Another way to keep busy in the off season
Yes, I'm "stealing" this from another board:D
What are in your opinion, the 5 Greatest Pair teams of all times? (Not necessarily your favorites) You don't have to of course, but it would be interesting if everyone explains their choices too.
And you may use honorable mentions.
(I also stole my own post :D)For me the top 5 are:
1. Protopopovs: A benchmark in pairs skating history. Created several types of death spirals. Had excellent technique(not to be confussed with athleticism). Furthermore, helped create the "image" of pairs skating with their romantic programs.
2. Rodnina & Zaitsev: Speed speed and speed!!! Wonderful technique. At the same time, while the Protopopovs were known for their erethial artistry, R&Z and Rodnina & Ulanov were known for their explosive athletic quality. Tremendously influencial on pairs skating.
3. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze: Had the perfect basic skills technique of G&G as well as a flowing erethial style. Also had the speed of R&Z One of the few pairs that could cause amazement by their basic skating alone. But B&S also used innovative choreography of the Moskvina school.
4. Gordeeva & Grinkov: Excellent skating technique "text book" What made this team so amazing is that they were so young when they achieved so much, and still had great technique. Also had a flowing romantic style to their skating.
5. Mishkutneok & Dmitriev: A bench mark pair. Before, most couples relied on crossovers to get to the elements. This pair used innovative choreography to create a seemless program. One of the most innovative and influencial pairs, you can see their influence on pairs like B&S, S&Z and others. Artur also changed the dynamic of a man just presenting the ladies.