Preserving Autographs on Skates | Golden Skate

Preserving Autographs on Skates

laybackgirl

Spectator
First Off: Apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong spot, this seemed like the most general forum. Also apologies in advance if this is a repeat topic, I searched and wasn't getting any results.

A few days ago I got one of my skates autographed by Meryl, Charlie and Jeremy, so it's very special to me and crucial that I protect it. However, I'm not planning to retire this pair of skates for possibly the rest of he year, so I need to find a way to preserve the signatures in the meantime.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What type of material exactly are your skates?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm no expert on this but I researched autographs on baseball gloves and clothes that need to be washed. Both seemed to recommend not storing them in humid areas. Make sure your blades are dry every time before putting them in their case. I'd take them out of your case when you get home too! They seem to emphasis applying heat from a blow dryer in small amounts on a regular basis(maybe once every week or two) This allegedly will help set the ink in more permanently. I think the key is to apply heat before getting them wet. I wouldn't go blow drying them while they are wet.

Be Careful with applying heat though because I watched someone try to laminate autographed concert tickets and everything turned black including her mascara from her tears.

Don't take my word for it and do some more research. My suggestion is before you skate take a blow dryer for a minute or so and apply heat from a few inches away every once in a while and take them out of the case when you get home so they aren't in such a confined environment. Good luck!! I'm happy you have such awesome autographs on your skates!!! :hb:

Google "preserving autographs on leather" :yes:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would ring up the nearest pro shop and ask what they recommend. My immediate thought was some kind of lacquer, but you don't want to ruin the skates. Hairspray?

jennyanydots

On the Ice
If you repeatedly heat your skates you might make them break down faster. Also not a good idea if they're heat moldable. Maybe try putting an adhesive waterproof film on top, like the kind you can put over wounds. It would probably have to be regularly replaced. Not sure how much of a mess the adhesive will make though and there's always a chance that the ink will bleed up into the film. Skate tape may work if you apply it well. I think hairspray would make the ink bleed.