Compare David Wilson and Lori Nicol's Choreography | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Compare David Wilson and Lori Nicol's Choreography

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Sasha's Romeo & Juliet was a perfect blend of the original Tatiana/Nikolai choreography fine tuned by David Wilson.
Which brings me to a pet peeve of mine, I wish that the skaters would shake things up a little and work with different choreographers throughout their careers. It would greatly expand the artistry of the sport.
This year Yuna's programs while lovely seemed too safe, while Ashley clearly was out of her safety zone and went backward.

Yes, perhaps that was why R&J was so good. The fact that multiple people worked on it made everyone's strengths stand out.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
This year Yuna's programs while lovely seemed too safe, while Ashley clearly was out of her safety zone and went backward.

That's the danger in sticking with what you know (you become stagnant) or stepping outside of your comfort zone (it may not work). That was the case for Yu-Na and Ashley this season. Yu-Na's programs were good but not great IMO. Both programs were quiet and lovely, but not the kind of programs you want in an Olympic year where it's all about leaving a big and lasting impression on the ice.

Wilson's R&J was a decent program but it just didn't fit Ashley's style of skating. As someone said, Wilson's style is very dramatic; to me, Ashley's style is more about strength and power. Those two styles didn't mesh well and what we ended up with was a lackluster program that Ashley just couldn't get into...R&J actually hurt her last season.

I really hope Ashley gives Philip Mills a call for this season. She should keep Bourne for her SP choreographer and have Mills do her FS. That's what I'd do if I were her...

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
I love that Lori's programs tend to develop a character and tell a story. David's programs seem to showcase the skating skills of each athlete he choreographs for. They both are great in their own ways and I appreciate that their work has produced many medal winning programs.