Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Skaters who have used classical ballet music

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Ravel...

Daphnis & Chloe
    Le Tombeau de Couperin (piano version is my favorite but for a skater, the orchestration would probably work better)

Olympia -- thanks for mentioning the D'Indy; I used to love it but haven't listened to it in years! And the Classical Symphony is a wonderful idea.

Alba -- since you're a violinist, how about the Prokofiev Sonata Op. 94a? I love the original flute version but would be delighted to see it on the ice in either incarnation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Ravel...

Daphnis & Chloe
    Le Tombeau de Couperin (piano version is my favorite but for a skater, the orchestration would probably work better)

Olympia -- thanks for mentioning the D'Indy; I used to love it but haven't listened to it in years! And the Classical Symphony is a wonderful idea.

Alba -- since you're a violinist, how about the Prokofiev Sonata Op. 94a? I love the original flute version but would be delighted to see it on the ice in either incarnation.
    One of the things I liked about Sarah Hughes's Olympic long program was that it used Daphnis and Chloe. Such sumptuous music, and it is indeed a ballet. As for the D'Indy, I hadn't listened in awhile and found it again some months ago. It is so fresh and exhilarating and melodious.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

ETA: On this topic, I think a lot of Americans of today would be astonished to learn that some of the regular radio stations in this country used to play a lot more classical music, because it was considered important to the culture. NBC actually had its own orchestra, the NBC Symphony. Its conductor during its lifespan (1937 to 1954) was no less than Arturo Toscanini. The Wiki article lists an impressive list of guest conductors, as well. This orchestra was a commitment from the top down (David Sarnoff, the network chairman, spearheaded this project) to enrich the cultural lives or ordinary people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Symphony_Orchestra
    Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra were before my time, but I am aware of them. Of course, I was astonished to read that some people here were unaware that Derek from DWTS may have gotten some inspiration from old movie musicals. I just assumed everyone was aware of Fred Astaire's ceiling dance. Then again, my father was an old movie buff, so I suppose I learned more about Hollywood's Golden Age than the norm for most folks, and maybe Turner Classic Movies is not a favorite TV channel for as many people as I might think.

While I live in a small town without a lot of culture to speak of nowadays, I grew up in a neighborhood full of college professors and their children. My best friend's parents loved classical music and opera. They played it quite a lot. Also, going back to the time when my hometown was more prosperous, no doubt, music education was a big part of the public school system. In my college and grad school days, the NPR radio stations played classical music a lot. I was exposed to classical music a lot growing up, but I know my knowledge of classical music is not nearly what it could be.

Custom Title
    The great thing about radio is that its reach is so wide. And most of it is on the free airwaves, not the way TV is nowadays. The Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts used to be played on stations in many (or maybe most) parts of the country, and I've heard quite a few stories of people who grew up in tiny hamlets who got to hear the opera every week during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra were before my time, but I am aware of them. Of course, I was astonished to read that some people here were unaware that Derek from DWTS may have gotten some inspiration from old movie musicals. I just assumed everyone was aware of Fred Astaire's ceiling dance. Then again, my father was an old movie buff, so I suppose I learned more about Hollywood's Golden Age than the norm for most folks, and maybe Turner Classic Movies is not a favorite TV channel for as many people as I might think.

While I live in a small town without a lot of culture to speak of nowadays, I grew up in a neighborhood full of college professors and their children. My best friend's parents loved classical music and opera. They played it quite a lot. Also, going back to the time when my hometown was more prosperous, no doubt, music education was a big part of the public school system. In my college and grad school days, the PBS stations played classical music a lot. I was exposed to classical music a lot growing up, but I know my knowledge of classical music is not nearly what it could be.
    American culture is being murdered. Imagine when NBC Funded An orchestra and look at the tv programming now. And it is proven how valuable music education is to math scores. I can only cringe when other countries wonder what is happening and despite our Hollywood celeb based " culture.." So many ballet companies in 70's now most out of business. I know few people who appreciate figures skating. Sport, art, music, dance at its best. I have seen many nice skates in this thread.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    A bit difficult...which movement do you have in mind?

I'm surprised that no one, as far as I remember, never used Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It's one of the most beautiful violin concertos and so suitable for figure skating. In all 3 movements you can find more than 1 piece to use it for a program.

Oistrakh or Perlman version only.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4XPlhgq_k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATK_...80533920DCF6CA

Sibelius will be fine, as well.

I also would love to see some Ice Dance programs with baroque music. I think it's perfect for Ice Dance but not suitable to every couple (see Dankova&Stravinsky OD 2003 ) and above all the choreo is very important otherwise the result would be just boring. If it's done properly though it can be a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    American culture is being murdered. Imagine when NBC Funded An orchestra and look at the tv programming now.
    True.

And it is proven how valuable music education is to math scores.
    I had no idea about this but it does make sense. In fact Harmony is like math, if not harder to learn.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    The great thing about radio is that its reach is so wide. And most of it is on the free airwaves, not the way TV is nowadays. The Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts used to be played on stations in many (or maybe most) parts of the country, and I've heard quite a few stories of people who grew up in tiny hamlets who got to hear the opera every week during the season.
    Yes, radio was wonderful that way. The NPR stations in my area barely play any music at all anymore, let alone classical. They are mostly news and talk all day. So many people listen to satellite radio and iPods in their cars now, too, so there is probably less exposure to classical music now. I mean, unless someone is seeking out classical music and already has an interest in it, it's not as readily available over the radio as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    So many people listen to satellite radio and iPods in their cars now, too, so there is probably less exposure to classical music now. I mean, unless someone is seeking out classical music and already has an interest in it, it's not as readily available over the radio as it used to be.
    In Italy as well is more or less the same. Fortunately we still have Radio Rai (public service) who does play classical music, opera etc.
    I think that's why is important to have a public service TV (although Rai quality is not the same as it used to be) and Radio.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I'm surprised that no one, as far as I remember, never used Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It's one of the most beautiful violin concertos and so suitable for figure skating. In all 3 movements you can find more than 1 piece to use it for a program.
    A favorite of mine.

Well, there was this program. Unfortunately the performance with which he won bronze at US Nationals that year never made it to TV; it was, well, chacked.

IIRC Jennifer Robinson also used it a couple years later, but it's not on youtube.

Not a competitive program, but in the process of searching I just found it to watch for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    A favorite of mine.

Well, there was this program. Unfortunately the performance with which he won bronze at US Nationals that year never made it to TV; it was, well, chacked.

Never seen this one before. I don't like the editing but I appreciate that he used this piece. It's wonderful.

IIRC Jennifer Robinson also used it a couple years later, but it's not on youtube.

Not a competitive program, but in the process of searching I just found it to watch for the first time
    WOW! Thank you.
    Now here is the right editing IMO, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Lambiel. He is one of the few skaters who does have the music in his soul and body. Very sensitive about it.

I was waiting a Lambiel program. I can't imagine that he has no ballet program.

On same show Golden Skate Awards 2012 Plushenko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8fQK-Io7A Part of this program is the Swan Lake

And I almost forgot them: Plushenko Don Quixote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZoZWEzCYQ he was 13 he skated as his idol, Viktor Petrenko

Swan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4B_82LfJ8Q He was 16 gala program

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    A bit difficult...which movement do you have in mind?

Oistrakh or Perlman version only.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4XPlhgq_k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATK_...80533920DCF6CA

Sibelius will be fine, as well. .
    Carolina Kostner used the 3rd movement as part of her 2010 SP. It wasn't her most successful year but I think she skated it well.

Your mention of Oistrakh reminds me of back when I was learning the concerto in high school. My teacher told me to listen to the Oistrakh version but my secret goal was to play it as quickly as Heifetz. I even tried out his ossias (slightly different from Auer's) for the arpeggiated passages in the 1st movement right before the first big tutti and before the coda.

Another violin concerto I think could work well on the ice is the Walton concerto. Prokofiev 1 and 2 might be interesting to see as well.

Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig skated to the Pas de Deux from The Nutcracker @ the 2009 US Nationals in Cleveland, Ohio. They were terrific in their free skate, finished 4th, got a huge standing ovation, but NBC didn't bother to show the program in their coverage (it was just before 4 PM that afternoon).

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Carolina Kostner used the 3rd movement as part of her 2010 SP. It wasn't her most successful year but I think she skated it well.
    Yes but it was a very small part in a 3:50 min program. Not much for me.

Your mention of Oistrakh reminds me of back when I was learning the concerto in high school. My teacher told me to listen to the Oistrakh version but my secret goal was to play it as quickly as Heifetz.
    Your teacher was right, but I understand you. At that age in school I liked to play fast too, it's more fun.
    Well, it's Heifetz after all, not at all a bad example. Anne-Sophie Mutter plays like that as well. For me she is a Beethoven girl not Tchaikovsky or even Bach.
    Oistrakh and Perlman are the best because they let the notes breath. They play all the notes, if I may use that term.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Davis and White did Giselle. The Schedrin version, Carmen Suite,used by Virtue & Moir and Cappellini and Lanotte is the ballet Carmen, not the opera. Scheherazade also has an associated ballet. So ballet is used a lot.

There are some restrictions on the use of ballet music in ice dance, though, since only pieces with a defined beat are allowed.

And millions of little skaters have used this or that part of the Nutcracket.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3