Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Grace Gold - too princessy?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by raineydaze View Post
    I think she's fallen into the trap of thinking, "I'm on stage, I need bold make up to stand out," when, in reality, a pink lipstick, scaling back a little on the eyebrow pencil, and wearing a lower bun/French twist would soften her look and really give her a much more classic look.
    Her hair as she wears it now reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_(Looney_Tunes)

She has got to change it.

Custom Title
    So which princess did she come off as?

This one?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3vZxiNLnLm...%2BDenmark.jpg

Or maybe this one?

http://www.princess-diana-remembered...60299_orig.jpg

Perhaps one of these two? http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...265105c4b4.jpg

Or this one (though she does not use that title)?

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/...0/615x1000.jpg

Can we retire the word "princess" to refer to a skater looking feminine or skating to ballet music?

Banned
    More like the wannabe actresses they hire at Disney to play characters.

I must be the only one who thinks the high ballet bun is cute and I think she pulls off the red lipstick okay. Didn't anyone notice Ashley with the high bun and red lips as well? Anyways it's kind of hilariously that being pretty and looking put together is being considered a flaw. It may come across a bit manufactured but it is a performance. She may feel being made-up helps get her into the performance and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    More like the wannabe actresses they hire at Disney to play characters.
    Yes, that. Modern day princesses are often very chic, CP Mary especially, and some of them are quite accomplished.

go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    I must be the only one who thinks the high ballet bun is cute and I think she pulls off the red lipstick okay.
    You're not the only one. I saw nothing wrong with Gracie's makeup and hairstyle either, and thought it looked elegant; to me it wasn't overdone in any way.

Tripping on the Podium
    I actually really enjoyed Gracie's All that Jazz in SOI Chicago a few weeks ago - it is quite upbeat & she had great energy. I saw a clip of an older short program that had a lot of fast footwork & again she performed with great energy & enjoyment. Neither of those performances was perfect - if I recall she fell once in the Chicago program & her arms in the other program weren't great. But overall I really enjoyed both because she was enjoying herself & it showed. My sense with this year's programs was that either they didn't resonate with her, or that she was under pressure b/c it was a high stakes Olympic year, she had just changed coaches, etc. When she did relax at the end of her LP at nationals (sandra bezic: look at her, she can't contain herself) she no longer seemed plastic & princessy to me. I think she's got a lot of talent & really hope she & her team are able to showcase it better in the coming year.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraAngelica View Post
    Let's agree to disagree. I don't think body type determines if one can be seen as sassy or with attitude on the ice.
    It does though because it does have to do with body lines as well. Can you see Irina or Harding doing a Swan lake, no matter how hard they could try?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I must be the only one who thinks the high ballet bun is cute and I think she pulls off the red lipstick okay. Didn't anyone notice Ashley with the high bun and red lips as well? Anyways it's kind of hilariously that being pretty and looking put together is being considered a flaw. It may come across a bit manufactured but it is a performance. She may feel being made-up helps get her into the performance and there's nothing wrong with that.
    I didn't mind the hairstyle or makeup. It was classic elegance, not overdone, and worked well. I think her bun would be better if she did it like the way the dancers do it because it looks fuller and can be styled a little more. But her makeup and everything works fine with her skin tone and features.

I don't consider looking nice a flaw. My pageant/princessy remarks speak more to the way she presents herself, not from a visual standpoint (i.e. her hair or makeup), but from the way she performs on the ice. I do prefer the pageant smile to her skating around stone faced but she's going to have to find something authentic to tap into when she skates so that she can actually convey the tone/mood/feeling of the music and connect with it as well as the audience/judges.

Gracie has improved but her presentation is rather plastic: it looks nice but it's fake. The same issue exists as before where she doesn't feel what she's doing. She's taking better direction from Lori/Frank and delivering the movements better, but it still looks like someone told her, "do your arm like this, then tilt your head and smile." It's still very rehearsed-looking.

She's better than she was a year ago, but she still has a long way to go. Nearly all of the Russians (Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova) and both Americans (Wanger, Edmunds) are better at delivering the choreography than Gracie is.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I didn't mind the hairstyle or makeup. It was classic elegance, not overdone, and worked well. I think her bun would be better if she did it like the way the dancers do it because it looks fuller and can be styled a little more.

Custom Title
    A relative of mine, who lives to rant about things that do not really matter, spent two days during the Olympics posting on Facebook about how much she hated the skaters' make-up. Considering her own poor choices in that department, she should not have been saying a word, but aside from that, I told her this: their make-up is done for the benefit of the crowd in the arena, not the television cameras. As such, it often does not look right on television. That was something I realized attending Nationals in 2013--my first ever live competition. I did not notice all the weirdness of make-up that I always notice on television. It all looked fine from the stands.

That said, Gracie wears that same red lipstick off the ice quite often. It isn't red that is the problem, it is that she needs a slightly different, warmer shade of red. But I also wouldn't want anyone judging the choices I made at her age. It was the 80s, heaven help us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I told her this: their make-up is done for the benefit of the crowd in the arena, not the television cameras. As such, it often does not look right on television. That was something I realized attending Nationals in 2013--my first ever live competition. I did not notice all the weirdness of make-up that I always notice on television. It all looked fine from the stands.
    I think that's true also for the costumes. Johnny and Tara while picking the best and worse said that some of them doesn't look good on the picture or television but they look great on the arena.

Custom Title

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

Personally, I see Polina as being a big threat to Gracie next year. She's got all of the technical content and then some, plus she's pretty consistent. I think Polina trumps Gracie when it comes to feeling the music, performing and connecting with the audience/judges.
    Wow, you think so??? Ok...

A strong GP season from Polina, and Gracie may have her hands full at nationals next year.
    Hmm. Only if because Gold will be in the position of defending her title and will likely leave the door open...

Down With It
    The issue here with Gold is that it appears (to me) that she is trying really hard to be something she is not. If she could pull off "princessy", well, fine. This thread then wouldn't exist. But her skating style to me is more of a power skater, a "look at what I can do" type of skater. She needs a vehicle that allows her to showcase that and last season's programs failed big time in that regard. However, at the end of the day, she'll get points as long as she lands her jumps. That should be top priority...getting comfortable enough so she doesn't fall apart when a medal is within her grasp. I know, easier said than done.

I normally don't comment on the fashion stuff because it doesn't matter...but I want to say that I don't think the look is the problem. As you point out Wagner had a similar look yet made it work for her skate. Essentially it comes down to the movements made on the ice. As long as you can sell a program - and that's the one thing Wagner still does better than Gold IMHO - and land your jumps, the other stuff handles itself.

Because Gold appears to be mismatched, she invites more scrutiny.

Personally, less is more. But it's not really a big deal to me otherwise. just land the jumps.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast