Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

Custom Title
    Ben Whishaw, who played Q in Skyfall, is the replacement of Colin Flirth's Paddington. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...ar-colin-firth

Apart from Skyfall, I've only seen Perfume in which he was very captivated. Amazing talented for a young actor. For some reasons, I've never got around to see Cloud Atlas. Might be a good time to watch it one of these days.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Ben Whishaw, who played Q in Skyfall, is the replacement of Colin Flirth's Paddington. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...ar-colin-firth

Apart from Skyfall, I've only seen Perfume in which he was very captivated. Amazing talented for a young actor. For some reasons, I've never got around to see Cloud Atlas. Might be a good time to watch it one of these days.
    I LOVE Ben Whishaw! Have you seen a shortcut of his Hamlet? Absolutely talented!

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post

Ahh then you simply have to watch The Hour! He is spectacular in that, as is Romola Garai (although I'm not a huge fan of hers otherwise)

Custom Title
    She was good in Daniel Deronda, I thought:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321897/...nm_flmg_act_22

As was the rest of the cast - Hugh Dancy, Jodhi May and Hugh Bonnneville among them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    She was good in Daniel Deronda, I thought:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321897/...nm_flmg_act_22

As was the rest of the cast - Hugh Dancy, Jodhi May and Hugh Bonnneville among them.
    I agree that this was a wonderful production! In addition to the great performances (oh, Hugh Dancy is yummy), the story is so powerful. I had been unfamiliar with the George Eliot book, and I was astonished to find that a "mainstream" person of that era could write with such sympathy for and admiration of Jews. It was the same reaction I had when I read the Conan Doyle story "The Adventure of the Yellow Face," which showed in a very favorable light a marriage between a white Englishwoman and a black American, and the daughter they had. Always heartening when someone is able to transcend the prejudices of his or her time and place.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree that this was a wonderful production! In addition to the great performances (oh, Hugh Dancy is yummy), the story is so powerful. I had been unfamiliar with the George Eliot book, and I was astonished to find that a "mainstream" person of that era could write with such sympathy for and admiration of Jews. It was the same reaction I had when I read the Conan Doyle story "The Adventure of the Yellow Face," which showed in a very favorable light a marriage between a white Englishwoman and a black American, and the daughter they had. Always heartening when someone is able to transcend the prejudices of his or her time and place.
    Indeed! Instead of being amazed when it turns out that books reflect the prejudices and norms of the era - which I rather exepect - I am far more affected when they do not. It gives one hope, does it not? One of the reasons - though not, I confess, the strongest reason, as I must admit that the greatest reason is that... well, this just looks like my cup of tea - I'm really looking forward to watching Belle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94LgIVL-UlQ

Based on a true story too... so it is even more affecting in that aspect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Elizabeth_Belle

If I had come across a fiction story with this plot.. I would not have believed in it.

Custom Title
    @ LRK:

Yes, Belle does seem to be unbelievable, except for the fact that it apparently happened. Whenever some version of a Montague and some version of a Capulet fall for each other, each seeing the other's humanity rather than an unbridgeable gap, it's pretty astonishing. Even today there are still occasions when this seems an amazing outcome. (And one that can be very dangerous for the participants, unfortunately.)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love books & writers like that, too! I'm a big 19th century English lit buff.

I think you'd appreciate Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - both the book and the tv productions. There are two pretty recent ones, London Weekend Television's 3-hour mini-series directed by Ian Sharp and starring Justine Waddell and Oliver Milburn as Angel from 1998 & a four-hour BBC adaptation from 2008 starring Gemma Arterton and Eddie Redmayne as Angel. Sidenote: How HOT is Eddie Redmayne ? I've always had a thing for gingers so was very lucky I got to study & work in Britain in my single years

I can't remember if I've seen the BBC version, but I can heartily recommend the 1998 adaptation. Justine Waddell is simply breathtaking as Tess, so vulnerable and at the same time so strong and determined. And Oliver Milburn is exactly how I imagined Angel when I read the book. I still read it about once a year, there's just something new to be found every time.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Ahh then you simply have to watch The Hour! He is spectacular in that, as is Romola Garai (although I'm not a huge fan of hers otherwise)
    Yes he was really good in The Hour, but I thought that series was a lost opportunity. The subject and the idea behind was very good.
    Didn't like the script and how it developed though.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    I've started watching The Hour on Netflix. Not completely convinced yet but like the basic premise a lot so am trying to give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    I've started watching The Hour on Netflix. Not completely convinced yet but like the basic premise a lot so am trying to give it a chance.
    Hope you can see it through - the 2nd season is especially good when they get into the anti-homosexual laws of the time in Britain

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    The main problem I had with this series was some of the characters and the writing. Romola Garai's character was suppose to be a brilliant young producer and a pioneer really. The problem is that you don't see that at all. You know that she is brilliant and intelligent because this is what is told to you, as a viewer, but I failed to see all that.
    On the contrary, all I could see was a woman using her lipstick 100 times per day. Wearing good clothes and yearning for a man.
    You could see glimse of brilliance in Anna Chancellor's character, as the journalist of the foreign desk, mainly because she is a very good actress, but she was ill-used. Same goes for Anton Lesser's character in series 1 and Peter Capaldi's character, as head of the news in series 2.
    I also think the direction was very weak.

The only two well-defined character are Dominic West (although pretty dull character) and Ben Whishaw. Too little to save the series.
    As I said, good ideas and good settings. Poor implementation in the end and a lost opportunity.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Thank you. I think I will watch it one of these days. I heard a lot of negative review last year and after the show got cancel I lost my interest. But you make me a bit curious so I might watch it.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12