Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Bookstore on My Mind.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Here to feed your enthusiasm : http://uguisustore.com/
    Oh, how gorgeous. Thanks so much for this delectable link.

LRK, you have to take a look also. Just as a feast for the eyes, with no purchasing plans at all, it's rewarding.

Custom Title
    My pleasure. Not so sure that I should posted the link or not. Hope it is allowed to do so.

Custom Title
    If there's a problem, the mods will fix it. But I think you're allowed as long as you've been here for a certain number of posts. (I, being a chatterbox, reached the number very early on!) I've never heard of a problem posting links to a business; after all, the Vogue covers with YuNa and Mao are commercial, and we've also had links to product ads YuNa has made. But again, the mods will sort it out.

Meanwhile, the images on that site are yummy!

Custom Title
    Thank you. It is great, isn't it? I couldn't help myself!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    http://www.powells.com/locations/

Son Ken's favorite book store in Portland,Oregon, is Powell's. It's huge!

My 2 favorite local book shops both closed
    I love Powell's! I go to PDX every few months, so I always make a point to pay a visit there.

My town is really unusual in that all the chain bookstores went out of business (we had a Borders) but we still have a delightful mom-and-pop bookstore that has continued to grow and thrive. My newspaper actually has a cool partnership where we have the owner and her staff write book reviews for our weekly entertainment magazine.

When I was in Boston for U.S. Nationals, Mr. P and I got to visit Trident Booksellers and Cafe. Not only can you look at books, you can eat delicious food too. Here was my breakfast: http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hph...62212534_n.jpg

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

My town is really unusual in that all the chain bookstores went out of business (we had a Borders) but we still have a delightful mom-and-pop bookstore that has continued to grow and thrive. My newspaper actually has a cool partnership where we have the owner and her staff write book reviews for our weekly entertainment magazine.
    That's a luxury I don't have. You're so lucky. It is my ideal kind of town. 24-hours services and deliveries McDonald's, Burger King, supermarket and 7-Eleven are my luxury. For the past days, everything shut down at 10pm due to the coup making me realize how much we rely on these modern services and not being well-prepared.

Anyway, I saw the TV program about the bookstore in Taipei called "Eslite. Very big with restaurant and café. And, of course, opens 24-hours. I looked up their website but it is in Chinese so I put the Wiki page instead.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eslite_Bookstore

Custom Title
    Oh, my goodness, that's right--you're in Thailand. I hope things go well and that you and your loved ones are safe and able to conduct life peacefully. I understand being used to having services and conveniences and then suddenly not having them--when we had the superstorm, we lost power and heat and even water for days. Things worked out eventually, but life was immeasurably harder for a long while. I hope things work out well for you all.

Thanks for the link to the Taipei store. Imagine a bookstore that's open 24 hours!

Custom Title
    Thank you for your concern. Military Coup in Thailand is a bit different. In the past few years we have had some protests, martial laws, and military coups every once in a while. Not really interfere with people life in general. If you ignore the fact about the tank passing by your street nothing changed much. We getting the chances to buy soldiers drinking water and lunch boxes to show our gratitude for their services is a big plus.

Custom Title
    Check this out- Kansas City Public Library. Not a bookstore but it's so cool! https://twitter.com/planetepics/stat...767296/photo/1

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Check this out- Kansas City Public Library. Not a bookstore but it's so cool! https://twitter.com/planetepics/stat...767296/photo/1
    That is by definition a "Book" store.

At the risk of running off topic check out this building! http://timbuktu.me/blog/wp-content/u...ps_300-dpi.jpg My parents went there and sent me a postcard a few years back. My dad loved those Longaberger baskets.

To go back on topic I found this the other day and forgot to post it.

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/0...und-the-world/

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Do you remember the time when we spent endless hours in the charming bookstore?

Since on-line stores give you more flexible and more convenient purchases, we seem to find ourselves less and less time to visit the old fashion bookstore. Like in the movie "You've Got Mail.", little book shops has been wiped out by the mega chain stores. I miss the unique smell of the old papers and resourceful clerks.
    I love the smell of the books, especially the old ones. I continue to go and buy books, new and used every month.
    Two from 3 books per month is my ration.

My boyfriend bought me the Kindle this year as a present for my birthday. It's a very nice thing and certainly very usuful when you're travelling.
    I'm using it for big volumes and as I said when I'm travelling.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I love the smell of the books, especially the old ones. I continue to go and buy books, new and used every month.
    Two from 3 books per month is my ration.

My boyfriend bought me the Kindle this year as a present for my birthday. It's a very nice thing and certainly very usuful when you're travelling.
    I'm using it for big volumes and as I said when I'm travelling.
    I have become a Kindle apologist since my husband got me one a few years ago. Very simply, if you do not have perfect vision or vision correctable to perfect, eReaders can be your best friend. And I am not talking about you need glasses or contacts or had to have LASIK (if LASIK worked for you, you were not in my shoes and certainly not in my mother's shoes), I'm talking about those among us who have blank or dark spots, or foggy spots, or severe light sensitivity, or whose vision cannot be completely corrected with glasses or contacts, or have a weak retina that does not allow you to properly focus all the time or for long periods...By the time I got the Kindle, I could read from a page for maybe an hour before I had symptoms of eye strain and had to stop. With it, I can adjust fonts, size and spacing and read all day when I want to.

When friends find out I read almost exclusively on a Kindle, I hear this, always, "But I thought you were a book lover". I am. But if I want to read them regularly, I need them in a format that is easier for my eyes. If I continue to exclusively buy print books, they end up being pretty things sitting in my house. I still buy one occasionally, usually non-fiction things with pictures and such that are better to have in that form. But it takes a long while to actually read those.

So don't curse the eReader all the time. That technology is allowing a lot of people to continue to read. Including me and my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    When friends find out I read almost exclusively on a Kindle, I hear this, always, "But I thought you were a book lover". I am. But if I want to read them regularly, I need them in a format that is easier for my eyes. If I continue to exclusively buy print books, they end up being pretty things sitting in my house. I still buy one occasionally, usually non-fiction things with pictures and such that are better to have in that form. But it takes a long while to actually read those.

So don't curse the eReader all the time. That technology is allowing a lot of people to continue to read. Including me and my mother.
    Not at all. I love Kindle, I think it's a great thing and not only for people with the problem that you mentioned but for everybody.
    I was very sceptic about it because I love books, but as I said for me is very usuful when I travel or read big volumes. I read when I'm in bed a lot so big books are difficult to handle.
    Furthermore you can put a lot of books in it. My house is full of books, even in kitchen and the bedroom. I don't know where to put them.
    It's just that I still do prefer to buy books. I would never want books, in printing, to die.
    Furthermore it happened once that my kindle was blocked, stucked. I don't know what happened but for about 5 minutes I was trying to change the page, to continue reading, and I couldn't. I had to switch it off and restart again but with difficulty.
    You can't imagine how frustrated I felt. It was a strange feeling and I said to myself, you can always rely on the book.

Kindle is gorgeous though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Not at all. I love Kindle, I think it's a great thing and not only for people with the problem that you mentioned but for everybody.
    I was very sceptic about it because I love books, but as I said for me is very usuful when I travel or read big volumes. I read when I'm in bed a lot so big books are difficult to handle.
    Furthermore you can put a lot of books in it. My house is full of books, even in kitchen and the bedroom. I don't know where to put them.
    It's just that I still do prefer to buy books. I would never want books, in printing, to die.
    Furthermore it happened once that my kindle was blocked, stucked. I don't know what happened but for about 5 minutes I was trying to change the page, to continue reading, and I couldn't. I had to switch it off and restart again but with difficulty.
    You can't imagine how frustrated I felt. It was a strange feeling and I said to myself, you can always rely on the book.

Kindle is gorgeous though.
    My mother can't read from a book at all anymore. Not even large print. So, no, the bolded is not true for everyone. I love books, too. I really do. I was the eReader skeptic saying all this stuff. Then my eyes betrayed me. I would have probably had to drop out of grad school without it. And I get really tired of the whole "but, books..." thing which is really negative about technology that is truly helping people. Everyone forgets that it is serving needs they have never thought about. And those of us with vision difficulties that fall in the middle of "get LASIK" and completely blind are a completely under served population that most people do not realize even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    My mother can't read from a book at all anymore. Not even large print. So, no, the bolded is not true for everyone. I love books, too. I really do. I was the eReader skeptic saying all this stuff. Then my eyes betrayed me. I would have probably had to drop out of grad school without it. And I get really tired of the whole "but, books..." thing which is really negative about technology that is truly helping people. Everyone forgets that it is serving needs they have never thought about. And those of us with vision difficulties that fall in the middle of "get LASIK" and completely blind are a completely under served population that most people do not realize even exist.
    I'm sorry but I was speaking for myself not for the whole humanity louisa. Don't take it personally.
    As I said, I have the Kindle, I make use of it and I like it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast