What music would you love to see in programs next season??? | Golden Skate

What music would you love to see in programs next season???

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I am so over Swan Lake!! Yes, some have interpreted it beautifully, but I think it's never going to be remembered as "Oksana's program" or "Sasha's program" because so many greats have performed to it over the years.

What music selections do you think are overdone? And what selections would you enjoy seeing in next seasons programs?

LP or SP-
I would love to see someone use the score from "Unfaithful" composed by Jan Kaczamerk. Very powerfull and has intricate sections followed by subtle sections. Perfect for someone like Kwan because she tends to like exotic music.

SP- Rhapsody in Blue. I know!! This is just about as hackneyd as Swan Lake but I love it!!! Im such a hypocrit. :D

Exhibition- River of Dreams by Billy Joel or maybe the Gypsy Kings cover of Hotel California (it was used in the big lebowski i think)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The 1812 Overture.. I don't think anyone's ever skated to it... and it's one of my favorite pieces!

I think Pirates of the Carribean and The Passion soundtracks have some great music selections as well :)

lulu

Final Flight
Actually it seems that Pirates of The Carribean is a very popular choice this year amongst younger skaters, so we might see it this seaon with the elites.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
There are only two senior skaters who can do justice to Pirates of the Caribean, and that's Alexander Abt (please, COI, sign this guy for Tour II) and Kevin Van der Perren. And maybe Gregor Urbas.

I would like someone to use Edvin Marton's version of Bittersweet Symphony. It's exactly four minutes long, so it could be a ladies FS, or it could be edited to make a fab SP. Lots of highlights for footwork and spins, not to mention a great place at the beginning for a combination jump. I think I've thought too much about this....:laugh:

Actually, I expect to hear more Edvin next year because every piece of music on that CD can be skated to. I just hope none of the skaters I dislike choose it. :D

Laura :)

Spirit

On the Ice
Lord of the Rings soundtrack (all three) has some good music.

Anything but Swan Lake!!!!

Antilles

Medalist
I love everything to do with Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm afraid of what some of the interpretations will look like though. Please no more fake sword fighting! Especially if you're a singles skater without an "opponent" to fence!

lulu

Final Flight
Antilles said:
Please no more fake sword fighting! Especially if you're a singles skater without an "opponent" to fence!

LOL

But then again, everytime a skater falls in a program he could always said that he was reinacting walking off the plank.:laugh:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I just thought of another song I would like someone to use for a show number... there is this great version of somwhere over the rainbow/what a wonderful world by a hawaiian artist. It was featured in those great etoys.com adds in 99 and 2000

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'd love to see someone use the music from the film "The Mission". It is so beautiful. I know Karen Kwan used it at Nationals in 96 and Elvis Stojko also used it as a LP during the early 90s. And why does hardly anyone skate to Pachelbel's "Canon in D"....maybe because it has become a cheesy wedding standard (but I still love it!).

And Liz, I complain about over used music too, but I always love to see "Turandot"....my favorite Puccini piece that never seems to get old for me.

Last edited:

Koroleva

On the Ice
No more Art on Ice (well T&M can keep their program), Turnadot (NOOOOOO), Swan Lake and no more Tosca!

Ximena

Final Flight
I think Alexander Abt is scheduled to tour on Japan and also do shows in Russia in a tour that is hosted by L&A (not confirmation of it) but he said in an interview and he said something about 10 shows there, then he also has a tour in France but he said that they never know with them since they do everything at the last minute, so eventhough I think it would great if COI cast him, I don't think he has time. I bet Plush will invite him for his shows and that during the dates of Tour II which is also why Plush is not doing it.

Edvin Marton? yes, someone skated to First Date again!!

icenut84

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
The 1812 Overture.. I don't think anyone's ever skated to it... and it's one of my favorite pieces!

I think Todd Eldredge's LP in 2001 used the 1812 music.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's see---no more Tosca, Swan Lake, Turnadot---how about another good skate with CARMEN???:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Well, the season just ended and I'm full up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard Carmen and Swan Lake come next September and loved them all over again. :laugh: For now however, I'd be happy to see the backside of:

West Side Story, Broadway Showtune Medleys, Phantom of the Opera, Evita

The Mummy, Legends of the Fall, The Mission, Henry V, Sense and Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing, Robin Hood, Zorro, The Matrix, Conquest 1492, Lord of the Ring, Notre Dame de Paris, Romeo and Juliette(60s), Romeo and Juliette(90s), The Man in the Iron Mask, Schindler's List

Take 5, Blues for Clock, Caravan, In the Mood

Tosca, Madame Butterfly, La Treviata, Carmen, Turondut,

Swan Lake, Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Romeo and Juliette

4 Seasons, Variations on a Theme

Anything by Bond

Anything by Vanessa Mae

Anything by John Tesch

Anything by Yanni

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The music by Philip Glass from "the Hours". Some really beautiful intricate piano music, Jeff Buttle could do justice to!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
or how about "Hymnsong on Phillip Bliss" ??? It's a beautiful instrumental version of his "How Great Thou Art" it's so cool!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Johnny Weir revive his exhibition program to the music Secret Garden. I loved that program.

Dee

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'd like to see a program set to the score of the 1992 version of Wuthering Heights (with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes). I thought the music in that film was haunting and beautiful. I also liked the music from the Canadian miniseries Anne of Green Gables (although some would probably find it too sentimental). Another favorite is the music from Little Women, 1994 version. I've only seen one skater use that music (Tara Lipinski).

Among classical composers, I like Bach and Dvorak, both of whom seem underused by skaters.

I'd also love to see more programs to jazz music. Not the Chicago soundtrack--real jazz music. Or what about Indian music--someone could do a Bollywood-themed number!

Or, what about a program to some Coldplay songs with the lyrics removed? That could be interesting.

For exhibition programs, I'd love to see someone use "The River" by Joni Mitchell. Not only is it a beautiful song, it also contains skating references! :)

Toni, I am totally intrigued by your idea about the 1812 Overature. Who would you want to see try it? It would have to be a Russian. What would the choreography be like?

I assume you would go with the 40 canon, 1000 church bells version.:)

About music with a religious theme, what about Be Still My Soul (same as Finlandia)? There are many orchestral versions of this famous tune by Sibelius.

Mathman

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
eyria said:
I
Or, what about a program to some Coldplay songs with the lyrics removed? That could be interesting.

:)

I've always thought Clocks would be beautiful, there's enough there to edit it down to the highlights and not lose the beauty of the music.

Also agree with Ximena that Edvin Marton's First Date is fabulous skating music. Victoria Pavuk used it for her SP at Euros and it was fab.

Laura :)