I'm looking for some input for a story I'm trying to write. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I'm looking for some input for a story I'm trying to write.

ScottM84

Rinkside
I thought it seemed strange that the change of edge would be the only difference, because it seems like it wouldn't be such a big deal then since it would only mean that the skater had learned the "other" jump. If there's one thing I've already learned in the process of doing research for various aspects of the book, it's to NEVER take anything for granted, so I'm glad I asked.

I may not need a lot of what I've learned in writing the book, but I feel like I have learned a lot about figure skating by asking questions here and on one other forum. You've all been a bigger help than I could ever tell. I imagine I'll probably have more questions coming, too.

ScottM84

Rinkside
I know I've been away from here for a while, but real-life events have taken up a lot of time and slowed me down with my writing. I've gotten back to it in the last few days, though, and in an upcoming chapter, there is going to be a scene set at a practice. I'd like to get some general input about the environment of a practice if you good folks don't mind.

Question 1: Typically speaking, are practices divided up according to skill level, or does everyone pretty much go at it together?

Question 2: What kind of direct interactions will the skaters have with the coach? Is there a lot of one-on-one instruction that goes on, or is it more of a group instruction environment? Would skill level have any impact on that?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) at my rink we have high level, low level, and general. The sessions are open for up to 30 (!) skaters allowed not counting coaches.

2) Some coaches are in your face and some aren't. Some are loud and others quiet. The Russian coaches at my rink are great but will tell you rather bluntly without sugar coating if you disappoint them. There are jump coaches with a harnesses on a pole( looks like a fishing rod) that prevents a skater from falling and can help give them additional height too. I've seen coaches that wear skates and others who coach from the bench. We also have coaches who strictly work on the dance aspect of the sport.

After the session there is off ice training that focuses on muscles,strength and endurance. Skaters bring their own yoga mats and workout very hard. There is down time too with lunches and basic goof off time where skaters make friends.

On ice sessions are often busy and friction is an issue when skaters get in other skaters way. Usually by accident but perception is the key. Certain coaches can become less than friendly to each other too and add that dimension to the mix. Mostly it's friendly. One thing my rink does is identify a skater who has the right of way while practicing a routine. Once you get your music cued up you then put on a vest or bright belt that signifies it's your program and other skaters are supposed to give you the right of way.

It really is pleasant at my rink but tensions run high as training is costly. Hope that helps.

ScottM84

Rinkside
Yes, that did help. I had a particular scene in mind, and I wanted to see if it might work. Based on what you said there, it seems like it could be a reasonable idea.

My thought is that Paige (the 12-year-old) sister finally nails her triple toe loop multiple times on a particular day while Paula (the 9-year-old) sister has a particularly difficult day with her double flip. Paige attracts a lot of attention, making Paula jealous. That night at home, that jealousy will flare up and lead to some conflict. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track by having both sisters on the ice at the same time and by having Paige attract so much attention.

Btw, I am working in a minor character as a friendly rival to Paige. She's just a bit behind Paige as far as her skating ability, but they push each other. I may take up the suggestion to browse the forum for ideas for her.

ScottM84

Rinkside
Another question: What would a skater do to warm up when she first steps onto the ice. I'm guessing she wouldn't go directly into triple toe loop attempts, but I have no idea how to describe her initial warm-ups.

ScottM84

Rinkside
I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I thought I'd let you all know that I finished the initial draft of my book last night.

You've got the biggest part of the work out of the way! The refinements will be easy sledding. :yes:

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
What is a change of edge?

When they change how they take off. Like a lutz is supposed to take off from a back outside edge, while the flip is supposed to take off from a back inside edge.

With a flutz, the skater takes off from the inside edge, and with a lip, the skater takes off from the outside edge. They change the edge and take off opposite of how they're supposed to.

Sorry if I'm late to the thread here, but change of edge doesn't just apply to jumps, it happens in spins and spirals among others.

Ice Dance is a whole other story. :laugh:

ScottM84

Rinkside
I still need to create a glossary for my book. Since a lot of my readers will be like me before my research and know as little (or *gasp* less) as I did about figure skating, I want to include any figure skating terms in the glossary.

For anyone willing to help me out with that, here's what I'm looking for: a definition/explanation of each of the basic jumps, of stroking, and backspins. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just tell me how you'd explain them to a non-figure skating fan, and I'll take it from there. If I need any further clarification on any of them, I'll just ask.

Btw, thanks again for all the help you've already given.

ScottM84

Rinkside
That looks great. I'll look at that more in depth when I get home tonight, but I think that's what I need. Thanks!

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
I still need to create a glossary for my book. Since a lot of my readers will be like me before my research and know as little (or *gasp* less) as I did about figure skating, I want to include any figure skating terms in the glossary.

For anyone willing to help me out with that, here's what I'm looking for: a definition/explanation of each of the basic jumps, of stroking, and backspins. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just tell me how you'd explain them to a non-figure skating fan, and I'll take it from there. If I need any further clarification on any of them, I'll just ask.

Btw, thanks again for all the help you've already given.

http://gofigureskating.com/glossary.html

http://globalnews.ca/news/1138301/do-salchows-and-twizzles-leave-your-head-spinning-figure-skating-terms-explained/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_figure_skating_terms