Eating disorders among figure skaters and other athletes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Eating disorders among figure skaters and other athletes

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Jenny Kirk has talked extensively about eating disorders and pressure to stay skinny over healthy.
I think I read the article. I dunno if it's the same one you're talking about... I can't find the link anymore.

I'm not any kind of diet or health expert, so I've no idea how skaters should balance this. How they are to remain in competition weight without starving themselves. The way I look at it: if you can still do the tricks, you're fine. No point trying to please the haters.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think I read the article. I dunno if it's the same one you're talking about... I can't find the link anymore.

I'm not any kind of diet or health expert, so I've no idea how skaters should balance this. How they are to remain in competition weight without starving themselves. The way I look at it: if you can still do the tricks, you're fine. No point trying to please the haters.

My experience with the ballerinas at my accademy, I don't know if is the same for the skters, was that they were always eating tbh. They had different meals from the musicians, a good diet, but they will not starving themselves at all. You can't dance being weak and you are when you don't eat.
This was many years ago, so I don't know if today they can do that, not eating, and maybe they take other things to keep themselves strong and have the energy to dance.

desertskates

Medalist
Alba raises a good point about keeping up your strength. Food is a body's fuel, without it, the body will fail. Fatigue, injuries, and long term heart damage, etc.
It's so sad to think of young girls pushed into disordered eating habits. They're often not yet old enough to select their meals themselves. I understand a certain level of fitness is required, and a part of that is not being overweight. But a good diet of lean protiens, fruits, veggies and a treat here and there should be just fine for most young girls.

I was quite happy to see somewhere that while the US ladies were training in Austria during the Olympics, they posted some pictures of each other enjoying some of the yummy goodies on offer :) That's what it's all about, striking that balance.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan has never been out of shape...she may not have been in fighting shape...or 2001 Worlds shape, and if you feel that way then fine, say so but I encourage everyone to choose their words carefully and be exact in what you mean.

Tanith Belbin has talked about the pressures she used to feel about weight. In fact, when she and Agosto switched coaches, Natalia Linichuk I think gave her an ultimatum because she was too thin (can't find that article anymore). It was more of a case of disordered eating than an eating disorder though; and the two are different. This article talks about it too though: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sports/olympics/17icedancers.html?_r=0

EDIT:
And I know that Tessa Virtue has spoken about it before too, I believe....I know she's been criticized for her weight in the past. Heck, comments were even made during their reality show - one comment that stuck out was that a former female athlete (non-skater) was talking about how the guys will be eating but none of the girls will be (or to that effect in how they'd all be eating at Sochi and at Skate Canada training - maybe?).

Gymnastics, FS, dance - all have reputations for the weight issue. But, so does swimming if you were ever a part of that

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Tanith Belbin has talked about the pressures she used to feel about weight. In fact, when she and Agosto switched coaches, Natalia Linichuk I think gave her an ultimatum because she was too thin (can't find that article anymore). It was more of a case of disordered eating than an eating disorder though; and the two are different. This article talks about it too though: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sports/olympics/17icedancers.html?_r=0

I remember that article!

She said that when she gained weight it made it easier for Ben to do lifts with her because she could put her own strength into it as opposed to making him do all the work.

In fact, that's what Marina and Igor have always done fairly well with - all their female dancers, though obviously petite, have well-defined muscles and all appear to be at a healthy weight. Thus why V/M, D/W, B/A, and P/B were able to do such difficult lifts and make it look so effortless. (I'd include C/B and Shibs, but they aren't up to the artistry level or technicality of the others I named.)

I remember that article! She said that when she gained weight it made it easier for Ben to do lifts with her because she could put her own strength into it as opposed to making him do all the work.

Yes!! I really like that article because Tanith was so honest about how she felt about gaining weight and the pressure and such. And I feel like by reading it, you get a good idea of disordered eating - case study wise.

And you're right! Marina and Igor's ladies usually do have good muscle definition. That being said, Tanith did have her issues when she was with them. Like I said, I don't think she was full on confronted about it until Natalia pretty much gave her an ultimatum about it. And I'm glad that it sounds and seems like she responded well to that; and is at a healthier weight. :)

On a different note, I know there have been rumors about certain training locations where weight is more scrutinized than others; and that the females are supposedly on certain diets - to keep it all p.c. I'm not sure how much of that is true, so I'm not going to name names or anything. If someone else has more concrete facts on this, then it'd be interesting to hear....but as it is, I think it's just gossip at this point.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd also like to add that I find it very stupid that the focus seems to be entirely on girls.

Evgeni Plushenko admitted to not eating more than an apple a day before Vancouver. If you look at the pics of him at Euros that season compared to the Olympics - at Euros he looked fit and healthy, in Vancouver he was a pale shadow. (Take a look at the way his costume fits at Euros, then doesn't fit at the Olys. Says it all.)

Max Aaron broke his back lifting weights to try and put on weight! (Admittedly, this is while he was playing hockey...)

Joshua Farris openly celebrated putting on weight on Twitter last summer.

Yagudin was another who said he was eating little before Salt Lake City.

I was watching a video interview with Jason Brown from when he was sixteen-almost-seventeen. He'd just grown three inches. The interviewer asked him how much he weighed now, and Jason answered "135". The interviewer expressed surprise, and when Jason asked, "Is that bad?" the interviewer replied, "You look like you're bigger than that, that's good!"

So it's not just the girls who are hit with it, it's the boys too, only they're often under pressure from BOTH directions - to gain weight (muscle) and lose.

I'd also like to add that I find it very stupid that the focus seems to be entirely on girls.

Very valid point!!! :) I totally agree with you. Heck, it's so silly, but look at the photos that certain male ice dancers and pairs skaters post of themselves at the gym and/or shirtless to show their muscles... I think everyone feels the pressure regardless of gender

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just not be to quick to discount hard work here on this thread. My favorite little Russian has said she eats tangerines and fish almost daily (both benefit a slim shape) and also skates 4hrs with a 1hr session of flexibility exercises followed by running on a treadmill. There is something to be said for hard work too. It's a lot tougher than just not eating food. :)

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice

Evgeni Plushenko admitted to not eating more than an apple a day before Vancouver. If you look at the pics of him at Euros that season compared to the Olympics - at Euros he looked fit and healthy, in Vancouver he was a pale shadow. (Take a look at the way his costume fits at Euros, then doesn't fit at the Olys. Says it all.)

Max Aaron broke his back lifting weights to try and put on weight! (Admittedly, this is while he was playing hockey...)

Joshua Farris openly celebrated putting on weight on Twitter last summer.

Yagudin was another who said he was eating little before Salt Lake City.

I was watching a video interview with Jason Brown from when he was sixteen-almost-seventeen. He'd just grown three inches. The interviewer asked him how much he weighed now, and Jason answered "135". The interviewer expressed surprise, and when Jason asked, "Is that bad?" the interviewer replied, "You look like you're bigger than that, that's good!"

So it's not just the girls who are hit with it, it's the boys too, only they're often under pressure from BOTH directions - to gain weight (muscle) and lose.

Adam Ripppon is other... he looks so much slim than other season, he did it for Quads, it was necessary, he said

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Right, Karne. Plushenko is constantly on a diet, if he has competitive season. He eats white meats and fish. Before the competition he eats yogurt and apple and banana several days.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right, Karne. Plushenko is constantly on a diet, if he has competitive season. He eats white meats and fish. Before the competition he eats yogurt and apple and banana several days.

That's not a diet, that's starvation. It's not healthy.

Alba

Record Breaker

Indeed. Football players as well keep a food regime. It's different of course but they do. Italians have their own chef and food supply in all their tournaments for example.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Yes!! I really like that article because Tanith was so honest about how she felt about gaining weight and the pressure and such. And I feel like by reading it, you get a good idea of disordered eating - case study wise.

And you're right! Marina and Igor's ladies usually do have good muscle definition. That being said, Tanith did have her issues when she was with them. Like I said, I don't think she was full on confronted about it until Natalia pretty much gave her an ultimatum about it. And I'm glad that it sounds and seems like she responded well to that; and is at a healthier weight. :)

On a different note, I know there have been rumors about certain training locations where weight is more scrutinized than others; and that the females are supposedly on certain diets - to keep it all p.c. I'm not sure how much of that is true, so I'm not going to name names or anything. If someone else has more concrete facts on this, then it'd be interesting to hear....but as it is, I think it's just gossip at this point.

I'll name names because I'm a gossipy *****. The Scotvolds do (or did?) public weigh-ins for their skaters. Shame works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alba

Record Breaker
This is what Yulia said about the article: (thanks to Autumn_girl on FSU post 307 http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...rough-Sochi-2014/page16&p=4124907#post4124907)

Oh! It's an exaggeration. Journalists misunderstood again... I usually have a proper breakfast and lunch, but yes, powder for dinner... or salad. And of course I don't eat cookies and candies. You can't get such physical activity without eating, it's totally ludicrous. And I eat chocolate ))

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is a powder dinner just like a protein shake or or something to that effect? I do that regularly and my doctor days I'm at the perfect weight for my age and height.

I think when people see a bigger person a lot of times they automatically assume they over eat. Conversely when people see a skinny person they often assume they don't eat enough. I think both are equally destructive ways to generalize people. I think a lot of weight and shape is due to metabolism. Exercise is the key to firing up your internal burners. We can't discard the hard work these atheletes put in. I'd rather be slightly underweight and on a strict diet than slightly overweight eating more excessively. The later really drains my energy and makes me feel less capable on and off of the ice.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is a powder dinner just like a protein shake or or something to that effect? I do that regularly and my doctor days I'm at the perfect weight for my age and height.

I think when people see a bigger person a lot of times they automatically assume they over eat. Conversely when people see a skinny person they often assume they don't eat enough. I think both are equally destructive ways to generalize people. I think a lot of weight and shape is due to metabolism. Exercise is the key to firing up your internal burners. We can't discard the hard work these atheletes put in. I'd rather be slightly underweight and on a strict diet than slightly overweight eating more excessively. The later really drains my energy and makes me feel less capable on and off of the ice.

:thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup: :yes:

Also, some medications can wreak havoc w/ the metabolism and cause weight gain, even with lots of exercise.

louisa05

Final Flight
:clap:

:clap::yay:

There is also a genetic element. My mother is 5'2" (when she stretches) and weighs 95lbs and eats whatever she wants. It is no accident or product of a diet that I, too, have a relatively small frame and don't put on weight easily at all. I'm just taller.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This is what Yulia said about the article: (thanks to Autumn_girl on FSU post 307 http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...rough-Sochi-2014/page16&p=4124907#post4124907)

Oh! It's an exaggeration. Journalists misunderstood again... I usually have a proper breakfast and lunch, but yes, powder for dinner... or salad. And of course I don't eat cookies and candies. You can't get such physical activity without eating, it's totally ludicrous. And I eat chocolate ))

:thumbsup: