Ashley Wagner and the Olympics | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner and the Olympics

erasona

Rinkside
Oh... I see, thanks for the reply! Yep, they are never perfect, but there's always something to admire about these skaters!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't say that Sam, you're the most awesome Yuliatron I know. :)

As I'm fuming over your comment on another thread about her. :laugh: I understand you are not a fan and that's fine but I see no reason not to show her some respect. Hasn't she earned that at least. I do agree with you to an extent on musicality with her and part of me really wants her to take a hip hop dance class or something. I don't think though its as detrimental as you because instead of the music she locks into her programs. So in a way it might add to her consistency. Whoops missed a note here but Zing that 3f was my intention anyway and she doesn't in turn rush her moves to stay on beat. Sometimes when people fall out of sync they can loose the program too. She can go on right thru it without missing a step. Anyway maybe in time it will improve. Maybe not. Some people just don't feel music like the rest of us. Bottom line is she does connect with a certain fan base as evidenced here by her loyal defenders. She is certainly connecting with judges and IMO most importantly the live audiences as we have seen time and time again with standing ovations. I hope to see this trend continue. There is an unexplainable force inside of me that just loves to see that girl smile. :)

On topic:

I must admit I would have made the wrong choice if given the opportunity in sending Ashley to Sochi or not. So here I sit and completely admit that I was wrong at the time . Hindsight and all:slink: She was the best candidate for Olympics and WC.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As I'm fuming over your comment on another thread about her. :laugh: I understand you are not a fan and that's fine but I see no reason not to show her some respect. Hasn't she earned that at least.

Well sure. I didn't think I was disrespectful though. It's just so hard to get amped about these little girls with child bodies...and yeah I'm still smarting over the gushing over HER Schindler's List...

*shrugs* I thought the selectors made the right call at the time. Of course I got hammered for also suggesting that they should have broken tradition for the men's team too, but as it turns out, the prediction that earned me the hater tag was quite right...

Icey

Record Breaker
Given the amount of people who are trying to get citizenship in this country -- and not just to skate in the Olympics -- I don't think everyone agrees with you.

My parents and brother are naturalized Americans (came from Vietnam after the Fall of Saigon) and they are proud of it, even if they don't agree with everything people do here. And they are not disrespectful. So please stop.

With all due respect, People are seeking citizenship in this country because of opportunity, standard of living, etc, not "national character traits". That being said, one is always on very shaky ground assigning character traits to a whole nation.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
With all due respect, People are seeking citizenship in this country because of opportunity, standard of living, etc, not "national character traits". That being said, one is always on very shaky ground assigning character traits to a whole nation.

Of course not. But the people who apply for citizenship voluntarily tend to have great pride for their country and aren't vapid and disrespectful at all. In fact, it's quite the contrary.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner was the "Most Improved" among Team USA's Sochi Olympians, according to this article published today. (And the article includes a great photo of her from Sochi. :))

Gracie beat Ashley every competition since Nationals, whereas prior to that Ashely won all the head-to-heads, so in my mind Gold would be "Most Improved".

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie beat Ashley every competition since Nationals, whereas prior to that Ashely won all the head-to-heads, so in my mind Gold would be "Most Improved".

I think they're going by performance more than placement. Wagner had a terrible Nationals, but redeemed herself in Sochi and at Worlds. Gold was about the same at Nationals as she was in Sochi, and worse at Worlds, so it's hard to consider her the most improved... certainly since the beginning of the season though Gracie has showed much improvement.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gracie was much better in the second half of the season than the first. Wagner was slightly worse overall if anything (although her worlds LP was probably her best skater of the season). More improved between the two is Gold by a landslide. How else has she gone from distant U.S #2 to clear cut U.S #1 (even if CSG is in denial about the latter), while Wagner has gone the reverse.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie was much better in the second half of the season than the first. Wagner was slightly worse overall if anything (although her worlds LP was probably her best skater of the season). More improved between the two is Gold by a landslide. How else has she gone from distant U.S #2 to clear cut U.S #1 (even if CSG is in denial about the latter), while Wagner has gone the reverse.

Clear cut US#1's don't lose the freeskate to both of their teammates at Worlds (and only defeat their teammate by a mere 1.5 points). :sarcasm:

Most improved is a ridiculous discussion anyways. Of course if a skater starts a season horribly, then chances are they will improve as the season goes on. With Ashley starting the season strong, the chance of her being most improved by the end of the season is minimized because she's already pretty good. Obviously Wagner flubbed Nationals, but she had a personal best at Worlds in the FS, which is clearly something Gold failed to come even close to doing.

As the article shows, it's considering Wagner as most improved for how she bounced back after Nationals and almost being left off the team. If you look at Wagner's Nationals skate and her Sochi/Worlds skate, it's much more of an improvement. If you look at Gold's Nationals skate and herWorlds skate, she went down (literally and figuratively) -- although if you compare her Worlds/Sochi skates to her GP skates/US Classic, of COURSE there was improvement.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Clear cut US#1's don't lose the freeskate to both of their teammates at Worlds (and only defeat their teammate by a mere 1.5 points). :sarcasm:

Most improved is a ridiculous discussion anyways. Of course if a skater starts a season horribly, then chances are they will improve as the season goes on. With Ashley starting the season strong, the chance of her being most improved by the end of the season is minimized because she's already pretty good. Obviously Wagner flubbed Nationals, but she had a personal best at Worlds in the FS, which is clearly something Gold failed to come even close to doing.

As the article shows, it's considering Wagner as most improved for how she bounced back after Nationals and almost being left off the team. If you look at Wagner's Nationals skate and her Sochi/Worlds skate, it's much more of an improvement. If you look at Gold's Nationals skate and herWorlds skate, she went down (literally and figuratively) -- although if you compare her Worlds/Sochi skates to her GP skates/US Classic, of COURSE there was improvement.
Then Wagner should never have been considered a clear cut US #1 heading into last season over Gracie considering how Ashley had to hang on to win at Nationals in 2013 when Gracie stomped her in the FS. Or how about barely beating Gold by .57 of a point at the WTT in 2013? Wagner was vulnerable heading into last season though some people seemed to think Gold was not in Ashley's league.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The skater who won U.S Nationals, was the highest placed U.S finisher at the Olympics (by 3 places), and at worlds is the clear cut U.S #1. Who would be close enough to even make her not the clear #1 presently, the skater who finished 4th at Nationals and had to be petitioned onto the Olympic and world teams (amongst huge controversy and disgust), and came only 7th at both Olympics and worlds, never being in even remote contention for a medal? Anyway thanks to CSG for proving me right, he is indeed the only one who denies Gold as clear U.S #1 at this exact moment as I presumed he would, but as in so many other things he is in his own little fantasy world on this one. :sarcasm:

About the "most improved" designation, whoever wrote this article just threw something together to make up a page. This "recognition" is on a par with all the others, like "most likely to be a superhero."

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Then Wagner should never have been considered a clear cut US #1 heading into last season over Gracie considering how Ashley had to hang on to win at Nationals in 2013 when Gracie stomped her in the FS. Or how about barely beating Gold by .57 of a point at the WTT in 2013? Wagner was vulnerable heading into last season though some people seemed to think Gold was not in Ashley's league.

I agree, that it wasn't clear cut if Wagner was US number #1 last year either after Nationals. After all, they were 5th and 6th and Worlds, and close at the WTT.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The skater who won U.S Nationals, was the highest placed U.S finisher at the Olympics (by 3 places), and at worlds is the clear cut U.S #1. Who would be close enough to even make her not the clear #1 presently, the skater who finished 4th at Nationals and had to be petitioned onto the Olympic and world teams (amongst huge controversy and disgust), and came only 7th at both Olympics and worlds, never being in even remote contention for a medal? Anyway thanks to CSG for proving me right, he is indeed the only one who denies Gold as clear U.S #1 at this exact moment as I presumed he would, but as in so many other things he is in his own little fantasy world on this one. :sarcasm:

So, if Wagner had managed to slightly rotate her 3F a bit more and beat Gold at Worlds, instead of losing by a miniscule 1.42 points, all of a sudden your opinion would be changed? (Not to mention, Gold's PCS in the SP and FS were much higher than they should have been.) Wagner beat her by over 5 points in the FS, and even Edmunds beat her in the FS. Both her teammates beat Gold by over 5 points technically -- Wagner's TES in the FS: 63.64, Edmunds' TES in the FS: 66.39, Gold's TES in the FS: 58.58. Gold's PCS (even inflated) was less than a point higher than Wagner's in the FS, too. Wagner also outscored Gold in PCS in the SP, even with an error. I agree that Gold has the edge at this point, but "clear cut" should refer to things like Chan being the clear cut #1 over Reynolds, or Kostner being the clear cut Italian #1 over Marchei, or Asada being the clear cut Japanese #1 over Murakami and Suzuki (even if she lost Nationals to them).

Saying Gold is the clear cut US #1 is like saying Sui/Han is the clear cut Chinese #1 pair. Clear cut means definitively and with little doubt. A 1.42 point margin of victory isn't "clear cut", and it certainly doesn't guarantee that if Gold and Wagner competed at this very moment Gold would without any doubt come out on top (even if the past few results have been over Wagner).

Also, if you're going to deride Wagner for "coming only 7th at both Olympics and Worlds and never being in even remote contention for a medal", Gold herself wasn't even close to a medal in Sochi, and was well off the podium in Saitama (Wagner was less points from the Saitama podium than Gold was from the Sochi podium, btw). And at least Wagner stayed on her feet in Sochi and Saitama, which can't be said for Gold who had at least one fall (and often other errors) in all her international freeskates last season.

You honestly consider a skater who fell in every international competition last season, and who has yet to win any international competition, to be the clear cut, without-a-doubt, US #1... think about that. :rolleye: