Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stars on Ice - any chance new Russians will be there?

Custom Title

Stars on Ice 2014

The cast is not announced yet, but the tickets are on sale now, so maybe it's a time to buy good locations now. For those who have more experience with those shows: is there a chance the current champions will be in the cast? Especially Yulia or Adelina? Or even Yuna?
    I want to buy tickets now before it's too late, but I really don't want to be limited to Hammill, Gordeeva and Browning only, even though I respect them a lot. The new youth is the main magnet for me.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The U.S. tour hints in an early January release that Ashley, Gracie, and Meryl & Charlie will be on the tour. Tessa & Scott will almost surely be on the Canadian tour. Other than that, I think fans have to wait till SOI announces the final cast?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The U.S. tour hints in an early January release that Ashley, Gracie, and Meryl & Charlie will be on the tour. Tessa & Scott will almost surely be on the Canadian tour. Other than that, I think fans have to wait till SOI announces the final cast?
    Are SLR cameras (no flash of course) allowed?

Custom Title
    It's great that eligible skaters can skate in SOI, so that current skaters can not only be seen by us but can also gain valuable presentation experience--not to mention advice by the longtime stalwarts of the cast.

It would be nice if Aliona and Robin could at some point take part in SOI. As performers they would enjoy the greater potential for artistry that SOI allows for.

Custom Title
    I doubt julia or adelina go, they have given no indication that they are going to retire. Why do the Stars show that will distract from training and pour more stress on them by being away from home, to a country where they don't speak the language.

Banned
    Russia has nobody the American Stars on Ice would even want now other than Voloshzar & Trankov, but not sure if V&T have any interest or not. The interest in the Russian ladies who are not popular anywhere but Russia would be nil. Stars on Ice tends to prefer North American skaters. They used to have more Russians but that was in the day of more popular Russian stars like Gordeeva & Grinkov, Bechke & Petrov, Kulik, Urmanov, Yagudin, Klimova & Ponomarenko.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I doubt julia or adelina go, they have given no indication that they are going to retire. Why do the Stars show that will distract from training and pour more stress on them by being away from home, to a country where they don't speak the language.
    You don't have to retire to skate in SOI; you can remain eligible. And many SOI people speak Russian.

In the days of the show Champions on Ice, all the international medal winners including Irina Slutskaya took part in an American tour year after year.

On the other hand, these days, Russia itself has enough ice shows (and Europe also has some) that Russian skaters don't need to travel all the way to the U.S. to find opportunities to perform in a show. In fact, there are better, more popular shows in Europe (including Russia) and parts of Asia than there currently are in North America. So yes, it's unlikely that Julia or Adelina would come to SOI. Who knows? Their popularity is so huge right now in Russia that they might get a TV special show planned around them. I don't know if Russia does stuff like that, but the U.S. used to in the days of Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, and Brian Boitano.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Russia has nobody the American Stars on Ice would even want now other than Voloshzar & Trankov, but not sure if V&T have any interest or not. The interest in the Russian ladies who are not popular anywhere but Russia would be nil. Stars on Ice tends to prefer North American skaters. They used to have more Russians but that was in the day of more popular Russian stars like Gordeeva & Grinkov, Bechke & Petrov, Kulik, Urmanov, Yagudin, Klimova & Ponomarenko.
    I was once on SOI and I saw more Russians than Americans. It was directly after Slutskaya and Yagudin retired, but there were many eligible skaters there. And Yulia would be a HUGE magnet. She enjoys a tremendous popularity worldwide. Many people would want to come just to see her.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Virtue/Moir and Chan already were announced as CSOI cast members before Sochi, IIRC. I think maybe Osmond already has been announced too.

Abbott also has been pre-announced for this year's U.S. SOI, along with those mentioned by Doris.

I seem to recall that in 2010, U.S. SOI's cast proved to be largely the American team from Vancouver: Lysacek for a few stops; Abbott; Nagasu; Davis/White; Belbin/Agosto; maybe Evora/Ladwig ...??

The unretired skaters in 2010 only did a limited number of tour stops.

Custom Title
    The unretired skaters in 2010 only did a limited number of tour stops.
    OMG! No! I already bought tickets. At worst I will try to sell them on Craig's list.... :(

I wouldn't yet. The January announcement sounded much more positive for the active skaters than I remember from 2010. The announcement of the cast is so soon, March 4 I think? that you might as well wait and see.

Custom Title
    Here is the schedule from the official website. The tour dates are overlapped among them.

Stars on Ice US: 4/4 - 5/18 http://www.starsonice.com/get-tickets.html

Stars on Ice Japan: 4/12 - 4/20 http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
    Stars on Ice Canada: 4/25 - 5/15 http://www.starsonice.ca/get-tickets.html

It seems they are running two separate teams this year, one for US and the other for Canada/Japan. Most of the cast for the Canadian part is announced already, all of them Canadians. I guess the US tour will be mostly Americans, too.

Canadian tour: Chan, Virtue & Moir, Browning, Rochette, Buttle, Duhamel & Radford, Osmond, Weaver & Poje, and Sawyer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    You don't have to retire to skate in SOI; you can remain eligible.
    I understand that they can skate the SOI and still be eligible for competitions; I was speaking more of the training perspective - if they are doing a bunch of shows then that is (at least from my perspective) likely to take away from their training for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And many SOI people speak Russian.
    But they would still be in the US (if they did SOI) where they would be staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, shopping, etc. around a large amount of people that they can't converse with and maybe can't even understand (not sure what their comprehension of English is - I know they both use a translator for their Q&A's). And both teenagers would, most likely, be away from their families for the duration of the time they are on the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Are SLR cameras (no flash of course) allowed?
    they have been in the past, but you have to follow the rules of both SOI and whatever venue you see the show in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast