Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Pairs of All Times

Custom Title

Greatest Pairs of All Times

Another way to keep busy in the off season
    Yes, I'm "stealing" this from another board:D

What are in your opinion, the 5 Greatest Pair teams of all times? (Not necessarily your favorites) You don't have to of course, but it would be interesting if everyone explains their choices too.
    And you may use honorable mentions.

(I also stole my own post :D)For me the top 5 are:

1. Protopopovs: A benchmark in pairs skating history. Created several types of death spirals. Had excellent technique(not to be confussed with athleticism). Furthermore, helped create the "image" of pairs skating with their romantic programs.

2. Rodnina & Zaitsev: Speed speed and speed!!! Wonderful technique. At the same time, while the Protopopovs were known for their erethial artistry, R&Z and Rodnina & Ulanov were known for their explosive athletic quality. Tremendously influencial on pairs skating.

3. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze: Had the perfect basic skills technique of G&G as well as a flowing erethial style. Also had the speed of R&Z One of the few pairs that could cause amazement by their basic skating alone. But B&S also used innovative choreography of the Moskvina school.

4. Gordeeva & Grinkov: Excellent skating technique "text book" What made this team so amazing is that they were so young when they achieved so much, and still had great technique. Also had a flowing romantic style to their skating.

5. Mishkutneok & Dmitriev: A bench mark pair. Before, most couples relied on crossovers to get to the elements. This pair used innovative choreography to create a seemless program. One of the most innovative and influencial pairs, you can see their influence on pairs like B&S, S&Z and others. Artur also changed the dynamic of a man just presenting the ladies.
    Last edited by lulu; 04-06-2004 at 08:42 PM.

Rogue Leader
    In no particular order....

Gordeeva&Grinkov-they just had wonderful lines and unison.

M&D-lots or originality, and something about them just sparkled.

B&S-the most beautiful lines anywhere, but they could have used more consistency.

Pro-wise....

Brasseur&Eisler-those crazy lifts! They are the most exciting pairs team I have ever seen.

Underhill&Martini-great rapport on the ice. They sizzled. They had great programs.

Honourable mention because I really liked them...A&B. I loved their quirky moves and music. Never afraid to be different, and to try lots of new styles.

Rinkside

Greatest Pairs

I totally agree with four of your pais
    The Protopopows, Rodnina & Partners, G&G and Dimitriews & partners. Each team getting the elusive 2(or in Rodnina cases 3) Olympic gold medals. On the talent side I would also agree to B&S as the fifth great pair, but their rate at getting everything right at the night places them a bit lower for me. and I would therefore consider Valova & Vassilew as my no. 5. They were very inventive and the first couple to include triple jumbs. Another favorate and innovtive couple is Bechhke & Petrov.

Not to be accused of only supporting Russians I would also mentions Babilonia/Gardner. A few more years on the eligble scene could have ment all the difference. Re Sale & Pelletier I think they deserve special honour for reaching the top in a shorter time space than almost any other pair. I would have like them and B&S to have stayed eligble for a few more years. Then the pairs schene would really have blossomed.

Custom Title
    I really enjoy Babalonia & Gardner's 1979 LP-it was great.

They were a very talented team, and IMO probably the best US pair team. (Although my favorite US pair team is I&Z) I'm not sure if I would put them amongst the top 5, but that is my opinion.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Sale and Pelletier - Their unison and flow (so smooth). Really skate as one and connect with their music and mood.

Go NJ Devils
    I have three, in chronological order:

Protopopovs
    Gordeeva and Grinkov
    Mishkutienok and Dmitriev

I don't have tapes from Bechke and Petrov's eligible career, but I think they are the finest pros couple I've seen. Maybe they are number four.

I don't think I've seen number five yet. I have favorites, such as Abitbol and Bernadis, who could make the list as pros, and Eisler and Brasseur, but I don't think I would list them as "greatest."

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I just want to say ITA with everything you said Lulu, especially about B/S.

average opinionated skate fan
    I would also include Babilonia/Gardner in the mix of my top 5 pairs...to quote Uncle Dick..."Only the Protopopovs have better line, they are magic on the ice."

I don't think it was a few more years they needed, however new body parts would have helped. Randy's groin injury did not have the benefit of modern rehab and so turning pro was about the only option after Lake Placid. I wonder if they would have stayed around if they had won the gold at the Olympics?" Hmmmm, pure speculation now.

I've mentioned two of my favs, for my other 3 I'd simply echo the choices of the other posters....seems the Russians may have not invented pairs skating, just the ones who took it the farthest.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Dick on B/S in 98 after their gala performance at worlds: "These two are just a dream to watch."

I am happy to say that I agree with all the pairs mentioned on everyone's list (am I easy to please or what), especially G&G, followed closely for my by B&E who took pair skating to a new level with the height of their lifts, plus their power and speed during the lifts..........42

Custom Title
    I loved Bechke and Petrov. They had some of the most intricate and daring lifts, but they were always second behind G&G.

Custom Title
    My pairs are:
    1. The Protpopovs
    2. G/G
    3. Artur Dmitriev and both partners, but mostly Natalia
    4. Irina Rodnina and both partners, but mostly Zaitsev
    5. Shen/Zhao, they are the new standard and they have done so much with so little.

Honorable Mention, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, for their talent, perseverence and work ethic.

On the Ice
    I really have too many to mention but here are a few.....
    Gordeeva and Grinkov- I really didn't watch pairs skating until them. They really made me fall in love with it. Everything seemed so effortless.

Bechke and Petrov - Something about their style that I reallly just loved.

I liked Artur Dmitriev with both partners to - I think he could make me look like a good skater.

Sale and Pelltier - I really love the emotion they put into everything they do. I can really feel the emotions just watching them. I love her personality too - she's always so bubbly

Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze - I agree with lulu about their basic skating and their speed.

Argentinian wonder ;)
    G&G, they are the reason I became a fan of this sport. I don't think that ever was, or ever will be another pair like them.

Custom Title
    To me B&S are in a class of their own. I think they are the best pairs team ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast