Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Eating disorders among figure skaters and other athletes

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    It would not at all surprise me if that was from stress - the pressure she was under from her federation, being ordered to skate against her will...
    I don't eat when I'm stressed. I've lost weight in the last two years and my sister-in-law keeps telling me I'm being mean to her because I won't give her my "dieting secret". My "dieting secret" is "dad has stage IV cancer" and I don't think she wants to lose weight that badly. She is also a stress eater, so I don't think it would work for her.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjake View Post
    Johnny posted a day of his diet when he was competing- I thought it was horrible. hardly any food and tons of caffeine :(
    Read his book. There's a bunch of places in there like that. And no, I'm hardly picking on him—I have my moments…

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I don't eat when I'm stressed. I've lost weight in the last two years and my sister-in-law keeps telling me I'm being mean to her because I won't give her my "dieting secret". My "dieting secret" is "dad has stage IV cancer" and I don't think she wants to lose weight that badly. She is also a stress eater, so I don't think it would work for her.
    So sorry about your dad! No weight loss, no matter how badly needed, is worth what you're going through. I hope your SIL isn't serious but if she is, you have every right to set her straight. While you're helping to take care of your dad, remember to take care of yourself, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    So sorry about your dad! No weight loss, no matter how badly needed, is worth what you're going through. I hope your SIL isn't serious but if she is, you have every right to set her straight. While you're helping to take care of your dad, remember to take care of yourself, too.
    Thank you.

As for sister-in-law, she needs set straight about a lot of things. I try to avoid her, and (probably unfortunately, but it is hard for me to see it that way) she has been so bad about everything lately that my husband is on board with avoiding her, too. (She is his sister).

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    It's true that stress can affect people badly. I lost 7-8 kg in 2 weeks after my father passed away, too. That was long time ago, though. I love eating, it's just we can't control stress and weight loss when we are depressed. I guess that also happened to Yuna. No wonder she said she's glad when it's all over (the Olympic). Poor girl, I hope JFS won't push Mao the same way Korean Fed pushed Yuna.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Poor girl, I hope JFS won't push Mao the same way Korean Fed pushed Yuna.
    Don't know about Mao, but in Yuna case, it was Korean public in general, not any federation there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your father. It's hard to look out for yourself at a time like this, but I hope you will be able to find and maintain some inner peace.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    It's true that stress can affect people badly. I lost 7-8 kg in 2 weeks after my father passed away, too. That was long time ago, though. I love eating, it's just we can't control stress and weight loss when we are depressed.
    That's true, and I too tend to not eat when I'm stressed and I lose weight. But stress can also make you eat a lot and gain weight.
    It's not just about not eating.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4