Kim Yu-Na says goodbye to figure skating, acting career next? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-Na says goodbye to figure skating, acting career next?

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Yuna recently applied to graduate school in Korea, so it's pretty clear she's not pursuing an acting career. (Please don't tell me Korean actors need a Masters or PhD? :laugh:)
Not required but it's true that many korean actors have master's degree, lol

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Yuna recently applied to graduate school in Korea, so it's pretty clear she's not pursuing an acting career. (Please don't tell me Korean actors need a Masters or PhD? :laugh:)

She's also been seen spending a bit of time in LA just recently helping her fellow Korean skaters at the East West rink. So I think she'll continue to be very involved with Figure Skating and probably Olympic sports in general. Heck with the Olympics in Korea in 2018 she won't be able to avoid it anyways.

Why are they training at EastWest? I know Korean rinks are lacking but it's interesting to me that they'd go all the way to LA. I just hope Kwan and Kim continue their friendship and it'd be nice if Yuna spends more time there even though kwan's usually in RI :love:

Actually, Park So Youn and Kim Jin Seo are incredibly promising

jimeonji

Final Flight
Why are they training at EastWest? I know Korean rinks are lacking but it's interesting to me that they'd go all the way to LA. I just hope Kwan and Kim continue their friendship and it'd be nice if Yuna spends more time there even though kwan's usually in RI :love:

So Youn, yes. Jin Seo, meh. :slink: Has he even got his 3a? I really want some good men's singles for Korea but that seems a bit unlikely for now...

s_parks

Record Breaker
So Youn, yes. Jin Seo, meh. :slink: Has he even got his 3a? I really want some good men's singles for Korea but that seems a bit unlikely for now...

I would say Cha Jun Hwan seems really promising if he weren't so young... it's never a good idea to be hyping up 12 year olds. aside from him, i don't really know a men's singles skater that's as promising as the ladies are.

I don't think "all the way to LA" is that far away, relatively speaking. It's on the West Coast, and there's probably no comparable facility that the Koreans would feel comfortable with between Korea and California. I haven't heard of anything in Hawaii or Australia, for example. It's certainly closer to Korea than Brian Orser's facility. There's probably a good-sized Korean community in Los Angeles as well, so the skaters could eat familiar food and speak Korean when they wanted to. Also, there's that special link between the Kwans and YuNa.

As for acting, there may be some training needed; I've met some aspiring actors, and the most committed ones do study things like voice and character-building techniques. It isn't necessarily something you can just stroll in and do. That being said, however, there is a history in this country at least of "outsiders" (non-actors from the sports and entertainment fields) who demonstrate a natural gift for it, either with or without training. Some examples: country singer Dolly Parton (whose range is narrow, but within that range she's utterly convincing, as is shown in Steel Magnolias) football player Alex Karras (who became an accomplished and versatile character actor), and Cher (who is always interesting, can build a character, and has won an Oscar). On the other hand, Tara Lipinski and Sasha Cohen did not make it into the ranks of believable actors.

Krislite

Medalist

No idea why they chose that facility in particular, but Yuna did train there before with Oppegard for 2011 Worlds. So it is the second of two overseas facilities where she spent a lot of time training (the other being the Cricket Club in Toronto).

It's not known if they'll be training there permanently, but I imagine they're seriously considering it since it worked well for Yuna herself. The facilities in Korea are only gonna get more crowded with the Olympics being in town.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I now imagine her as a bloody victim or vengeful assassin in a film by Park Chan-Wook. Something super-violent that will destroy her image as the serene ice queen, at least on-screen. Or she can just do one of those Korean soap operas, which by the way are really, really addictive to watch!

desertskates

Medalist
I have a feeling she'll follow up the completion of her schooling with marriage and a child or two. She seems like the girl that can "have it all". :)