1. Plushenko
2. Joubert
3. Weir
4. Weiss
5. Lysacek
6. Goebel

jesslily

Final Flight
USFSA site has an article, but what version of Swan Lake did Sasha do and which custome did she wear? It sounds like she did better than at worlds. Great for her to be able to win this event.

Enero

On the Ice
From the picture I saw ( I think it was from that competition), Sasha wore the old SL costume.

Glad to hear that she skated perfectly and from understand, she landed 6 triples.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I went to the Marshalls cheesefest last night and it was actually really fun! Great performances, especially by the ladies. I didn't take notes as I was watching--sorry, didn't think of it--but I've written up some notes here of what I remember.

LADIES
(in skating order)

Shizuka Arakawa
Shizuka came out first and she skated great!! In fact, she was every bit as good as at Worlds. She landed 7 clean triples, including two triple/triple combinations. And her presentation was very nice. Her big Ina Bauer at the end of the program was a highlight. I think my only criticisms would be that the program is very front-loaded, and also, she has quite a noticeable lean on her jump landings (even when they're clean). Surprisingly, she didn't seem to be a crowd favorite. There was polite applause after her program but it wasn't enthusiastic. She got all 5.8s for technical merit and 5.7s and 5.8s for presentation, I think.

Michelle Kwan
Michelle skated next. She had a good, solid performance, but it wasn't one of her best. She singled a double Axel and doubled her second triple Lutz (as she did at Worlds). Her presentation was very nice, though, and her spins were good and fast with lovely positions. I thought the Tosca program was exciting and well-choreographed; I didn't find it "empty", as some have complained. One problem, however, is that Michelle telegraphed her first few jumps a LOT. It was really noticeable and a little surprising, because I don't remember her taking so much time in the past to set up her jumps. But that's really my only criticism. As expected, she got a huge ovation after her performance (and in fact, every time she took the ice). She was clearly the crowd favorite.

Fumie Suguri:
Fumie's program was lovely but she had a lot of mistakes with the jumps. She either stumbled or fell several times. The presentation was pretty, but didn't really command your attention. Not her best effort.

Jennifer Kirk:
Unfortunately Jenny also had problems on her jumps. I think she did land about 5 clean triples but the mistakes on the other jumps definitely detracted from the program. Her presentation was good, but, as with Fumie, didn't really grab you. Although I do love her long program music.

Irina Slutskaya:
Irina skated very well--better than at Worlds! She landed 6 triples by my count and didn't have any major mistakes. This was my first time seeing Irina live, and I can see now what others mean when they say she looks better live than on TV. Seeing her live, you can really appreciate the speed of her spins (which were definitely the fastest among the ladies). And she does have good speed and flow on the ice. However, I still feel her posture is quite poor and there are too many superfluous arm movements in her skating. Also her choreography was not the greatest. But she did skate very well and the audience gave her a big ovation.

Miki Ando
Miki landed a lot of triples, including the triple Lutz/triple loop combo (amazing!) and another triple/triple. I think she may also have landed the quad, but I'm not sure of that. However, overall, her performance really paled in comparison to the other ladies. Her presentation, in my opinion, is quite terrible. Her posture is poor, she has no spark on the ice, and her choreography does not seem to have anything to do with the music. She just has no expression and no stretch. There were grumblings in the audience around me when her marks came up and she was ahead of Irina. Clearly people didn't understand why (probably because they are not aware of how difficult her program is).

Sasha Cohen.
WOW. Last night was a milestone for Sasha! For the first time ever, I think, she skated a clean long program in competition!! By my count, she landed all seven triples cleanly--no stumbles, no falls. She really skated great!! She did the same version of Swan Lake that she used at Worlds, in the same costume from Worlds. The first part of the program was good, but not great (choreography just okay). Then she really started to build momentum as she landed triple after triple. Her spirals and spins at the end were amazing--even more beautiful live than on TV--and the audience gave her a huge ovation (partial standing) at the end. She was really terrific. She won in a close decision over Shizuka, getting mostly 5.9s for technical and 5.9s and 6.0s for presentation. It was the best long program I've ever seen her do (technique-wise) and she seemed overjoyed at the end.

MEN
(roughly in skating order)

I didn't pay quite as close attention to the men as the ladies (and didn't count their jumps), but here's what I remember.

Evan Lysacek:
Evan came out first and really skated quite well. I think he had one mistake on his jumps, but that was it. His presentation was pretty good, although there were some wild arm movements. A good skate.

Evgeny Plushenko:
Plushenko was next and he also skated quite well. He landed a quad/triple combination at the beginning and did at least one triple axel, along with assorted other triples. I liked his program the best out of the men's. The choreography and music work together well, and he's so charismatic that he really draws you in. One thing I did notice is that his spins are very slow and unremarkable. Also, Johnny Weir is right that there is a fair amount of posing and standing in one place. I'd like to see him keep the flow going more in his choreograhy. But overall it was a good skate.

Brian Joubert:
Joubert skated very stongly too. He also landed a quad/triple combination (although the landings were a bit cheated), plus a second quad and many other jumps. One thing you notice, seeing him live, is that his jumps are simply amazing. They look effortless and just seem to float in the air. He gets great height and usually has nice smooth landings with good outflow as well. His spins are better than Plushenko's but could still use improvement. Technically, I think he outjumped Plushenko. However, presentation-wise, Plushenko was probably a little better. Joubert's Matrix program is okay but not great. His marks were a little lower than Plushenko's.

Tim Goebel
Unfortunately Tim had a rough skate. He fell several times and didn't land any quads. I'm not sure if he landed any triple axels either. It seems like his jumps are falling apart at the very moment that his presentation is finally starting to improve. I enjoyed his program aside from the jump problems. But he came in last.

Johnny Weir
Johnny had a great skate. I wasn't keeping track of the jumps but he seemed to land most of them cleanly, including a lovely triple axel/triple toe combo at the beginning. His presentation is very good, his spins are terrific, and he has good speed on the ice. He's just a great skater. I actually think overall he had the best "package" among the men. But without the quad, he came in third behind Joubert and Plushenko.

Michael Weiss
Michael had a rough skate, with a lot of mistakes on the jumps. The presentation was pretty good, but I personally don't like his Civil War program (it's a little too jingoistic for me).

EXHIBITIONS

Inoue and Baldwin
Rena and John skated an exhibition number (not a competitive number). It seemed good, although I think their throw jump was a bit shaky. I like this pair, but my husband didn't care for them much.

Belbin and Agosto
Tanith and Ben skated an exhibition number to the music from Green Acres. The number is obviously new and needs some polishing, but I really enjoyed it! Tanith and Ben are just so fun to watch. They really reach out to the audience and show off the program really well. It's a fun number.

That's all! Overall it was a really great event, especially the ladies' competition, and well worth the price of the tickets.

sk8m8

Final Flight
eryia, thanks so much for the review:)

Sounds like that MK "phoned it in" for her performance. Not that I blame her, it seems pretty strange to have a comps a couple of weeks after worlds. I think I'd rather see a "summer event" where the skaters come and try out their upcoming programs and see what needs work and what gets reactions, especially with the coming of CoP.

I sometimes feel badly for MK (but considering what she makes off her Disney contract, not TOO bad:laugh: ) As many know, she HAS to show up on all televised events that ABC Broadcast. Still, I believe that a so-so MK performance may still beat a "top flight" skate by a lesser skilled skater.

BTW, I WANT MY OLD TIM BACK!!! Please keep him in your thoughts. That has to be too strange to learn that your body mechanics and even the form of your skeleton has changed. I only wish him the best. He's winning his way into my heart as a competitor with the heart of a champion...like Paul Wylie :D

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for the review. I'm delighted for both Sasha & Shizuka. I am glad Sasha's spirit did not wane after loosing gold to Worlds. OTOH, it sounds that Michelle was not her fiery self. I hope this is temporary. I would hate to see her spirit diminish by 2006 the way it did (IMO) in 2002.

Enero

On the Ice
Thanks eyria for the review of the event. It sounds like most of the ladies were solid. I'm so happy that Sasha skated perfectly! And 7 triples amazing!! I hope this momentum continues on into next season.

It was also great hearing that Arakawa is keeping the ante up. I can't wait to see this competition aired.

Great review, Eyria. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for Sasha to keep on building confidence!

Mathman:)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thank you Eyria!

for the wonderful, detailed, positive review:love:!!! Sounds like the cheesefest was a real treat, not cheesy at all!:) I guess here's where the good side of a sport where competitors present the exact same program all year comes into play; we can imagine what a competition was like without needing a full description of every little thing in the program, unless, of course, it's an entirely new program!

Sarah

Nadine

Record Breaker
Excellent report, eyria! (thanks for sharing) :love:

Have been reading numerous reports from ALL over the web regarding this competition........too many to count........and by all accounts, this end-of-the-season comp. was a Must See! :eek: Can't wait to see it on t.v. (no lie); only regret was I wasn't there to see it live. You were so lucky, eyria. :)

Odd, however, that even the USFSA site (not to mention Golden Skate's latest article) didn't get it right ~ Miki Ando landed the 4S!!! YESSSS!!! :love: In fact, a poster over @ FSU by the name of patrickbrunk said that he identified it right away, and it was confirmed as he was walking out of the arena (aka the big screen kept playing Miki's 4S over & over & over again). Furthermore, she was the only one to land TWO 3/3 combos. (i.e. 3Z/3R & 3T/3T). Lastly, she has definitely made the World sit up & take notice of her, as evidenced by her phenomenal debut as a Senior @ 2004 Worlds (not to mention this latest mini competition). And in the process set herself up as a serious contender for the Big One! GOOOOOO MIKI!!! :love:

***Note: btw, also quite pleased that Shizuka Arakawa is doing quite well ~ she's always had it in her, as evidenced by her track record of landing 3/3s & 3/3/2 in past competitions ~ but now she's doing it on a consistent basis. BRAVO! :)^D***

Finally, I'm so happy for Sasha Cohen (& Robin Wagner) ~ what a way to end the season ~ with a PERFECT skate (& 7 triples to boot)!!! :love: There's no telling what possibilities this partnership will produce - the sky's the limit (no lie). Can't wait to watch this one on t.v. too. :)^)

Not to forget to mention Jennifer Kirk & Michelle Kwan ~ I honestly expect these two to come back "fighting" next year! GOOOOOOO LADIES!!! (;^D

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Oops, also GREAT to hear about Irina Slutskaya, especially after the devastating health crisis (& her mom's illness, etc.) she's been through. So glad to hear that the audience has welcomed her back with a splendid ovation. :love:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
From a report I heard, Miki's 4 Sal and both of her 3/3s were underrotated. I heard she rotates so fast that it made her Quad attempt look like a triple.
Impressive that she went for it though...now if only she can attempt some sort of musicality.

Ximena

Final Flight
Definelty it seems a must see competition, I think it's good they skated like that, last year at this same competition, the level of skating was really low, with a few surprises (Like Fumie FS that was gorgeous) this year it seemed most of them skated great.

Prettylayback

Spectator
hmm

Ummm, I have NEVER seen Miki cheat a 3L3loop combo. The second triple toe of her 3t3t combo might have been cheated but I can pretty much garentee her 3L3loop combo wasn't. some one comented on how her 3L3loop at worlds was cheated and it was clean.

I could give a root poot if her 4 s was cheated. If she landed on her feet that is awesome. Props to any women who can do a quad... aka Sasha Cohen and Miki Ando!!!!!!

It might not be consistantly clean but I have seen her land it clean before.

My two favorite skaters in the world.

icedancechic

Rinkside
I agree with prettylayback- Miki's triple-triples are very clean. Her loops are much cleaner than Michelle's!

icewings

Rinkside
Re: hmm

Prettylayback said:
Ummm, I have NEVER seen Miki cheat a 3L3loop combo. The second triple toe of her 3t3t combo might have been cheated but I can pretty much garentee her 3L3loop combo wasn't. some one comented on how her 3L3loop at worlds was cheated and it was clean.

I could give a root poot if her 4 s was cheated. If she landed on her feet that is awesome. Props to any women who can do a quad... aka Sasha Cohen and Miki Ando!!!!!!

It might not be consistantly clean but I have seen her land it clean before.

My two favorite skaters in the world.

Many of Miki's 3/3s are fully rotated--but not all. It is clear as day that she underrotated some at worlds, most blatantly the 3z/3l in the free skate which was about 1/2 a turn cheated
look, I think Miki is *amazing* but that doesn't mean she's always perfect
And let's not put Sasha and Miki in the same category as far as quads go (and if you're going to do that you ought to put surya in there too)