Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compare David Wilson and Lori Nicol's Choreography

Custom Title
    I think Wilson's R&J for Sasha was quite good as well. Not often talked about as far as good Wilson pieces go, but she was able to truly emote in it (and won an olympic silver medal!).

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Wilson did that one too, as Carne already answered. I really loved Bond too but, for me, my 2nd favorite SP from Yu-Na was Tango de Roxanne, which David did not choreograph. Tom Dickson did that one.
    Ha. I was going to say that I like very much Roxanne too. In fact I'm watching it right now.

I too prefer Yu-Na's SPs to her FSs. My two favorite FS are Lark and Homage. The others were nice but those two were the remarkable/masterpiece ones. As far as SPs go I think Danse, Tango, Bond and Die Fledermaus were wonderful and I thought Send in the Clowns was lovely. Giselle was okay; I didn't care for Kiss of the Vampire.
    I like Lark too, didn't care much about the rest of her LP's tbh, except Vancouver (maybe because of her wonderful performance there), but I do prefer Les Mis to Adiós Nonino. Maybe because of the choice of music, I don't know.

One thing I love about Lori's work (don't know about David regarding this aspect) is how she seems to know music very well and how she tries to make the skaters understand what a specific piece means, what was it composed for etc. and/or she tries to teach them how to "feel" a specific piece, so when they skate to it they can understand what they're doing better.
    I remember for example that when she choreographed Evan's 2010 SP he made him spend on day in the forest to win his fear for birds (or something like this); or that Caro said in an interview that for her Mozart FS she studied Mozart's life and she then began to appreciate him as the "Lady Gaga of his age", and this helped her a lot in intepreting the music (other examples here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...eography-field ). This is what "choreography" should really mean for a top-level skater who wants to be an artist!

I agree, though, that both Nichol and Wilson don't pack their programs with a lot of transitions recently (maybe it is what the skaters themselves want?), while I find Osmond's choreographer's work very very well done in terms of transitions: her programs are always FULL of transitions! But, again, maybe it depends on the skater...

Medalist
    Sometimes, Wilson's music-cuts are so sophiscated but hard to understand easily..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    I think Wilson's R&J for Sasha was quite good as well. Not often talked about as far as good Wilson pieces go, but she was able to truly emote in it (and won an olympic silver medal!).
    Sasha's Romeo & Juliet was a perfect blend of the original Tatiana/Nikolai choreography fine tuned by David Wilson.
    Which brings me to a pet peeve of mine, I wish that the skaters would shake things up a little and work with different choreographers throughout their careers. It would greatly expand the artistry of the sport.
    This year Yuna's programs while lovely seemed too safe, while Ashley clearly was out of her safety zone and went backward.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscorp6 View Post
    Sasha's Romeo & Juliet was a perfect blend of the original Tatiana/Nikolai choreography fine tuned by David Wilson.
    Which brings me to a pet peeve of mine, I wish that the skaters would shake things up a little and work with different choreographers throughout their careers. It would greatly expand the artistry of the sport.
    This year Yuna's programs while lovely seemed too safe, while Ashley clearly was out of her safety zone and went backward.

Yes, perhaps that was why R&J was so good. The fact that multiple people worked on it made everyone's strengths stand out.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscorp6 View Post
    That's the danger in sticking with what you know (you become stagnant) or stepping outside of your comfort zone (it may not work). That was the case for Yu-Na and Ashley this season. Yu-Na's programs were good but not great IMO. Both programs were quiet and lovely, but not the kind of programs you want in an Olympic year where it's all about leaving a big and lasting impression on the ice.

Wilson's R&J was a decent program but it just didn't fit Ashley's style of skating. As someone said, Wilson's style is very dramatic; to me, Ashley's style is more about strength and power. Those two styles didn't mesh well and what we ended up with was a lackluster program that Ashley just couldn't get into...R&J actually hurt her last season.

I really hope Ashley gives Philip Mills a call for this season. She should keep Bourne for her SP choreographer and have Mills do her FS. That's what I'd do if I were her...

Tripping on the Podium
    I love that Lori's programs tend to develop a character and tell a story. David's programs seem to showcase the skating skills of each athlete he choreographs for. They both are great in their own ways and I appreciate that their work has produced many medal winning programs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2