Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

Custom Title
    Good look definitely is not the requirement in GB. Just a sided-benefit maybe. Most of them are not really the hot-hot guys but kinda cute and goofy hot (Jude Law is an exception obviously).

Since LRK brought up Bill Nighy, Love Actually is one good example how good the Brits are. Each one of them has a very small part but they were so good at it making the whole movie up the notch from the stereo-typed chick movies. Rickman and Andrew Lincoln characters are my favourite. Not so sure why but I never into Emma Thompson acting.

Custom Title
    Bill Nighy is great - how good do you have to be to be able to bring personality and character - and charisma - with a squid on your face?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Good look definitely is not the requirement in GB. Just a sided-benefit maybe. Most of them are not really the hot-hot guys but kinda cute and goofy hot (Jude Law is an exception obviously).
    Friends and I have talked about this and have decided that in the U.S., actors are more likely to be chosen and become successful for their looks. This includes a handsome face of course, but also a well-toned body thanks to a personal trainer and lots of time at the gym. Training means muscle training rather than vocal technique; the quality of the voice is irrelevant. The opposite is true in the U.K., I think. Men train in all sorts of vocal and acting techniques, including accents, and if they're not gorgeous, they still can play leading men. (As you point out, Jude Law is an exception. Yum!) In fact, it's astonishing how many "American" roles on TV in the past few years have been played quite convincingly by Brits and Australians, including Steve McGarrett of Hawaii Five-0 and the lead in The Mentalist. There were recently two Bravo crime series set in American rural areas, The Glades (in Florida) and Longmire (set in the West), and both main actors were from I think Australia. By contrast, most Americans who affect a British accent sound just that: affected. I do think that Ann Hathaway did a splendid job as Jane Austen in Becoming Jane, though...but she is theater-trained and has a beautiful speaking voice to begin with.

Custom Title
    Well, I believe most British actors are classically trained, and do theatre work - and all that Shakespeare is going to do wonders for your voice training. (Imagine someone droning on for five minutes or so in one of those monologues with a bad voice/no emotion/feeling... )

I have a soft spot for Simon Baker because he's the spitting image of an ex-boyfriend 10 years ago - seriously the best looking guy I'd ever seen live then and since No surprise it didn't last - no way I could have been that lucky

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I have a soft spot for Simon Baker because he's the spitting image of an ex-boyfriend 10 years ago - seriously the best looking guy I'd ever seen live then and since No surprise it didn't last - no way I could have been that lucky
    Gee, if you dated someone who looked like Simon Baker, you did have some luck! Nice that you have that memory to savor.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Gee, if you dated someone who looked like Simon Baker, you did have some luck! Nice that you have that memory to savor.
    I still can't quite believe that ever happened! I'm Facebook friends with the guy and he still looks exactly like Baker. My husband on the other hand looks like Edward James Olmos I never was into the usual pretty boys so it figures I would end up with somebody who has a face for radio rather than tv

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Just had a peak into this thread after not looking at it for a few days, and noticed that we are now talking about Simon Baker.

Erm, sorry to disappoint you, but you do realise that he's Australian rather than British.

I have to be honest - I have never watched "The Mentalist". But when Channel 5 got the rights a few years back, they started showing adverts for it featuring Simon. And my first thought was "Hey, is that your fella out of 'Home and Away'?" So, I went straight onto t'internet and, sure enough, it was.

Here is a screenshot of him in the house where Irene Roberts now lives:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...be8o2_1280.png

Simon played James Healey back in 1994. Considering it was so long ago, and he was in it for only a few months, I was amazed that I remembered him! But, I would never have missed H&A back then. It was a case of come home from school, do homework, watch Home and Away, have tea!

Although I left Summer Bay for a few years in the late-90's, I soon came back, and have barely missed an episode since!

But it was only there now, when I was looking for a photo of him from his time in Summer Bay, that I discovered that Simon Baker is actually from Tasmania!

Maybe that explains his devilish good looks...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that line!!!)

CaroLiza_fan

I believe the poster who first mentioned Baker preceded it by "British and Australian actors" so yes

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I believe the poster who first mentioned Baker preceded it by "British and Australian actors" so yes
    Thanks, TMC. Yes, Carol_Liza Fan, I did know about Baker's origin. Actually, I think all four of the guys I cited in that earlier post are from Oz, including Alex O'Loughlin of Hawaii Five-0, Matt Passmore of The Glades, and Robert Taylor of Longmire (the Aussie namesake of an earlier American movie star, but no relation--the original Robert Taylor was actually born Spangler Arlington Brugh, if memory serves me). I often refer to "Commonwealth" accents to encompass them all, especially since so many actors from Oz and New Zealand now star in fantasy movies filmed in NZ.

TMC, if your spouse looks like Edward James Olmos, your luck has held. He's very handsome in a different way from Baker, as bronze is to mercury, so to speak, and his dramatic output is admirable, from Stand and Deliver to that splendid set of West Wing episodes where he played a Supreme Court nominee.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    I absolutely LOVE British mystery shows and comedies.... That is all that my parents and I can watch together and agree on, haha.
    I'm not saying that these individuals are necessarily widely known greats, but....they were great in the roles I've included!

T.V.
    David Suchet - Poirot
    John Nettles - Midsomer Murders
    Robson Green - Wire in the Blood and Case Histories
    Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock, The Last Enemy, etc.
    Martin Clunes - Doc Martin
    Dawn French - Vicar of Dibley

And then...I've always loved Julie Andrews! And Maggie Smith... Honestly, there are tons of great actors and actresses from Britain! (I was just trying to name some people who haven't been named here already....and I know I'm forgetting other personal favs.)

EDIT: And personally I'm not a Keira Knightley fan....but she has done very well! Oh! And Emma Watson has done well too...and I do like her, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks, TMC. Yes, Carol_Liza Fan, I did know about Baker's origin. Actually, I think all four of the guys I cited in that earlier post are from Oz, including Alex O'Loughlin of Hawaii Five-0, Matt Passmore of The Glades, and Robert Taylor of Longmire (the Aussie namesake of an earlier American movie star, but no relation--the original Robert Taylor was actually born Spangler Arlington Brugh, if memory serves me). I often refer to "Commonwealth" accents to encompass them all, especially since so many actors from Oz and New Zealand now star in fantasy movies filmed in NZ.

TMC, if your spouse looks like Edward James Olmos, your luck has held. He's very handsome in a different way from Baker, as bronze is to mercury, so to speak, and his dramatic output is admirable, from Stand and Deliver to that splendid set of West Wing episodes where he played a Supreme Court nominee.
    You're right about Olmos, he is very attractive to me! But if you were to put him next to, say, Brad Pitt, I believe the vast majority of women would choose Pitt. Not me - I wouldn't know what to do with such a quantity of gorgeous. Always thought that men with imperfections are much sexier. Like when I was twelve and all my girl friends were all about Corey Haim, I'd gush over Corey Feldman instead

We just started re-watching the West Wing and yes, EJO just gets better with age

ETA I hadn't realised this but I too kind of think of Commonwealth performers as "British"...

Custom Title
    I've never understood what's so terribly attractive about Brad Pitt...

ETA - I realised I probably should have added:

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I've never understood what's so terribly attractive about Brad Pitt...
    ETA - I realised I probably should have added:
    As well as the attractiveness of Ryan Gosling. I mean.. I have nothing against him but I don't find him that charming.

I would rather watch British show all days because someone like Judi Dench, Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman...can hold my gaze for longer than I can tell.

Custom Title
    This evening after Dancing with the Stars, I found the lovely little film 84 Charing Cross Road playing on a movie channel. Anthony Hopkins (one of the voices of the century) and Anne Bancroft sparkled, and I remembered them from my first viewing of the movie years ago. But I hadn't remembered that the wife of Hopkins' character was portrayed by Judi Dench! She just melted into the part. I recommend it to all who love modest little movies and also to all bookworms, because the plot concerns a correspondence of several decades between an American woman and the London booksellers from whom she ordered books (and to whom she and her friends sent food parcels during the lean years of postwar British food rationing). It's based on real events as written about by Bancroft's character, Helene Hanff.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast