The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses. | Page 11 | Golden Skate

The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

LRK

Record Breaker
:clap: Only Fools and Horses is so classic. :love: Can't believe some lads from this so-called "Cool" generation think it is lame. :rolleye:

Some people are just too cool to enjoy themselves, BusyMom. Thank goodness this has never been my problem. ;)

ETA - I see that there is actually a new Only Fools And Horses movie I haven't seen - Beckham in Peckham:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3672826/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

ETA 2 - Drat! I should have read further... It's not a movie at all - it's only 10 minutes... I'm so disappointed!

BusyMom

Medalist

BusyMom

Medalist
Since Michael Caine seems to be the most popular in this thread, I need to bring up another one of his movies, Without A Clue. Ben Kingsley played Dr. Watson who hired Caine to play the part of his fictional Holmes. Two great actors and amazing twisted to a famous storyline, what a genius.

BTW...who is your favourite Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I went searching for Only Fools and Horses on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video but no luck. The DVDs are very pricey, too. Guess I'll just have to be content w/ YouTube...

Favorite Sherlock Holmes? Jeremy Brett, for sure! :yay:

Since Michael Caine seems to be the most popular in this thread, I need to bring up another one of his movies, Without A Clue. Ben Kingsley played Dr. Watson who hired Caine to play the part of his fictional Holmes. Two great actors and amazing twisted to a famous storyline, what a genius.

I have yet to see that movie, but it sounds splendid! I have two rather unusual favorite Holmes movies. One is The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, from about 1970, which should be more famous on the strength of its pedigree alone. It was one of the last movies directed by Billy Wilder, I believe. The music score is one of the last (and one of the most beautiful) by Miklos Rozsa (El Cid, Ivanhoe, Ben Hur), and Christopher Lee plays Mycroft (thereby becoming perhaps the only actor to play both Holmes brothers). The Holmes is Robert Stephens, very smooth. I believe that Colin Blakely is the Watson. Worth seeking out!

The other one, more intense and more convoluted, is Murder by Decree. This one has star power all over it, and each actor builds a character powerfully, from Christopher Plummer (a mannerism-free Holmes) through James Mason (perhaps my favorite Watson except for Martin Freeman: smart, loyal, benevolent) to the likes of David Hemmings, Donald Sutherland, John Gielgud, the lesser-known Susan Clark, and Genevieve Bujold. It's a Jack the Ripper story, using one of the many theories that still float around. Very effective and atmospheric.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks, Olympia! After reading a raft of negative reviews of both of those Holmes films on Netflix, I decided to give them a miss but will check them out on the strength of your recommendation.

Alba

Record Breaker
My favourite Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett without a doubt.
My favorite Watson is James Mason and Martin Freeman.

Thanks, Olympia! After reading a raft of negative reviews of both of those Holmes films on Netflix, I decided to give them a miss but will check them out on the strength of your recommendation.

I hope I haven't misled you. Tastes differ! Let me know.

Part of the criticism might come from Holmes purists; neither of these films is straight-down-the-line Baker Street.

Alba

Record Breaker
I hope I haven't misled you. Tastes differ! Let me know.

Part of the criticism might come from Holmes purists; neither of these films is straight-down-the-line Baker Street.

I agree with you Olympia. It's a good movie and very atmospheric, as you said.
Genevieve Bujold was great in that role.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Jeremy Brett, no doubt about it. :love:
As for the modern series, I think Benedict Cumberbatch did quite a good job. I dislike his face, seriously, but he is a good actor.
Dr. Watson of Granada tv is still my favorite. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
and Christopher Lee plays Mycroft (thereby becoming perhaps the only actor to play both Holmes brothers).
:yay: I was going to post Christopher Lee is my choice for Holmes last night. But got important call so had to run. :laugh:

For Dr. Watson I like Martin Freeman (anyway I love all his works).

BusyMom

Medalist
Since we will be seeing loads of POTO programs this season, why don't we look back into the guys who made it phenomenon. Last year ITV produced special show to honour Andrew Lloyed Webber called 40 Musical Years.

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0a5t4qt480
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPw67_2dfiY
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HrHFbEy5w

And of course no one else but our Michael Caine is included in the show ( right at the beginning).
Ben Forster, who is a very big star in the UK right now because his Jesus' role in Jesus Christ Superstar, also performed in the show.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just back on the forum after a couple of weeks away, and was surprised that nobody has mentioned that the British film industry recently lost one of its biggest stars, Richard Attenborough.

BBC Story
BBC Obituary

He died on 24th August, 5 days short of his 91st birthday. He fell in 2008 when he had a stroke, and had been in a wheelchair ever since. Meanwhile his wife, actress Sheila Sim, developed Senile Dementia. The result was that for the past year and a half they were living together in a nursing home.

Because of my age, the first time I came across Richard Attenborough was in "Jurassic Park". But I have since seen him in some of his earlier films, such as "The Great Escape".

Ironically for somebody who was such a great actor in his own right, his biggest success was actually when he was on the other side of the camera. I am of course talking about when he directed one of the most epic films of all time, "Gandhi".

Ever since I heard the sad news, I have not been able to get the "Jurassic Park Overture" out of my head. So, seeing as this is a figure skating site, perhaps it would be fitting to remember Dickie by watching Tonya's FS from the 1994 Olympics.

Although he is gone, Richard Attenborough's memory will live on forever in all his great films.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

CaroLiza_fan

BusyMom

Medalist
Just back on the forum after a couple of weeks away, and was surprised that nobody has mentioned that the British film industry recently lost one of its biggest stars, Richard Attenborough.

BBC Story
BBC Obituary

He died on 24th August, 5 days short of his 91st birthday. He fell in 2008 when he had a stroke, and had been in a wheelchair ever since. Meanwhile his wife, actress Sheila Sim, developed Senile Dementia. The result was that for the past year and a half they were living together in a nursing home.

Because of my age, the first time I came across Richard Attenborough was in "Jurassic Park". But I have since seen him in some of his earlier films, such as "The Great Escape".

Ironically for somebody who was such a great actor in his own right, his biggest success was actually when he was on the other side of the camera. I am of course talking about when he directed one of the most epic films of all time, "Gandhi".

Ever since I heard the sad news, I have not been able to get the "Jurassic Park Overture" out of my head. So, seeing as this is a figure skating site, perhaps it would be fitting to remember Dickie by watching Tonya's FS from the 1994 Olympics.

Although he is gone, Richard Attenborough's memory will live on forever in all his great films.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

CaroLiza_fan

And The Miracle on 34th Street....

We had a Jurassic Park marathon during the weekend too. Sad... :cry:

RIP .