Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eating disorders among figure skaters and other athletes

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I'd also like to add that I find it very stupid that the focus seems to be entirely on girls.

Evgeni Plushenko admitted to not eating more than an apple a day before Vancouver. If you look at the pics of him at Euros that season compared to the Olympics - at Euros he looked fit and healthy, in Vancouver he was a pale shadow. (Take a look at the way his costume fits at Euros, then doesn't fit at the Olys. Says it all.)

Max Aaron broke his back lifting weights to try and put on weight! (Admittedly, this is while he was playing hockey...)

Joshua Farris openly celebrated putting on weight on Twitter last summer.

Yagudin was another who said he was eating little before Salt Lake City.

I was watching a video interview with Jason Brown from when he was sixteen-almost-seventeen. He'd just grown three inches. The interviewer asked him how much he weighed now, and Jason answered "135". The interviewer expressed surprise, and when Jason asked, "Is that bad?" the interviewer replied, "You look like you're bigger than that, that's good!"

So it's not just the girls who are hit with it, it's the boys too, only they're often under pressure from BOTH directions - to gain weight (muscle) and lose.
    Adam Ripppon is other... he looks so much slim than other season, he did it for Quads, it was necessary, he said

Right, Karne. Plushenko is constantly on a diet, if he has competitive season. He eats white meats and fish. Before the competition he eats yogurt and apple and banana several days.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Right, Karne. Plushenko is constantly on a diet, if he has competitive season. He eats white meats and fish. Before the competition he eats yogurt and apple and banana several days.
    That's not a diet, that's starvation. It's not healthy.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    So it's not just the girls who are hit with it, it's the boys too, only they're often under pressure from BOTH directions - to gain weight (muscle) and lose.
    Indeed. Football players as well keep a food regime. It's different of course but they do. Italians have their own chef and food supply in all their tournaments for example.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflakebeautiful View Post
    Yes!! I really like that article because Tanith was so honest about how she felt about gaining weight and the pressure and such. And I feel like by reading it, you get a good idea of disordered eating - case study wise.

And you're right! Marina and Igor's ladies usually do have good muscle definition. That being said, Tanith did have her issues when she was with them. Like I said, I don't think she was full on confronted about it until Natalia pretty much gave her an ultimatum about it. And I'm glad that it sounds and seems like she responded well to that; and is at a healthier weight.

On a different note, I know there have been rumors about certain training locations where weight is more scrutinized than others; and that the females are supposedly on certain diets - to keep it all p.c. I'm not sure how much of that is true, so I'm not going to name names or anything. If someone else has more concrete facts on this, then it'd be interesting to hear....but as it is, I think it's just gossip at this point.

I'll name names because I'm a gossipy *****. The Scotvolds do (or did?) public weigh-ins for their skaters. Shame works.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-14-2014 at 03:52 PM.

This is what Yulia said about the article: (thanks to Autumn_girl on FSU post 307 http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...07#post4124907)

Oh! It's an exaggeration. Journalists misunderstood again... I usually have a proper breakfast and lunch, but yes, powder for dinner... or salad. And of course I don't eat cookies and candies. You can't get such physical activity without eating, it's totally ludicrous. And I eat chocolate ))

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Is a powder dinner just like a protein shake or or something to that effect? I do that regularly and my doctor days I'm at the perfect weight for my age and height.

I think when people see a bigger person a lot of times they automatically assume they over eat. Conversely when people see a skinny person they often assume they don't eat enough. I think both are equally destructive ways to generalize people. I think a lot of weight and shape is due to metabolism. Exercise is the key to firing up your internal burners. We can't discard the hard work these atheletes put in. I'd rather be slightly underweight and on a strict diet than slightly overweight eating more excessively. The later really drains my energy and makes me feel less capable on and off of the ice.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Is a powder dinner just like a protein shake or or something to that effect? I do that regularly and my doctor days I'm at the perfect weight for my age and height.

I think when people see a bigger person a lot of times they automatically assume they over eat. Conversely when people see a skinny person they often assume they don't eat enough. I think both are equally destructive ways to generalize people. I think a lot of weight and shape is due to metabolism. Exercise is the key to firing up your internal burners. We can't discard the hard work these atheletes put in. I'd rather be slightly underweight and on a strict diet than slightly overweight eating more excessively. The later really drains my energy and makes me feel less capable on and off of the ice.

Also, some medications can wreak havoc w/ the metabolism and cause weight gain, even with lots of exercise.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post

There is also a genetic element. My mother is 5'2" (when she stretches) and weighs 95lbs and eats whatever she wants. It is no accident or product of a diet that I, too, have a relatively small frame and don't put on weight easily at all. I'm just taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    This is what Yulia said about the article: (thanks to Autumn_girl on FSU post 307 http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...07#post4124907)

Oh! It's an exaggeration. Journalists misunderstood again... I usually have a proper breakfast and lunch, but yes, powder for dinner... or salad. And of course I don't eat cookies and candies. You can't get such physical activity without eating, it's totally ludicrous. And I eat chocolate ))

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post

There is also a genetic element. My mother is 5'2" (when she stretches) and weighs 95lbs and eats whatever she wants. It is no accident or product of a diet that I, too, have a relatively small frame and don't put on weight easily at all. I'm just taller.
    True. My mom used to eat, still does, always yogurt or salad only for dinner, and she is not thin at all. Never was, but she was tall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    My experience with the ballerinas at my accademy, I don't know if is the same for the skters, was that they were always eating tbh. They had different meals from the musicians, a good diet, but they will not starving themselves at all. You can't dance being weak and you are when you don't eat.
    This was many years ago, so I don't know if today they can do that, not eating, and maybe they take other things to keep themselves strong and have the energy to dance.
    One of my closest friends was a student at my country's top ballet school, and from what she has said, almost everyone in her class had eating disorders. Sure, they would eat at times, but then they'd all be in the bathroom making themselves puke.

There's also something often referred to as 'the anorexic high'. There's a doctor in Hong Kong who specialized in eating disorders, and out of a desire to understand his patients, he tried starving himself. At first, he found it very difficult, constantly felt hungry, low energy, cranky etc. Then after 2 or 3 months, something changed, and he felt more energy, didn't feel hungry, and started to have thoughts wondering why other people were so weak that they found dieting hard. My sense is that those most susceptible to eating disorders probably have their bodies kick into this mode sooner than the average person. Also, it may require extreme deprivation, rather than just restriction.

Custom Title
    I don't know if it's really involved to the thread, but anyone can tell me why Yuna suddenly lose weight uncontrolled like this? She has lost her appetite recently and just keep losing weight, she didn't like that before.

We met Yuna at her office in Seoul, and even from the first glance she looked very thin. Leading up to Sochi, she continued to say that constant loss of weight has been a worry for her.

“At Vancouver, I had to plan my diet and such to control weight. But for Sochi, I just kept losing weight. I didn’t even have too much appetite, so eating itself was really done mandatorily. I always thought “I have to eat this to train.” Even one incomplete meal led straight to weight loss. Just to keep stamina up I had to eat out of duty, and it even became stressful once in a while.”
    Quote from her recent interview. Thanks to JT Brooks @ Golden Yuna

Custom Title
    It would not at all surprise me if that was from stress - the pressure she was under from her federation, being ordered to skate against her will...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffledgrouse View Post
    I know poor Rachel Flatt got so much grief over her body type. I always thought she looked like Midori Ito.

I know eating disorders are rampant in the dancing world, but I never understood how you could have an ED and still have the energy to train and dance like they do. Is it a case of, instead of only eating 500 calories a day, they eat 5,000 but burn 10,000? I just...can't wrap my head around it.

When Johnny Weir competed on Chopped (a cooking competition here in the States), the judges said his food was delicious but the portions were too small. Johnny was surprised because they were normal portions for him

Johnny posted a day of his diet when he was competing- I thought it was horrible. hardly any food and tons of caffeine :(

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast