Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greatest Pairs of All Times

Ice Angel
    I feel the same way. B/S are classical, great dance ability, and they are just the most beautiful to watch.

Re: Greatest Pairs of All Times

Originally posted by lulu
    Another way to keep busy in the off season
    Yes, I'm "stealing" this from another board:D 5.
    This is the type of topic that puts the Mods on alert Everyone has their favorites who are their greatest. We've been through many of these type of topics in Golden Skate. Hopefully, everyone understands that it is just the opinion of the writer, there does not exist a universal GREATEST
    Sometimes these types of threads bring some new information and that is always welcomed

Joe

Custom Title
    For me it will probably always be Gordeeva and Grinkov. They moved me the same way Michelle's skating does.

Custom Title

Re: Re: Greatest Pairs of All Times

Originally posted by Joesitz
    This is the type of topic that puts the Mods on alert Everyone has their favorites who are their greatest. We've been through many of these type of topics in Golden Skate. Hopefully, everyone understands that it is just the opinion of the writer, there does not exist a universal GREATEST
    Sometimes these types of threads bring some new information and that is always welcomed

Joe
    Well ofcourse I hope everyone understands that this is not the end all be all list. And of course there can never be an end all be all list, because everyone has their own opinion, and everyone's opinion is valid. I enjoy pairs skating the most, so I was interested in seeing what other people view pairs. PerhapsI should have rephrased my question better.

Custom Title
    Here are mine:

B&S:Best combination of basic skating, speed, and creative moves- the most beautiful pair.

G&G:The most perfect pair in all respects.

M&D;They added a new dimension to pairs skating through their creative moves and Artur's passion.

Protopopovs:They redefined pairs skating through their balletic style.

Rodnina-Zaitsev:Their speed and athleticism raised the bar. I don't find them as attractive as the other Russian pairs but 2x Olympic gold medallists (3x for Irina) puts them at a very high level.

Honorable mention: Bechke & Petrov, Valova-Vasiliev (both were coached by Tamara M. and were known for their innovative moves).

Vash

On the Ice
    For me it's also Gordeeva and Grinkov (like Vash :D). They were just stunning to watch and had such a magical quality combined with great technique.

Probably 2nd imo is B&S.

I am not really familiar with the skating of the Protopopov's or Rodnina. I wish I could see some of their performances since so many people talk about how great they really were.

Custom Title
    You have to look at them in the context of their era. The sport has developed a lot since they were at the top, but they contributed greatly to that development. You cannot really compare the pairs (or skaters) of the past with those of the present, and yet you don't forget about them even now. That is what makes them great.

Re: Re: Re: Greatest Pairs of All Times

Originally posted by lulu
    Well ofcourse I hope everyone understands that this is not the end all be all list. And of course there can never be an end all be all list, because everyone has their own opinion, and everyone's opinion is valid. I enjoy pairs skating the most, so I was interested in seeing what other people view pairs. PerhapsI should have rephrased my question better.
    lulu - I am really sorry for my post, and I was just to crass. Your post was fine. I read a lot of posts and can usually skim over most because I have read much the same thing many times before. However, there are new posters to GS which haven't seen the topics we carried in the past.

Also many GS posters are quite young or their interests in skating is in recent times. figure Skating has a lot of history which, imo, opinion should be respected. And moreso, I should have more respect for the new affectiionados of figure skating.

Cheers - Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2