Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do To "Quench" Your Figure Skating Thirst In The Off Season?

nthuz
    For me, this is the season. Club level competition starts now!

edited to add:
    Now I turn my attention to unseenskaters.com
    Last edited by nthuz; 04-07-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I joined this forum immediately after worlds because I couldnt bare the thought of weeks without figure skating conversations!!! I'll focus more of my attention into my last semester of college, and I plan on picking up recreational skating this summer as a new rink is opening near my home.

I'm also working on a few childrens books that deal with themes of sportsmanship and accomplishment.

Hickie!
    I work throughout the summer, saving money so that I can once again semi-afford school. I have a lot of plans with my friends get together and go different places, plus their birthdays are mostly in the summer. I will be assisting my coach with her students in during spring school, so that I can complete the coaching course I'm working on. The skating message boards and summer competitions help fill the voids too.

Wow, so many of you have such worthy pursuits this off-season. I'm impressed. I'm dusting off my golf clubs and heading for the golf course as soon as it warms up a bit. I'm one of those golfers that only golfs when the weather is between 70 and 80 degrees. (I'm really limited as to a time frame, but that gives me about three months in the spring-summer, and then three months late summer-fall)........:\ 42

Skating Soprano
    Ill be breaking in my new skates. Then Ill focus on my own skating.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Well, I know that I've taped a LOT of skating stuff this year that I've not watched yet so that will keep me going for quite a while this summer. If I can get through it all, LOL I also have an Anabelle Langlois and Patrice Archetto compilation tape that I've been working on this year and I have to get their most recent stuff on the tape. I just haven't had time to finish that this year yet! :(

For the summer though, I also turn my attention to the baseball season (Go Reds and Angels!) and I am looking foward to seeing the Olys from Athens later this year as well. I have no long vacations planned for this summer so I can save my vacation days for random skating adventures in the fall and spring as well as for Portland when I go to US Nats 2005 in January. Lots to look foward to for sure. I wish I wasn't so boring, LOL :D

Well my other love is Baseball. GO BRAVES! So luckily that lasts the entire off-season. And there's a game pretty much everyday so taht occupies my time just fine.

wvgal...when I was a kid I wanted a Tennessee Walker SO bad!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    show 42:

I used to skate in the summer. That is the best way I know to "quench" my thirst between seasons, but I am not very ambitious anymore, so don't get to the rink as often as I dream about it so, my skates will sit in the closet getting dull. As always, I will drive by a rink on my way to work wishing I was there instead....

Custom Title

cianni

I go up to U of Del skating arena and watch the skaters. Never know who will be there. No more Jonny Weir but others are lots of fun to watch. Its cool in there when its so hot we cant breathe.

I'm toying with the idea of driving 3 hours to the coast to San Jose and see COI there this summer. There are several skaters performing that I haven't seen before..........and there's baseball of course....we're Giants fans, and usually make the trek to San Francisco several times during the season to watch. Their new ball park, South Bell Park (formally called 3-Com Park) is right on the ocean, and at night you can see the big ships and sailing ships lit up and sailing into the harbor....gorgeous.....42

Argentinian wonder ;)
    Oh..I completly forgot , I'll be buried up to my neck in law books that I need to study if I want to graduate sometime this century:D

I watch NASCAR!!!

Medalist

Question

Hmmmmmmm....let's see....I clean up my outdoor space and swim all summer several times a day. As I noted on another thread, I watch my old skating tapes over and over, and bug other people to see their tapes if I don't have those particular competitions in my tape collection. I also tape ballroom dancing competitions and watch them sometimes in the "off" season.

I keep an eye out for skating-related yard sale and boutique-type items and I buy them and stuff them into nooks and crannies all over the house. For instance, I have a century-old pair of rusty hand-made skates proudly displayed in my formal living room. I like to look at them, but I don't know if anyone else really knows what they are.

I sometimes go to local rinks and watch practices, especially when there is a local competition coming along and everyone is frantically preparing.

I read about and research historical topics.

Oh, and I DO have a job, too. I squeeze it in.

Pip, you are busy........I also collect anything "apple", dishes, art, coasters, towels, you name it, I've probably got it.......I've got a large collection of wooden apples......why, I have no idea.....42

Well, right now, I'm getting ready for my college roommate's birthday celebration - the Big 4-0. So, next weekend, I'm headed for western MA for her surprise party. Come back Sunday. Leave for Chicago on Wednesday to join her and others for her 'I don't want to be home to hear all the comments about my 40th birthday' trip. We've got tickets for a taping of Oprah and dinner at Charlie Trotter's on her actual birthday (the 22nd) and then I'm sure we have lots of other things to do.

When that's all over, it's time to...
    * Get out the golf clubs.
    * Prepare to be in my cousin's wedding party on August 8th, which entails buying a dress, etc.
    The worst part will be planning the bridal shower with the high-maintenance, totally disorganized, always late maid-of-honor. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I've been asked to be part of the festivities and the maid-of-honor and I are friends (sort of) - I just know that it's going to be agonizing because she can't even organize a dinner part for 6 (she's 5 for 5 on the dinner party snafus).
    * Save this season's skating on to DVD from my TiVo (I can't retain anything else for more than 3 days since it's filled with skating)
    * Copy old skating tapes to DVD.
    *After the wedding, start thinking about what I want to see in the Ashville, NC area when we gather for my 40th bday trip.
    * Make new friends & plans to spend time with old friends.
    + Make sure I'm registered to vote in the presidential elections.

Hopefully, work won't interfere too much - although these 4 hour meetings must be leading to something big. Ugh.
    Last edited by heyang; 04-10-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast