Bookstore on My Mind. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Bookstore on My Mind.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
If you love mysteries, this store is definitely worth a visit in NYC. Sadly, it's the last of its kind here. There used to be one in my neighborhood called "Murder Ink" that I loved, not just for the books but also for its 2 kitties-in-residence, one of whom was a huge handsome longhair named Clouseau!

http://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/

A mystery bookstore! How lovely. I feel a special obligation toward independent bookstores. Nowadays I even feel obligated to buy at Barnes & Noble, because even they are endangered by Amazon and other online enterprises. Look what happened to Borders.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
not just for the books but also for its 2 kitties-in-residence

I love the sleeping kitties at Bleeker Street Records. Every time I'm in New York I intend to visit two places, the Village Vanguard and those kitties at BSR. The one below is always sleeping it seems :toocute:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MUeoTbN0E0s/UhVmA58k2EI/AAAAAAAAVpQ/ycB8MHw2sqo/s1600/P1100488.jpg

I agree with Olympia in regards to Barnes and Noble almost being as volatile as a mom and pops store. I only buy books in bookstores and I always will although I see the benefits of online shopping. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I have bought only a few things online. One was a DVD I couldn't get anywhere--a lovely little TV production called Who Am I This Time, a from a short story about a small town theater group with a very young Christopher Walken and Susan Sarandon, and one was an obscure Ellis Peters mystery from her earliest writing years, with a modern setting (not a Brother Cadfael). I might someday also order the movie Agatha, which I have on videocassette only. It's a splendid little story based on a real-life incident in Agatha Christie's life, where she disappeared for about a week and then turned up with no explanation. Vanessa Redgrave is splendid as Agatha, and Dustin Hoffman and Timothy Dalton costar.

But everything else seems to come to me in time in real bookstores, if I'm patient and just keep looking.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
My big adventure today was a visit to Bleecker Street Records -- thanks for the tip, S-S! Music stores (CDs/vinyl/sheet music) are also dying in NYC, just like bookstores, so it was wonderful to be able to walk in and browse. I came home with 2 treasures: a Bill Evans CD called Piano Player and a collection of some of Odetta's greatest hits, including my personal favorite, All the Pretty Little Horses. Listening to Bill right now w/ Odetta cued up and ready to go.

Also got to meet your kitty friend, who was dozing per usual. She gave my hand a casual lick but also allowed me to rub her tummy. :love:

I'm sure this was just the first of many visits. Thanks again! :bow:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's another truly noteworthy NY bookstore: Strand Books, which may be the last big independent one in this town. Their trademark is "miles of shelves" and they ain't kidding. The selection is phenomenal but the best thing is that almost all the books are 1/2 list price so you can go a little bonkers and still not break the bank. And it goes without saying that you can browse to your heart's content.

I started thinking today about some of the incredible bookstores that were thriving in NY when I first moved here: Brentano's, Coliseum Books, Scribner's. All gone now. :cry: (sheesh, starting to sound like my grandparents...) Lord knows I've done my share of online shopping, especially for hard-to-find things, as Olympia mentioned. But there's simply nothing that can replace the pleasure of dropping into a bookstore or music store and coming out with unexpected finds that just popped up while you were looking for something else. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strand_Bookstore

www.strandbooks.com

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Skatedreamer

Glad you enjoyed Bleeker Street Records. Quite jealous but my smile was so huge when I read your adventure that I soon forgot my pety selfishness. I too have pet that fat cats tummy :laugh: On my last trip I bought some weird Prince record from the 80's that I never heard again after leaving the store. I wonder how long it stayed circulating the subway? I left it on the train back to Times Square :slink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBE3vAfYj0M

Ever seen this video?

http://youtu.be/MdSf_wiMVMc

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nope, never saw the video (or heard of Taj Mahal :slink:) but liked it so much that I clicked on several more and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3qCtxfIDQ

The harmonica is fabulous!

Also, forgot to mention before that I said hello to the Bleecker St kitty for you. :) Re: jealousy, just remember that you can skate, my friend -- something I only do in my dreams! Have tried, but my ankles can't seem to cope. Maybe in my next life... :laugh:

BusyMom

Medalist
If you love mysteries, this store is definitely worth a visit in NYC. Sadly, it's the last of its kind here. There used to be one in my neighborhood called "Murder Ink" that I loved, not just for the books but also for its 2 kitties-in-residence, one of whom was a huge handsome longhair named Clouseau!

http://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/
I read in my local English newspaper a few years back about Murder Ink closing the door after all these years. :cry: My father got a signed copy of one of the books of the same name. The author was the original owner of the store. Don't remember his/her name though.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I read in my local English newspaper a few years back about Murder Ink closing the door after all these years. :cry: My father got a signed copy of one of the books of the same name. The author was the original owner of the store. Don't remember his/her name though.

The writer's name was Dilys Winn. How cool that your dad got a copy w/ her autograph! (Google is great; it makes me look so much smarter than I really am. :laugh:) http://inreferencetomurder.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Also discovered in my Google travels that there was a Murder Ink store in Dublin, too; not sure if the NY & Dublin stores had any connection. It's now closed, too. :cry:

http://crimealwayspays.blogspot.com/2010/04/all-she-wrote-murder-ink-rip.html

BusyMom

Medalist
The writer's name was Dilys Winn. How cool that your dad got a copy w/ her autograph! (Google is great; it makes me look so much smarter than I really am. :laugh:) http://inreferencetomurder.typepad.com/my_weblog/
My father took me to the store once while we went to visit my sister whom at the time did the MBA in the States. He bragged about the book to the store clerk that was why I remember. :laugh: He was a the biggest geek I've known.

My father took me to the store once while we went to visit my sister whom at the time did the MBA in the States. He bragged about the book to the store clerk that was why I remember. :laugh: He was a the biggest geek I've known.

Your dad sounds cool! I'm glad you got to visit such a great store. Specialized independent bookstores are jewels that need to be protected if at all possible. It's good to know that at least some of them still exist.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I work in a University bookstore so bookstores are always "on my mind" you could say! Yes, it is becoming more and more challenging to compete with the online stores. We are always reinventing our store to keep it going. The students have lots of options available to them. I still love to drop in to my local bookstore and browse at all the books. I also love the library. It's good to know there are still bookstore enthusiasts out there.:biggrin:

BusyMom

Medalist
Your dad sounds cool! I'm glad you got to visit such a great store. Specialized independent bookstores are jewels that need to be protected if at all possible. It's good to know that at least some of them still exist.
I was 12 at the time and wasn't that much appreciated as much as I should. :cry:

As Henry James Quote: It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature. Only way we keep these precious trades is to keep support them. Who knows it might be back in fashion in the near future. Like in the UK, London's Shoreditch becomes writers' block during the last decade. There are so many cool bookstores around the area. Book clubs are one of the prominent activities with amazingly quite a number of young generation participants.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I work in a University bookstore so bookstores are always "on my mind" you could say! Yes, it is becoming more and more challenging to compete with the online stores. We are always reinventing our store to keep it going. The students have lots of options available to them. I still love to drop in to my local bookstore and browse at all the books. I also love the library. It's good to know there are still bookstore enthusiasts out there.:biggrin:

The Columbia University bookstore is now run by Barnes & Noble, which gives me an odd feeling. :confused:

All the usual Columbia merchandise & textbooks are available, of course, but it's set up & decorated like a B&N and the bags and register receipts all say B&N. Even the big chains are endangered these days so it bothers me less it might have 10 years ago, but it still seems strange to see a college bookstore being operated by a chain. I'm not familiar with any others -- do you know if this is a trend?

And yes, libraries ain't what they used to be, either! Major cutbacks in funding and hours; fewer book purchases; the list goes on...

LRK

Record Breaker
The libraries here seem to still be in good stead (touch wood!), at least the one's in my area... And I do feel I'm doing my part, as I've got 54 books at home at the moment... ;)

BusyMom

Medalist
The libraries here seem to still be in good stead (touch wood!), at least the one's in my area... And I do feel I'm doing my part, as I've got 54 books at home at the moment... ;)
:bow: They let you get that much out?

LRK

Record Breaker
:bow: They let you get that much out?

I've had over 100 in the past, though... I thought I was "bad" but then someone told me there was a lady that had so much more! Sigh.... You can never be the worst at anything, can you? So, I decided to scale down a little... ;)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Yikes, have you read all of them yet? :)

One of my hobbies is jewelry-making (beading). Mentioning it b/c I have so many beads at home that I could pretty much start a store on my own. Can actually control myself when it comes to books & CDs but with beads it's hopeless. :eek: :disapp: