Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Although I left Summer Bay for a few years in the late-90's, I soon came back, and have barely missed an episode since!
    CaroLiza_fan
    I'm guilty of being a Summer Bay's Fan too, and also the Ramsay Street's(but not so much after they kept killing the characters with the tragic plot).

It is amazing how these kids parades to Hollywood in the past recent years. Christ Hemsworth and Isla Fisher are doing very well. The first time I saw Jesse Spencer in House MD, I'm kind of ( awww little Billy all grown up).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This evening after Dancing with the Stars, I found the lovely little film 84 Charing Cross Road playing on a movie channel. Anthony Hopkins (one of the voices of the century) and Anne Bancroft sparkled, and I remembered them from my first viewing of the movie years ago. But I hadn't remembered that the wife of Hopkins' character was portrayed by Judi Dench! She just melted into the part. I recommend it to all who love modest little movies and also to all bookworms, because the plot concerns a correspondence of several decades between an American woman and the London booksellers from whom she ordered books (and to whom she and her friends sent food parcels during the lean years of postwar British food rationing). It's based on real events as written about by Bancroft's character, Helene Hanff.
    I got the book as a birthday present and love it so much I kept buying them to my friends too. But only watched the movie once a long time ago. Thank you for bringing up. It is time to walk down the memory lane.

Custom Title
    The mention of House - which I haven't seen (yet) - brings us nicely and neatly, methinks to... Hugh Laurie.

Anyone who has not yet seen Jeeves and Wooster should do themselves the favour of remedying this strange omission forthwith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvddpX1uYA

Marvellous.

Custom Title
    BBC One will show "From There to Here" tonight. It is a three parts miniseries about the victims of Manchester bombing in 1996. I saw Bernard Hill name on the cast. So will be watching. He is the actor who played King Théoden in The Lord of the Rings. I read it somewhere that he almost got the Gandalf role at first. Not really well-known name but he has many great roles on TV.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    The British actors are the greatest, at least for me.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Lawrence Olivier, John Gielgud, Michael Redgrave, Richard Harris, Ian Richardson, Oliver Reed, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Ian MacKellen, Alec Guinness, Jeremy Irons, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave,Hellen Mirren, Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Miranda Richardson, Brenda Blythen, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Tilda Swinton, Emma Thompson and I love Julie Walters too .

I mean this country is a world treasure when it comes to acting. Just to die for.
    I also do love their tv series and movies. Especially tv series which I prefer most.

I also strongly reccomend for those who like and watch The House of Cards USA, to watch the UK version.
    Absolutely fabulous and Ian Richardson there is simply MAGNIFICENT!

Custom Title
    I haven't even seen it yet - only bits & pieces - and even so Ian Richardson exudes such ruthless coldness that he positively scares me! (I've taped it, though, so we will get around to watching it eventually - we're just... er... a bit... hm... behindhand. Just almost a decade. No biggie... ETA: Clarification: I mean on the stuff I've taped. )

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    and even so Ian Richardson exudes such ruthless coldness that he positively scares me!
    He is isnt' he? A fabulous actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    The British actors are the greatest, at least for me.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Lawrence Olivier, John Gielgud, Michael Redgrave, Richard Harris, Ian Richardson, Oliver Reed, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Ian MacKellen, Alec Guinness, Jeremy Irons, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave,Hellen Mirren, Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Miranda Richardson, Brenda Blythen, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Tilda Swinton, Emma Thompson and I love Julie Walters too .

I mean this country is a world treasure when it comes to acting. Just to die for.
    I also do love their tv series and movies. Especially tv series which I prefer most.

I also strongly reccomend for those who like and watch The House of Cards USA, to watch the UK version.
    Absolutely fabulous and Ian Richardson there is simply MAGNIFICENT!
    Oh my I LOVE HoC US and am currently persuading hubby to watch the UK original as I'm sure it will be mazing. Also, throwback to tacky 80s/90s fashions

I prefer UK TV for some reasons (lived there for some 8 years so culturally closer, their scripts are often stellar - intelligent and witty, the actors divine) and US TV for others (production value, sometimes a gem of a script, crazy reality shows)

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    He is isnt' he? A fabulous actor.
    Right? Ian Richardson & Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) - two men I would not want to wake up in the middle of the night for no reason

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Oh my I LOVE HoC US and am currently persuading hubby to watch the UK original as I'm sure it will be mazing. Also, throwback to tacky 80s/90s fashions

I prefer UK TV for some reasons (lived there for some 8 years so culturally closer, their scripts are often stellar - intelligent and witty, the actors divine) and US TV for others (production value, sometimes a gem of a script, crazy reality shows)
    I understand that the UK version of the "first season" ended quite differently - I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happens in the UK one (via clips and things on BBC Prime when they were showing it, and I taped it), but I'm pretending I don't. ("I did not see that - la la la" basically. ) The reason why I said "first season" is that the follow up series aren't called House of Cards, but something else - one is called To Play the King, I think, but there's one I'm forgetting - maybe Alba can help?

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Right? Ian Richardson & Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) - two men I would not want to wake up in the middle of the night for no reason
    Yes, Charles Dance is great as Tywin Lannister.
    You are right about US TV series, production value are their forte, but if I have to choose between production values and script+acting I would choose the later.
    Take Homeland for example, the first season was very good but for me it went down the hill. The original series from Israel is a masterpiece. The production values are not so good, I think they had a small budget but the script and the actors are just amazing.
    I was impressed. One of the best series I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I understand that the UK version of the "first season" ended quite differently - I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happens in the UK one (via clips and things on BBC Prime when they were showing it, and I taped it), but I'm pretending I don't. ("I did not see that - la la la" basically. ) The reason why I said "first season" is that the follow up series aren't called House of Cards, but something else - one is called To Play the King, I think, but there's one I'm forgetting - maybe Alba can help?
    It's trilogy and the last one is The Final Cut. It's not so different from the USA actually, the essence is the same.
    It's just that in England you have the King so Richardson is fighting him, while in USA there is the President but the idea is the same.
    The ending of the first season in the UK version is actually like in the first episode of the second season of the USA version.
    I think in USA they didn't want to close that chapter with the season 1 finale.

Custom Title
    Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart are the new internet sensations.
    http://www.empireonline.com/features...en-internet/p1

Former rivalry turns BFF. Hope they'll have some new projects together soon.

Julie Andrews, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Angela Lansbury (she's of British descent, right)?

I always liked Richard Burton because of his role as King Arthur in the original Broadway Cast of "Camelot" (together with "my" Julie )

Is Colin Firth British? He was magnificent in The King's Speech!

Custom Title
    Good choices, Iluvtodd! I believe you're right about Lansbury's being British, and she certainly rates.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Julie Andrews, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Angela Lansbury (she's of British descent, right)?

I always liked Richard Burton because of his role as King Arthur in the original Broadway Cast of "Camelot" (together with "my" Julie )

Is Colin Firth British? He was magnificent in The King's Speech!
    Colin Firth is about as British as they come I adore him - he's got the good looks of a young (and old) Hugh Grant but as an actor his scope is much wider. By the way, it's often been noted that Charlie White looks a bit like young Colin Firth

Colin was amazing in The English Patient - if you haven't seen that film in a while, I recommend another viewing just to pay attention to Mr Firth. He's very subtle but very powerful in a relatively small role.

Custom Title
    I know the film Shakespeare in Love is very popular, but it didn't work for me. I won't go into all the "why's" and "wherefore's", but one of the reasons was that, apparently, I was supposed to feel sorry for Gwyneth Paltrow because her character ended up married to... Colin Firth? Yes, a suitably and convincingly caddish Colin Firth - but still... Colin Firth? Well, cry me a river...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast