think her figure is too slim and girly to do roles with more attitude or "fire". It's a maturity thing that will come with time, but it would be odd to see her try to interpret a tango for example, but possibly interesting. I tend to associate more "mature" body types with those types of music. Kim for example is a bit more filled out and strong looking so something like Danse Macabre or James Bond suits her... but I can't picture Edmunds selling the same type of program given the figure she has. Sometimes it's a stylistic thing, like Czisny being more comfortable doing airy, ethereal programs instead of programs with attitude. A super slim girl-like figure can make it not as easy to project, IMO.
    Let's agree to disagree. I don't think body type determines if one can be seen as sassy or with attitude on the ice.

  13. #118
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraAngelica View Post
    Let's agree to disagree. I don't think body type determines if one can be seen as sassy or with attitude on the ice.
    Of course. I'm also aware that I'm generalizing. Some "mature" more filled out skaters such as Butyrskaya and Chen can convey light and ethereal, and some comparatively slimmer/slender skaters like Asada and Kostner can exhibit power and attitude. I just think for Polina's frame there's a certain delicacy to it that makes it hard for me to picture her with more attitude. I think her SP was just the right touch of sass at this point in time, and I really hope when she grows older she develops a strong body and more fire and attitude needed to put her near the top. Of course it's only her first season really, so expectations are exceedingly high, but she's skated remarkably under pressure, particularly the 2nd half of last season. Gold's jumps have made me excited about her prospects, but Polina's overall skating makes me think she's got a lot of potential and certainly enough to push Gold. Her SP was arguably my favourite SP this year.

  14. #119
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    306
    It's her smile that reminds me of beauty pageants.

  15. #120
    On the Ice TwinnerA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    If the princess look was what it took to get my attention, it worked! I barely remember Gracie from last season. I thought both her costumes were gorgeous and I liked both her programs. Don't get me wrong, she is no Michelle Kwan, but I'm just hoping she doesn't go the way of two other skaters I was hanging my hopes on, Caroline Zhang and Alyssa Czisny and who I wouldn't be surprised to see move on this season.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •