Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What music would you love to see in programs next season???

or how about "Hymnsong on Phillip Bliss" ??? It's a beautiful instrumental version of his "How Great Thou Art" it's so cool!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I would love to see Johnny Weir revive his exhibition program to the music Secret Garden. I loved that program.

Dee

Custom Title
    I'd like to see a program set to the score of the 1992 version of Wuthering Heights (with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes). I thought the music in that film was haunting and beautiful. I also liked the music from the Canadian miniseries Anne of Green Gables (although some would probably find it too sentimental). Another favorite is the music from Little Women, 1994 version. I've only seen one skater use that music (Tara Lipinski).

Among classical composers, I like Bach and Dvorak, both of whom seem underused by skaters.

I'd also love to see more programs to jazz music. Not the Chicago soundtrack--real jazz music. Or what about Indian music--someone could do a Bollywood-themed number!

Or, what about a program to some Coldplay songs with the lyrics removed? That could be interesting.

For exhibition programs, I'd love to see someone use "The River" by Joni Mitchell. Not only is it a beautiful song, it also contains skating references! :-)

Toni, I am totally intrigued by your idea about the 1812 Overature. Who would you want to see try it? It would have to be a Russian. What would the choreography be like?

I assume you would go with the 40 canon, 1000 church bells version.

About music with a religious theme, what about Be Still My Soul (same as Finlandia)? There are many orchestral versions of this famous tune by Sibelius.

Mathman

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Originally posted by eyria
    I
    Or, what about a program to some Coldplay songs with the lyrics removed? That could be interesting.

:-)
    I've always thought Clocks would be beautiful, there's enough there to edit it down to the highlights and not lose the beauty of the music.

Also agree with Ximena that Edvin Marton's First Date is fabulous skating music. Victoria Pavuk used it for her SP at Euros and it was fab.

Laura

Originally posted by eyria
    I also liked the music from the Canadian miniseries Anne of Green Gables
    Thats a good one. I love that music!

Master Procrastinator
    I agree with berthes ghosts's post 100% - take all that music and put it in a vault for at least five years!!!

I would like to see someone skate to the music from "A Beautiful Mind" (cough...Michelle...cough). It is haunting and beautiful and raises to a great climax. For an exhibition, the theme song from the movie would be great (it's sung by a very mature sounding Charlotte Church).

The music from "The Age of Innocence" is great, too.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    Has anyone ever skated to the theme from dragon heart? Its a track they often put in movie trailers because it is so powerful.

I agree that cold play would make for some interesting routines, but I'm always hesitant to warm up to programs with very mainstream music.

Who is this edvin marton yall are speaking of? I'm out of the loop on this one.

Medalist
    Anything by Jesse Cook

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    There's an instrumental by Combustible Edison called "Carnival of Souls" that I always thought would be terrific for a free dance.

I'd like to see a program done to either "Coppelia" or "Sylvia" by Delibes.

Eastern European folk music works for me, too; I have 2 CDs of folk music from Romania that have some great stuff on there.

On the pop side, a group called the Cranes has some very interesting stuff that with the lyrics removed could inspire some very interesting programs.

Custom Title
    1812 Overture: Christopher Bowman (1992? I forget which year); Shepherd Clark (1998?)

Coppelia: Alice Sue Claes, 1992

Sylvia: Michael Weiss, 1993

Dragonheart: Elvis Stojko, 1997

Custom Title
    How about someone skating to Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faune (sp?) by DeBussey? I know this is thought of as Janet Lynne's music and I think only Yuka Sato was brave enough to skate to this piece. I think Shizuka has the gentle reserved look that would go very well with this music. Maybe Sasha will wind up skating to it though, since she's skated to about everything else that was skated before (over and over again to the point of being overused). I think Claire De Lune might be a nice piece for Sasha as well.

Custom Title
    This past season, Jennifer Robinson used Debussy's 'Prelude a L'Apres-Midi d'un faune' for her FS.

I think 'Clair de Lune' is lovely, but there is little change of tempo in the piece. It might be OK for a SP.
    Last edited by chuckm; 04-08-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Custom Title
    Did LuLu skate to Claire de Lune? I thought that Sandra choreographed a program for her with that music. I've never seen Jennifer Robinson skate (maybe I had in previous years but don't remember her) but I know I didn't this year.

Custom Title
    Robinson's 'L'Apre-Midi' program was shown in the airing of the Winter Cheesefest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast