Could Godzilla Ice Skate? We will need to do math! | Golden Skate

Could Godzilla Ice Skate? We will need to do math!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Because it's off-season, and Godzilla is coming back to the cinema, I guess this topic will be very exciting. :laugh:

Okay, they have already do all the math beforehand, you can read those calculation in the following article, :biggrin:I am sure Mathman will love this:

Why would anyone ask if Godzilla could ice skate? Let’s just think of it as a challenge.
The first thing to consider is the compressive strength of ice. I really don’t know everything that goes on when someone (a human) ice skates, but I do know something. If an object has a super large pressure on the ice, the ice is going to break or crack or have some type of destruction. It’s only ice and it can’t take an infinite pressure on it.
Source: http://www.wired.com/2014/05/could-godzilla-ice-skate/

I just wanna ask, what do you think Godzilla should wear, what music he should use as the background, for SP and LP, and who should be his coach? :laugh:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is going to require some serious thought so will post later.

In the meantime, for added interest, maybe Godzilla could consider pairs -- maybe w/ King Kong? :biggrin:

Custom boots/blades may be needed...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You would need to have a rather large slush bucket on hand to repair the divots he makes attempting toe assisted jumps.

I can't explain why but the theme song from Top Gun comes to mind "Danger Zone" for his FS. I'd prefer to see a bit of hipster from Godzilla this time around and out of pure irony it would be fun to see him skate his SP to any of the Nutcrackers delicate movements. Exhibition has to be St Elmo's Fire.

Coach: Mike Tyson/Tonya Harding

Meoima

Match Penalty
You would need to have a rather large slush bucket on hand to repair the divots he makes attempting toe assisted jumps.
I can't explain why but the theme song from Top Gun comes to mind "Danger Zone" for his FS. I'd prefer to see a bit of hipster from Godzilla this time around and out of pure irony it would be fun to see him skate his SP to any of the Nutcrackers delicate movements. Exhibition has to be St Elmo's Fire.
Coach: Mike Tyson/Tonya Harding

Good idea, but who should choreograph for Godzilla, then? :popcorn:

Personally I would love to see Godzilla skating to Linkin Park. :laugh:

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I think before that wouldn't you need to establish whether or not Godzilla can walk on his own two feet? I remember some calculations being done, based on the compressive strength of bone, about how big something could get before it starts breaking its bones with every step, since the area the weight is spread over is squared with size, but the weight would cube with size, and bone has a relatively known and fixed strength. I'd hate for Godzilla to break his leg after doing a triple axel, although it would be strong encouragement for him to have good flow out of the jump.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can he do doughnut spin? Biellmann spin is impossible for him, I suppose. Any chance he can reach level 4 in spin?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think Godzilla can ice skate, sadly. Where are you gonna find ice hard enough for him to stand on, let alone land jumps on? If a human goes down on the ice at eight times body weight on a quad... think of how much impact Godzilla's landing would have.

Assuming Godzilla can ice skate:
Music: Some kind of heavy rock music? He can interject some roars between jumps.
Costume: He'll need something edgy. Black leather? Maybe what Elvis Stojko is wearing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvDu6Y7fZw Of course, it'll need a plethora of holes in the back.
Coach: Morozov? At least that's one student he won't have, um, amorous intentions on.

He can grab his tail on spins. Not sure if that'll count as either donut or Biellmann though. Does that get the levels?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think Godzilla can ice skate, sadly. Where are you gonna find ice hard enough for him to stand on, let alone land jumps on? If a human goes down on the ice at eight times body weight on a quad... think of how much impact Godzilla's landing would have.

Assuming Godzilla can ice skate:
Music: Some kind of heavy rock music? He can interject some roars between jumps.
Costume: He'll need something edgy. Black leather? Maybe what Elvis Stojko is wearing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvDu6Y7fZw Of course, it'll need a plethora of holes in the back.
Coach: Morozov? At least that's one student he won't have, um, amorous intentions on.

He can grab his tail on spins. Not sure if that'll count as either donut or Biellmann though. Does that get the levels?
:laugh: can Tarasova choreograph for Godzilla? Some ballet music might be interesting, though.

He would probably break the ice surface if he stood on it. ;)

The actual article is pretty neat on that point. Given the "compression strength" of ordinary river ice, the author concludes that a creature 2.6 times as big a a human would break the ice. But ice can be made stronger (mostly by increasing the density and lowering the temperature). If skating ice could be created that was ten times as strong as river ice, then a creature that is 26 times as big as a human could skate. Gidzilla is about twice as big as that, though. So he (she?) would need to wear bigger skates to spread the pressure out over a larger area.

The author estimates that Godzilla's skates would need to be 21.6 meters long and the blade would be one meter wide. (no +GOE for deep edges).

I think the first comment tells the story:

Of course Godzilla can ice skate. Godzilla can do whatever he wants 'cause he's the biggest, baddest lizard on the face of the earth.

Presumably Godzilla would make the judges an offer they couldn't refuse. ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5B27Las6tts/Uv0Gh3JTMEI/AAAAAAAAGnc/GmpGph3Xy2M/s1600/GodzillaSkater.jpg

Last edited:
I think before that wouldn't you need to establish whether or not Godzilla can walk on his own two feet? I remember some calculations being done, based on the compressive strength of bone, about how big something could get before it starts breaking its bones with every step, since the area the weight is spread over is squared with size, but the weight would cube with size, and bone has a relatively known and fixed strength. I'd hate for Godzilla to break his leg after doing a triple axel, although it would be strong encouragement for him to have good flow out of the jump.

Yes, I believe that elephants can't jump for that reason. And though elephants did dance, so to speak, in Fantasia, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything larger than an ex-hockey player to do a jump on ice.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dare the judges refuse Godzilla at all? :popcorn:

Personally, I wouldn't want to argue w/ judges OR Godzilla. Sounds like a total no-win to me but then again, confrontation makes me nervous so I tend to avoid it whenever possible... :slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Godzilla should stick to things that Godzilla is good at, like bashing Kaetlyn Osmond and fawning over Gracie Gold. ;)