South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU. | Page 6 | Golden Skate

South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU.

Amei

Record Breaker
It is so completely laughable that people are NOW claiming that the "original rule was unfair" and "I was glad it was removed" and "it was a positive step to get rid of that rule."

No way. Nobody ever cared about this rule when it existed, it's obvious that few people even knew that it existed and applied to every single host country before, and most outside of Korean skating fans didn't care when it was removed.

How is it laughable that someone says - they weren't aware of the original rule but when they learned about it, they said it isn't/wasn't fair and they are glad it was removed? And from what's been said - it's rarely been applied - if ever, so a fan's knowledge of the rule is highly unlikely.

No, you don't know that it's the "only way". You can't see into the future. The Korean ice dance team could likely qualify on their own if they keep progressing at the rate they have. And who knows? Maybe a Korean pairs team could surprise us.

So right now, it's just insurance.

You are right I can't see into the future, but a quick Wikipedia search and South Korea only has 1 Ice Dance team (no nationals were mentioned for Pairs) and their total score was 105 points, the last place finisher at the 2014 Worlds scored 124 points - it's not that far-fetched to say that if this rule is in place it sounds like that will be how their team(s) get into the Olympics not based off performance.

Whether or not the rule is actually applied shouldn't matter on whether it should exist. So it's okay for Russia to have been protected by the rule since it didn't actually need it, but it's not okay for Korea to be protected by the rule since it may need it? The arguments in this thread are getting worse and worse.

Well if you read my entire post- I said regardless of what nation it's an unfair rule. And it's a rule that should have been taken out years ago, now it has been and shouldn't be put back into the rules. People are on this board preaching about how they need to make the sport more fair and when they do, they are criticized. And you are right - regardless of whether a rule is actually applied shouldn't matter on whether it should exist - and (As far as I'm concerned) it's rule that shouldn't be on the books.

seabm7

Final Flight
You are right I can't see into the future, but a quick Wikipedia search and South Korea only has 1 Ice Dance team (no nationals were mentioned for Pairs) and their total score was 105 points, the last place finisher at the 2014 Worlds scored 124 points - it's not that far-fetched to say that if this rule is in place it sounds like that will be how their team(s) get into the Olympics not based off performance.

Just for your information:

The dance team you mentioned, Min/Koleto, was the only senior team at the Korean national. Koleto had switched to ice dance just recently. I'd rather say they had a decent start as a dance team.

Korea has another dance couple, Kim/Minov, who went to Junior Worlds and got 6th. This team skipped the Korean national. Their score at the Junior Worlds was 133.35.

hyperbunny

Rinkside

Just for your information:

The dance team you mentioned, Min/Koleto, was the only senior team at the Korean national. Koleto had switched to ice dance just recently. I'd rather say they had a decent start as a dance team.

Korea has another dance couple, Kim/Minov, who went to Junior Worlds and got 6th. This team skipped the Korean national. Their score at the Junior Worlds was 133.35.

I've done a little more research on the dance teams.
At Junior Worlds, Kim/Minov received Level 4 and Level 3 (respectively) for their Quickstep Patterns. At Four Continents, Min/Koleto received Level 4 and Level 3 on their Finnstep, bested only by Hubble/Donahue, who received 4 and 4 (and went on to win the whole event).

BOTH teams in Short and Free completed all Level 4 Lifts, and Level 4 Spin. Min/Koleto seemed to have had a few Twizzle issues and settled for Level 3 (though they completed Level 4 Twizzles at most other competitions last season that I was able to look up. Nerves?). Otherwise, the only notable difference between the two teams is Footwork Levels and PCS.

I think with 4 years of exposure and experience, South Korea will have a strong dance team for 2018, regardless of the means it takes to qualify.